PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] HELP! Can't log in to desktop environment, reporting power management error

karlm
May 26th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Hi guys, please move this if it's in the wrong section...

I've had a Ubuntu install for about 2 or 3 years now which I duel boot with Windoze XP and never had any major issues.

Until last night.

Instead of the nice looking graphical front I'm left with a clunky looking front-end and although my password is not rejected, it logs in then straight back out again to the 'clunky' front end.

I'm not experienced enough to know or understand the command line area that is offered from the 'repair mode' when the machine is booting.

As soon it has booted to the front-screen (where it offers your account names and click accordingly then enter your account password) - an error pops up in the top right of the screen claiming that power management hasn't been installed.

My power supply is a bit dodgy (it flicks on & off, but is on enough to retain power in the battery) and the battery is also buggered (it claims to only have 35% all the time, which has slowly gone down from 50% about a year ago).

I do unfortunately need to get back in to my desktop though as all my kids pictures are there, my business emails are in there and - well - just about everything is there :(

Any help???