PDA

View Full Version : Spending money on coffee shops..

kdane4
May 26th, 2012, 05:23 AM
I'm just curious,

who here spends a lot of time on coffee-shops like Starbucks just to drink their favorite lattes, coffee, etc.. It can really burn a hole on your pocket really fast... :|

papibe
May 26th, 2012, 05:32 AM
Hi kdane4.

Not really.

I did the 'math' long time ago, and bought myself a coffee grinder, a french press, and a Bialetti Brikka: delicious coffee any time! :)

Kind Regards.

MisterGaribaldi
May 26th, 2012, 05:35 AM
I used to when times were good, but times haven't been good in a long time.

I'd second what papibe said: good coffee, good coffee maker, and I'm all set.

JDShu
May 26th, 2012, 06:00 AM
I am personally very productive when I sit in coffee shops to work, so the cost of the coffee and food is often worth it.

KiwiNZ
May 26th, 2012, 06:06 AM
I only have one or two cups of coffee a day at. Home, if I go to a Cafe to eat I have water.

limitlessonline7
May 26th, 2012, 06:08 AM
I'm not typically a coffee lover but I go to coffee shops sometimes just to meet up with friends. :)

Love cappuccino.

Mikeb85
May 26th, 2012, 06:12 AM
I do sometimes, not every day though. I'm more of a tea person, and most cafés are lacking there. But I buy expensive teas, and pay for premium coffee, cost doesn't matter for stuff I enjoy.

viperdvman
May 26th, 2012, 06:15 AM
I go to coffee shops now and then. Although I'm more of a tea person, they are good places to meet people. Plus, it's good to get out of the house once in a while :D

malspa
May 26th, 2012, 06:44 AM
Not a dime of mine has gone to any coffee shop in a long time. I quit drinking anything with caffeine a few years back, except for a couple of times when I was tired and had a long drive ahead of me.

lisati
May 26th, 2012, 06:52 AM
Not counting a couple of visits to our local McCafe, Mrs Lisati and I have only been to a coffee shop together once in our 20 years together. At the time I was more interested in giving Mrs Lisati a treat and spending quality time together than checking out the coffee shop's WiFi. On the rare occasions that we go out for a date these days (Mrs Lisati had a spell of ill health last year which affected her mobility, she's recovering well), we usually go somewhere "healthy" (ha ha) like KFC.

wilee-nilee
May 26th, 2012, 07:12 AM
Hi kdane4.

Not really.

I did the 'math' long time ago, and bought myself a coffee grinder, a french press, and a Bialetti Brikka: delicious coffee any time! :)

Kind Regards.

Same basic kit here, I still go to the coffee shop, I know the people who work there, it's a pleasant atmosphere.

I go to get away from the computer many times.

MG&TL
May 26th, 2012, 07:40 AM
I go to get away from the computer many times.

:lolflag: me too.

I usuallly just go to meet up with friends. There's one I really like, serves scones that are about twice as big in all dimensions as normal ones.

hansdown
May 26th, 2012, 08:00 AM
I go to a nearby cafe to test wifi on test rigs.

They don't force me to call a medium cup of coffee by a strange name.

The lineups are also shorter, (nonexistant).

I didn't vote, 'cause a choice wasn't obvious.

Face-Ache
May 26th, 2012, 08:22 AM
I grab a coffee at a coffee shop a couple of times a week. It's never to test their wifi though, and often it's just a grab-'n-run kinda deal. Where i am, in Hamilton, New Zealand, the local council has free wifi all over the CBD, called 'Hamiltonline' - i use that from my phone on occasion.

My closest coffee shop is Starbucks, but i've never set foot in the place. I prefer the more boutique shops, the ones that roast their own beans. We've a lot of great coffee shops in NZ.

Someone once said to me, after a lengthy stay in the USA, that there is no good coffee in America, that Americans think good coffee is what you get at Starbucks. I don't know whether that's true, but i find it a bit hard to believe.

Is that true? I know there are plenty of Americans on these forums who will be able to set me straight! :D (No flaming required, i'm literally just asking if it's the case or not).

