PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Xubuntu volume indicator missing.

crosstalk
May 26th, 2012, 07:57 AM
I recently installed Xubuntu 12.04 on my laptop, then began tweaking it. I tried removing Pulseaudio (I don't need it), but found that my volume control keys no longer worked (which is neither a surprise nor a major concern to me).

However, after I re-installed the "pulseaudio" and "pavucontrol" packages, I did not get back the indicator applet which shows my volume. I also installed the "indicator-sound" package.

How can I restore that indicator? Did I grab the right package?

Thank you for your help.

bug67
May 26th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Maybe try right clicking on the panel then selecting panel, "Add new items." Then you can scroll through a list of things you can add to the panel. One of which is the "Indicator Plugin." That's the one you want.

brainwash
May 26th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Re-install the package indicator-sound-gtk2 to restore the volume indicator.

On a side note, you can create custom keyboard shortcuts to adjust the volume in case you really want to get rid of Pulseaudio.

crosstalk
May 26th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Re-install the package indicator-sound-gtk2 to restore the volume indicator.
Thank you, this (and a reboot) did it.

On a side note, you can create custom keyboard shortcuts to adjust the volume in case you really want to get rid of Pulseaudio.I am aware of this, having done it in the past; but since I am only trying to remove it to get a more lightweight system, I don't consider the hassle (with another OS (forgot which), it broke the volume indicator) to be worth the effort.

sampayu
July 26th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Well, this is a new reply to an old topic, anyway I decided to reply 'coz I believe that it might still be of some help to the readers.

I'm on XUbuntu 12.04 and I accidentaly (euphemism for "stupidly") removed the sound control from the panel. After some *hours* trying to figure what the heck I had done, I realized that it's not necessary to install anything (quite obvious since nothing was uninstalled): you just have to right-click the panel, go to the Panel Preferences and add this item: Indicator Plugin.

After you do this, the volume daemon (xfce4-volumed) will place the sound control back on the panel and thus you'll be able to use the sliding volume control again.

guillermo_lopez
December 4th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Maybe try right clicking on the panel then selecting panel, "Add new items." Then you can scroll through a list of things you can add to the panel. One of which is the "Indicator Plugin." That's the one you want.

:guitar:
Thank you Bug 67. It works for me!!!
You rock

andreic74
December 27th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Thank you. It works!

Buntu Bunny
December 27th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Ditto for me! Thanks all.

kevin34ct
June 6th, 2013, 09:44 PM
LOL, worked for me too. It's called Indicator Plugins though. I removed the Weather applet and my sound and messenger got removed at the same time. Not sure why that happened, but this was a great help.

mai.joshua.2012
December 28th, 2013, 01:19 PM
thanx

wildmanne39
December 30th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Thread closed. Please do not post in old threads.