PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't install 12.04 w windows Asus 1001p

tt9024
May 26th, 2012, 09:14 PM
I have an Asus 1001p netbook with Windows 7 starter. I downloaded 12.04 and burned it to a CD on another machine and verified it. On the netbook, 12.04 seems to run just fine from CD in the "try it" mode. When I choose to install it alongside Windows, it churns very briefly and then displays a few messages in white text on a black screen. The last of these messages is "Asking all remaining processes to terminate" followed by [OK] and then a little below that are the five dots alternating between white and orange and then below that a message to "Please remove installation media and close the tray (if any) then press ENTER." If I remove the CD and close the tray and press ENTER, the system reboots into Windows. If I leave the CD in and close the tray and press ENTER, the system reboots from the CD as though I was starting all over again. If I wait and do nothing, nothing happens, other than the alternating white and orange dots. I saw some other forum posts about pressing shift while rebooting, but that has no effect. What am I missing? Thanks.

danubu
May 30th, 2012, 11:58 PM
I have an Asus 1001p netbook with Windows 7 starter. I downloaded 12.04 and burned it to a CD on another machine and verified it. On the netbook, 12.04 seems to run just fine from CD in the "try it" mode. When I choose to install it alongside Windows, it churns very briefly and then displays a few messages in white text on a black screen. The last of these messages is "Asking all remaining processes to terminate" followed by [OK] and then a little below that are the five dots alternating between white and orange and then below that a message to "Please remove installation media and close the tray (if any) then press ENTER." If I remove the CD and close the tray and press ENTER, the system reboots into Windows. If I leave the CD in and close the tray and press ENTER, the system reboots from the CD as though I was starting all over again. If I wait and do nothing, nothing happens, other than the alternating white and orange dots. I saw some other forum posts about pressing shift while rebooting, but that has no effect. What am I missing? Thanks.
Hey @tt9024 I am having this same exact problem. Have you figured out what may be wrong. I'm trying to ask around but I still can't figure it out. Thanks.

bibbledy
August 9th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Me three, on a different machine. I already spent the whole day fixing an unfinished install so I am afraid to do anything that might break this one.

oldfred
August 9th, 2012, 04:52 PM
@bibbledy
Please start your own thread. If installed run Bootinfo report from Boot-Repair.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

The older issues were probably Video and they needed to press any key as soon as CD started to boot, then f6 to add boot parameters.