Rodney9
May 26th, 2012, 09:24 AM
I try to go to my favourite coffee shop, not Starbucks, once a week.

Rodney

Lucradia
May 26th, 2012, 10:03 AM
None of those options. I only went to coffee shops when I was a bit younger, with my parents. I bought (OR they bought) me cupcakes or juice there (or sandwich if it was one of those coffee / cafe combo things.) Couple years ago while searching for jobs, I met with my job coachers at cafes / tiny restaurants that were more or less coffee shops that sold sandwiches too. Only bought a few things in my entire life, and it wasn't due to friends.

I'd prefer not to buy from them. But if it's all you got =/

Bachstelze
May 26th, 2012, 11:00 AM
No cause I don't have friends and I'm not a coffee person. And wifi at home is fast enough. :D

Megaptera
May 26th, 2012, 11:24 AM
I find coffee shops such as Starbucks/Costa to be too expensive. That and the fact that the kids working there aren't that good at making coffee anyway!

I used to prefer coffee in old style (UK) 'greasy spoon' cafes but since the ban on smoking indoors they too have lost their appeal (same with pubs) - but that's straying off-topic.

Guitar John
May 26th, 2012, 11:54 AM
.... It can really burn a hole on your pocket really fast.
That's because the coffee has real gold in it.:-\"

Never heard of the Bialetti Brikka, but it looks like I know what to ask my wife to get me for our anniversary.

TheFu
May 26th, 2012, 12:14 PM
I usually drink tea.
Kicked a heavy caffeine addiction about 10 yrs ago. It wasn't easy. I spent more than $1 on coffee about 4 times a year ... only when a friend/boss would suggest a meeting at a coffee shop. Not really my scene.

Linuxratty
May 26th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Nope..Absurdly overpriced and over hyped.
I do my own at home.

mips
May 26th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Don't really drink coffee, if I drink 20 cups a year it's a lot and limited to espresso or plain black coffee without milk.

That said I had my first 6 cups of coffee this year in this month of May :shock:

Each cup so far cost me $1.40 or €1.10 or £0.90 which is about 2/3 the price of a beer which I prefer (when spending money) but you can obviously not drink that like coffee.

Edit:
Quick question, when people from the US say cream (when ordering coffee) is it actually real cream or just milk?

thatguruguy
May 26th, 2012, 04:36 PM
I usually drink my coffee at home (I also use a French press; it's the best way to make coffee. When I go to coffee shops, it's to meet with clients. The Starbucks I prefer has conference rooms which can be rented for $50 for 2 hours, and they give back a $20 gift card (so it's really only $15/hour).

Quick question, when people from the US say cream (when ordering coffee) is it actually real cream or just milk?

I don't say either one. I use evaporated milk at home. At coffee shops, I usually get lattes, which have steamed milk. Most coffee shops I go to allow you to add your own cream, milk, or half and half, so you never really order coffee with cream in it.

bruno9779
May 26th, 2012, 04:56 PM
I haven't had a coffee in years.
Coffee is only palatable in Italy and Portugal IMHO.

My stimulant of choice is mate-tea nowadays (google Ilex Paraguensis if you are curious).

PS: In my home country (Italy) what US people call latte is caffélatte and it is the typical grandma's breakfast.

SeVeNeLeVeN
May 26th, 2012, 05:00 PM
If I don't savor the flavor of that dark Kona Blend at home, I go to the smokeshop drive-thru and order a $2 coffee. Infinately better than Starschmuck watered down schwill.
But, if I got the dough I go to Bigfoot Java and buy a 44oz Mega Foot Blended Vanilla Carmel Latte for about $10 (including tip).
Being addicted to caffeine as I am, and being a father of a 4yr. old, I would always rather save the cash, brew at home & spend the $$ on our future Developer.

wilee-nilee
May 26th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Poor Starbucks is getting the fanboi like treatment that company from redmond usually get, what’s up with that. ;)

Actually a company although gigantic actually has a pretty good set up comparatively for employees, medical plans, and other benefits.

