PDA

View Full Version : Lubuntu v Xubuntu 12.04 edition

radnote
May 26th, 2012, 10:07 AM
What are the differences?

What are the pros/cons in terms of performance, usability, etc..

If you use it, why do you prefer it?

kc1di
May 26th, 2012, 10:41 AM
What are the differences?

What are the pros/cons in terms of performance, usability, etc..

If you use it, why do you prefer it?

I'm currently using xubuntu on one of my older machines. and I like it very much it gives me the performance I need to get the job done. I've used Lubuntu on a very similar machine and like it very much also. but pick xubuntu for this install because I'm just more familar with XFCE than LXDE.

And the fact that I need a weather app in the panel and XFCE has one and LXDE does not. Not very good reason I know but it works for me :)

They both are very good desktops.

sffvba[e0rt
May 26th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

Not a support question.

radnote
May 26th, 2012, 12:04 PM
@kc1di - Are you using 12.04? Also, what application launcher is Xubuntu using in the 12.04 screenshots i.e. the dock-thing?
What are your impressions in terms of usability and speed?

Thanks!

@not found -
OK.Thanks.

zombifier25
May 26th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Dunno exactly (I have only touched Xfce and LXDE very briefly), but the general comparison is Xubuntu is more beautiful, while Lubuntu is lighter.

Peripheral Visionary
May 26th, 2012, 12:31 PM
I have tried them both on my 8-year old hand-me-down Dell Dimension (Celeron processor, 512 RAM) and find no discernible difference in speed or performance. Xubu 12.04 is a 3-year LTS edition, Lubu is not. Xubu has the way cool panel with goodies like the weather applet, Lubu doesn't. I suppose it's more "lightweight" by some geeky measuring standard, but it is applications that consume resources more than the desktop environment.

Both distros have a nice choice of lightweight applications that offer a great balance between functionality and the miserly use of limited resources.

If Xubu ever outruns this old hardware, Lubu is where I'll look first for a replacement.

In short, both are awesome! But Xubu - for me at least - offers more functionality and configurability without any measurable difference in speed.

kc1di
May 26th, 2012, 07:24 PM
@kc1di - Are you using 12.04? Also, what application launcher is Xubuntu using in the 12.04 screenshots i.e. the dock-thing?
What are your impressions in terms of usability and speed?

Thanks!

@not found -
OK.Thanks.

yes I'm using 12.04 and it's working very well I do use the dock and the bottom of the screen but you can also use the menu.
My impressions are very favorable. no problems yet. and it works reasonably well on the box I have in on. it's an old dell dimensions 3000.;)

Open Source Noob
May 26th, 2012, 09:12 PM
I've tried both Lubuntu and Xubuntu on my Samsung netbook, and I have to say I much prefer Xubuntu. It's easier to customise and I haven't noticed any difference in performance

egeezer
May 26th, 2012, 10:20 PM
I have Xubuntu 12.04 64-bit and Lubuntu 12.04 32-bit on different desktop computers. Xubu was easier to set up and seems to be more stable, Lubu is a bit dicey and seems less "finished" than Xubu. I run Compiz on both of them, which means I'm pushing Lubu a bit harder.

I used to run Lubu more from the time of its introduction through 11.04, but I've been happier with Xubu on 11.10 and 12.04. YMMV.