PDA

View Full Version : UK Linux-Friendly Broadband provider?

Castar
June 17th, 2006, 09:53 PM
Hi,

I will be moving to a new flat soon, and I was wondering which broadband service I should take. I need a wireless rooter to connect 3 laptops one of which running Kubuntu, the other two M$ Windows.

Any suggestions? Thanks :)

rado_london
June 17th, 2006, 09:58 PM
I use NTL Broadband with wireless router and I never had problems. dont officially support Linux but you will need Windows only to activate it. Then it is just DHCP net. Good luck

Castar
June 17th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Thanks Rado, but they also have to give you a phoneline, right? Also, can 3 laptops share the connection?

Kernel Sanders
June 17th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Thanks Rado, but they also have to give you a phoneline, right? Also, can 3 laptops share the connection?

Give UKOnline a call, their pretty good *thumbsup*

lapsey
June 17th, 2006, 11:25 PM
if you're a heavy user you can't do worse than eclipse

Kernel Sanders
June 17th, 2006, 11:49 PM

So they are definately one to avoid then?

Randomskk
June 17th, 2006, 11:50 PM
I couldn't agree more; eclipse absolutely ROCKS.
You get two static IPs for free, 8mbps internet, it's perfectly linux friendly, the tech support is good and they don't block any ports, so you can even host your own server or such!

Eclipse rock so much :D

edit: wait, looking that again do you mean eclipse are good or bad?

lapsey
June 17th, 2006, 11:58 PM
sorry i shouldn't post with the flu

Eclipse are *great* for heavy usage. Other ISPs that are known to be lax - Zen, Pipex - have recently started squeezing on certain types of traffic

Rhapsody
June 18th, 2006, 12:41 AM
Eclipse are *great* for heavy usage. Other ISPs that are known to be lax - Zen, Pipex - have recently started squeezing on certain types of traffic
Would that be stuff like BitTorrent traffic shaping? That really rubs me up the wrong way, because my only serious usage the speed the broadband gives is downloading torrents. But if my ISP is deliberately hobbling my connection to prevent my getting full speed on torrents, then what's the bloody point of broadband?

As for me, I'm using Wanadoo. They're not brilliant (they say they only support Windows, Mac support is 'coming soon', and they don't even mention Linux) but I managed to find firmware for my rather old router, and everything seems to be going well now.

DoctorMO
June 18th, 2006, 01:28 AM
The only broadband provider I know that doesn't support linux as in 'won't ever work' is AOL-UK, they have some software which needs to be running to connect.

I have NTL, never had any problems and you certainly DO NOT need a windows machine to activate it. dhcp will give you a 192 address, browse to any website and you get the ntl login page, put in your details and add your computer, reset the router/set top box and dhclient the port couldn't be simpler.

It doesn't even matter if it's going though a router because which ever machine you register from will register the MAC address of the router not the computers, as only one mac address can be asigned the ip address for the service at any one time. (thats what the router is for, sharing the connection)

Jose Catre-Vandis
June 18th, 2006, 02:18 AM
Zen, Zen, Zen, Zen, Zen, Zen, Zen, Zen, Zen,!

Unlimited usage, 10 IP addresses on one line, solid as a rock connection.

can be pricey, though if you are heavy user or sharing the cost its worth it.

G Morgan
June 18th, 2006, 02:22 AM
My ISP (Plusnet, I'm considering dumping these as soon as my contract is up, they change the rules every 3 minutes) doesn't require Windows. I have a wireless router/firewall/modem which deals with all my broadband needs. The fact that this works OS agnostically via a HTML interface I've had no problems in Linux. If you use an ethernet modem then you shouldn't have any problem irrespective. Avoid ISPs that don't do things properly and require software installs, also avoid USB modems like the plague, they can't be relied upon to stay operational and nearly always require software to run.

Randomskk
June 18th, 2006, 02:27 AM
Zen, Zen, Zen, Zen, Zen, Zen, Zen, Zen, Zen,!

Unlimited usage, 10 IP addresses on one line, solid as a rock connection.

can be pricey, though if you are heavy user or sharing the cost its worth it.
My friend uses Zen and says they are very good, albeit as you said somewhat pricey.

Depends how much cash you have I guess :P

rado_london
June 18th, 2006, 02:33 AM
The only broadband provider I know that doesn't support linux as in 'won't ever work' is AOL-UK, they have some software which needs to be running to connect.

I have NTL, never had any problems and you certainly DO NOT need a windows machine to activate it. dhcp will give you a 192 address, browse to any website and you get the ntl login page, put in your details and add your computer, reset the router/set top box and dhclient the port couldn't be simpler.

It doesn't even matter if it's going though a router because which ever machine you register from will register the MAC address of the router not the computers, as only one mac address can be asigned the ip address for the service at any one time. (thats what the router is for, sharing the connection)
Sorry about my mistake. I activated it with windows and at that time I thought it is the only way to do so. Thanks for sharing the method!

DoctorMO
June 18th, 2006, 02:43 AM
Maybe we could have an ubuntu ISP guide... or edit the one thats bound to already exist and add the ntl entry.

gumbald
June 18th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Just adding another vote to the Eclipse idea. We moved from Metronet on a shocking 2mb that we could only ever achieve 220kbps at inconsistent and strange times of the day. On the same line with Eclipse I downloaded FC5 DVD (to test speeds, not used it!) and averaged over 600kbps! Well happy. Very helpful customer service too.

nuvo
June 18th, 2006, 04:10 PM
I have BT Fusion and it works well with Linux.
I got the Fusion package because my mum wanted a new mobile and the RAZR V3 Fusion Edition charges you at cheaper, landline rates when used at home.
They sent me a wireless router \ modem that's now got 2 PC's, a PSP, a 360 and the phone (via bluetooth) connected to it wirelessly.
It's not as fast as other services at only 3Meg, but it works for me (I don't think many companies in the UK are as fast as UK Online).

Castar
June 20th, 2006, 10:36 AM
I had a look at Eclipse and it looks good. How about the fair usage policy, are they strict on this?

lapsey
June 20th, 2006, 11:36 AM
I'm glad to hear Zen aren't as strict as I was first told!

I had a look at Eclipse and it looks good. How about the fair usage policy, are they strict on this?

i have had a bunch of torrents spamming eclipse dsl (135 kB down 35 kB up - 30 quid per month) for weeks and i haven't heard a peep out of them.
Of course, putting the word around like this increases the chance of them actually getting strict but I'm daft like that.

ajifans
June 20th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Never had any major problems with Tiscali, worked with Mac, XP and various flavours of Linux.

Not sure about the USB modem they give you though, I use a wireless router, which was happy with multiple computers. Also you only get a dynamic IP address.

Had a warning about fair usage, but to be fair i was downloading a couple Gb a night during peak hours. No problems since.