Never worked there but if I needed a job would not hesitate in doing so.

mips
May 26th, 2012, 06:05 PM
The Starbucks I prefer has conference rooms which can be rented for $50 for 2 hours, and they give back a $20 gift card (so it's really only $15/hour).

That's sounds like a pretty good deal.

cortman
May 26th, 2012, 08:45 PM
serves scones

SCONES!!!!

*cortman loves scones.

Normally, I'm never in a coffeeshop or even a McCafe. There is unlimited free coffee at the steelworking shop that I work at; strong, vile, and black. After a cup of that every day for six years your system can handle pretty much anything.

CharlesA
May 26th, 2012, 08:59 PM
I only have one or two cups of coffee a day at. Home, if I go to a Cafe to eat I have water.
Same, except replace "coffee" with "tea"

terrykiwi83
May 26th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Am a coffee addict at University, cost's me a small fortune. Usually around $6.20 per coffee, of which I usually drink 2 or 3 per day over a 5 day week :(

BeRoot ReBoot
May 26th, 2012, 09:08 PM
No, my religious beliefs forbid supporting businesses populated primarily by Apple users.

HalfNote5
May 26th, 2012, 09:49 PM
I only go to coffee shops when I'm out of town and need wifi, or when I'm already in the bookstore and need to get a little work done.

I'll see people sitting around (usually with an Apple) at a coffee shop trying to make playing "Robot Unicorn Attack" look like an exercise in deep thought.

No offense (to the Apple Community, OR to people like my spouse, who enjoys the change of scenery to take the tedium out of work) but it strikes me that most people at Starbucks with a computer simply want to be seen at Starbucks with a computer.

HalfNote5
May 26th, 2012, 09:55 PM
No, my religious beliefs forbid supporting businesses populated primarily by Apple users.

Heheh! I saw this after I'd mentioned that there seemed to be a disproportionately high number of them in my post a moment ago. I wonder if it's part of that whole coffee-house/Apple-user/hipster kind of deal where it's more about the look than anything else.

As an aside, If I AM going to waste money and buy coffee instead of make it myself, I want a REAL Mocha; and I want it with 2 extra espresso shots, and dangit, I want HEAVY CREAM, not skim milk. And don't look at me like I've asked you for your first-born. For $4.00 a cup, you can afford to use the good stuff, there Sparky. ; )

Oh! And whipped cream. As long as we're having a coronary AND a sugar/caffeine-induced aneurysm, it may as well be as delicious as possible.

KiwiNZ
May 26th, 2012, 10:51 PM
Gee 4 pages before the Apple and Apple user bashing started, another two pages and Unity bashing will start. It will probably close before then though

Guitar John
May 27th, 2012, 12:43 AM
... For $4.00 a cup, you can afford to use the good stuff, there Sparky.

Oh! And whipped cream. As long as we're having a coronary AND a sugar/caffeine-induced aneurysm, it may as well be as delicious as possible.

THAT was a good post.
=D> Bravo!!

BeRoot ReBoot
May 27th, 2012, 12:59 AM
On a more topical note, I'm absolutely disgusted by what they're trying to sell as "coffee" in these shops. Myself, I just take a .5l cup of boiled water with a tablespoon of finely ground beans.

KiwiNZ
May 27th, 2012, 01:03 AM
I don't know what you get where ever, my Son is a trained Barista and does this part-time to help with Uni costs. He makes awesome coffee better than I can achieve.

HalfNote5
May 27th, 2012, 01:33 AM
THAT was a good post.
=D> Bravo!!

Awww, thanks! ;)
Glad to entertain.

MisterGaribaldi
May 27th, 2012, 01:47 AM
Y'know, KiwiNZ and others, this has become an altogether more interesting thread of late.

With the exception of Kopi Luwak, I've probably had at one time or another at minimum one or two cups of just about every grade and level of coffee, and I've had coffee from every coffee-growing region on the planet. Now, this doesn't make me an expert or master as I've never actually worked professionally in the coffee-growing, coffee blending, nor coffee roasting businesses, but it does make me at least an interested party here, and here's what I'd like to add to the discussion.

