PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] updating Amazon's video player

mulceber
May 26th, 2012, 06:42 PM
I've been watching a lot of tv shows through Amazon Prime lately (since Netflix doesn't support Linux, they're basically our only option). Today though, when I tried to use their web-player (on firefox), I got a message saying it needed to update. I waited for the download bar to fill, and when it finished, it gave the following error:

"An error occurred and your player could not be updated. This is likely because your Flash Player or Browser needs to be updated. This update is required to play back this video."

I figured this was because flash has stopped providing linux updates, so I tried to use Amazon's player on both Chromium and Chrome and I got the same result.

Does anyone know what I can do to get the necessary updates (or just bypass them and get the player to work anyway)?

ps. I realize in retrospect that this is probably the wrong forum for this thread. If anyone would care to move it, I'd be fine with that.

edit: figured it out. Feel free to delete this thread.

T_W
June 3rd, 2012, 04:08 AM
How did you resolve this?

mulceber
June 3rd, 2012, 06:15 AM
It's been a week or so since this happened, so my memory's a little foggy on where exactly I found the answer, but iirc, I used the terminal and input:

sudo apt-get install libhal1
sudo apt-get install hal

Then I restarted the browser. I'm not entirely sure if that's the one, but I think it is. Let me know. -M

c901906
June 21st, 2012, 02:58 AM
How did you resolve this?

For me, after

sudo apt-get install hal

I did this:

cd ~/.adobe/Flash_Player
rm -rf NativeCache AssetCache APSPrivateData2

Note: Please ignore OPs request to delete this thread.

iveand
August 1st, 2012, 08:55 PM
YES!! Thank you!! Above instructions (including clearing cache) work!!

JamesFlamingo
October 31st, 2012, 02:28 PM
Thanks you so much. I have been trying to get a descent streaming source for a week!:lolflag:

amosbadamos
November 24th, 2012, 05:58 PM
FWIW, I have been working through this issue as well. I had google Chrome (not Chromium) on one of my laptops running Ubuntu 12.04. When I upgraded to 12.10 the Amazon videos worked fine with Chrome. However, after the flash player required an upgrade the grandfathered Chrome browser would no longer update. I ended up needing to switch to Chromium to resolve the issue. BTW, I tried installing hal on the chrome as well.

wcroyal
January 3rd, 2013, 06:42 PM
YES!! Thank you!! Above instructions (including clearing cache) work!!

+1 on this solution. Simply installing hal for me did not work, but removing everything under ~/.adobe/Flash_Player did the trick. Thanks!

StretchNate
October 21st, 2013, 01:49 AM
sudo apt-get install hal

I did this:

cd ~/.adobe/Flash_Player
rm -rf NativeCache AssetCache APSPrivateData2

Worked great, thanks!