When people talk about this whole "yuppy" coffee shop thing, what they're really trying to say is "Starbucks", so let's just be honest here. And Starbucks, at the point of contact with the public, is no different than any other seller of coffee products. They do just as good, or just as bad, a job of brewing, serving, keeping stock fresh, keeping machines clean, etc. All of these factors -- all of them -- contribute to caliber of coffee served to the customer, which is why any coffee shop worth a hoot has some pretty specific standards and policies to follow.

Not everybody likes every type of coffee out there, and frankly not every farm's coffee tastes like every other farm's coffee. That is, let's assume we're talking Guatemalan Antigua. There are at least 29 different farms which contribute to this crop. Here's a list. (http://coffee.antiguacoffee.org/portal/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=112&Itemid=145&lang=en) And just because you like Farmer Jones' Antigua doesn't mean you'll care for Farmer Smith's.

By and large, Starbucks promotes something called Pike Place, which is almost certainly a blend of two or more different single-origin beans. There has been an ongoing debate since it was introduced several years ago about how good it actually is, whether it should be the only specially-produced coffee, etc. One can make of that what one will, and personally I'm rather inclined to agree Starbucks really should be putting out more specialty coffees and not concentrating so much on just that one. But, nevertheless, it must be working out really well for them.

Right now I'm in no position to afford top-end gourmet coffee, and so I content myself with what is clearly less than that. But, just like operating systems, wine, and a lot of things, you pick what works for you, and that's why there's ultimately a variety.

Kiwi, I have no doubt your son makes an excellent cup of coffee. There are a lot of good beans to pick from, and with time, training, and good equipment, this is to be expected.

wilee-nilee
May 27th, 2012, 02:46 AM
Y'know, KiwiNZ and others, this has become an altogether more interesting thread of late.

With the exception of Kopi Luwak, I've probably had at one time or another at minimum one or two cups of just about every grade and level of coffee, and I've had coffee from every coffee-growing region on the planet. Now, this doesn't make me an expert or master as I've never actually worked professionally in the coffee-growing, coffee blending, nor coffee roasting businesses, but it does make me at least an interested party here, and here's what I'd like to add to the discussion.

When people talk about this whole "yuppy" coffee shop thing, what they're really trying to say is "Starbucks", so let's just be honest here. And Starbucks, at the point of contact with the public, is no different than any other seller of coffee products. They do just as good, or just as bad, a job of brewing, serving, keeping stock fresh, keeping machines clean, etc. All of these factors -- all of them -- contribute to caliber of coffee served to the customer, which is why any coffee shop worth a hoot has some pretty specific standards and policies to follow.

Not everybody likes every type of coffee out there, and frankly not every farm's coffee tastes like every other farm's coffee. That is, let's assume we're talking Guatemalan Antigua. There are at least 29 different farms which contribute to this crop. Here's a list. (http://coffee.antiguacoffee.org/portal/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=112&Itemid=145&lang=en) And just because you like Farmer Jones' Antigua doesn't mean you'll care for Farmer Smith's.

By and large, Starbucks promotes something called Pike Place, which is almost certainly a blend of two or more different single-origin beans. There has been an ongoing debate since it was introduced several years ago about how good it actually is, whether it should be the only specially-produced coffee, etc. One can make of that what one will, and personally I'm rather inclined to agree Starbucks really should be putting out more specialty coffees and not concentrating so much on just that one. But, nevertheless, it must be working out really well for them.

Right now I'm in no position to afford top-end gourmet coffee, and so I content myself with what is clearly less than that. But, just like operating systems, wine, and a lot of things, you pick what works for you, and that's why there's ultimately a variety.

Kiwi, I have no doubt your son makes an excellent cup of coffee. There are a lot of good beans to pick from, and with time, training, and good equipment, this is to be expected.

You must be a closet cupper, I wondered what you were hiding. :)

thought a link to what cupping is might be nice.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_cupping

wojox
May 27th, 2012, 02:49 AM
Y'know, KiwiNZ and others, this has become an altogether more interesting thread of latte. Fixed it. :p

cortman
May 27th, 2012, 04:34 AM

^^ very interesting. Thanks for that.
I've been to Guatemala and had native coffee- it was unbelievably good.

MisterGaribaldi
May 27th, 2012, 04:41 AM
Fixed it. :p

Cool user name, and smooth move there, dude! :lolflag:

Face-Ache
May 27th, 2012, 04:58 AM
I do make my own coffee at home as well as go to coffee shops. I don't roast my own beans, but i do grind them as required. Makes the process more drawn out, but i find it to be quite a relaxing ritual.

A few of my friends have started buying green beans, and 'roasting' them in those popcorn makers that you can buy. Apparently there's a fine line between 'just right' and 'burnt', so it's probably not something i have the patience to try (nor a palate refined enough to really notice the difference).

Great idea though.

Has anyone tried that Civet coffee? (Maybe that should say "Has anyone had the courage to try ...). Just Googled for a link, and found that it's the same thing as the Kopi Luwak that Mr Garibaldi mentioned;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

I understand it's ridiculously expensive, and i'm not sure i'd have the stomach to try it, knowing what it's production process actually consists of :D

bruno9779
May 27th, 2012, 05:23 AM
I do make my own coffee at home as well as go to coffee shops. I don't roast my own beans, but i do grind them as required. Makes the process more drawn out, but i find it to be quite a relaxing ritual.

A few of my friends have started buying green beans, and 'roasting' them in those popcorn makers that you can buy. Apparently there's a fine line between 'just right' and 'burnt', so it's probably not something i have the patience to try (nor a palate refined enough to really notice the difference).

Great idea though.

Has anyone tried that Civet coffee? (Maybe that should say "Has anyone had the courage to try ...). Just Googled for a link, and found that it's the same thing as the Kopi Luwak that Mr Garibaldi mentioned;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

I understand it's ridiculously expensive, and i'm not sure i'd have the stomach to try it, knowing what it's production process actually consists of :D

There is much more than heating involved in roasting.

The italian method "torrefazione" has 2 peculiarities;
-roasting in a rotating cylinder inclined at 20-30 degrees over the heat source to achieve uniform roasting.
-alittle bit of sugar added to the last roasting, to give that shiny golden look to the beans and to maximize foam when an expresso is made.

Do that with pure arabica (low caffeine high flavor) coffee beans, very finely ground and shots of less of 10 cl each.

Face-Ache
May 27th, 2012, 05:27 AM
Oh that's very interesting, thanks.

Yeah, i think i'll leave the roasting to the professionals. Grinding my own beans is serious enough, for me anyway.

kdane4
May 27th, 2012, 06:26 AM
i just checked the civet coffee mentioned above and it costs almost $50/cup.. I wonder if its really that good..

Face-Ache
May 27th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Yeah, i wonder that too. I guess i also take issue with paying that much for something that comes out of an animals butt! :D

What's the difference between me, and yoghurt? Yoghurt has culture!

wojox
May 27th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Cool user name, and smooth move there, dude! :lolflag:

Glad someone got that. :biggrin:

kdane4
May 27th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Glad someone got that. :biggrin:

Its better latte than never! :p

wojox
May 27th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Its better latte than never! :p

:lolflag:

mips
May 27th, 2012, 05:11 PM
If you coffee affectionados ever wanna get some good coffee try the stuff from Ethiopia!

MisterGaribaldi
May 27th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Ethiopian Yirgacheffe is actually a personal favorite of mine, as is Brazil Santos, Mexican High-Grown, and Costa Rica Tarrazú.

For what it's worth, I prefer Brazilian and Ethiopian coffees to Jamaican varieties. I mean, Blue Mountain and High-Grown Blue Mountain are good, don't get me wrong, but my tastes just don't run in that direction (money no object).

Guitar John
May 27th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Never heard of the Bialetti Brikka, but it looks like I know what to ask my wife to get me for our anniversary.

UPDATE: My wife didn't wait for our anniversary. She came home today with a Bialetti Moka Express (http://www.bialetti.com/coffee/moka/). The 6 cup one.

So thanks to my wonderful wife, and thank you papibe for the heads up.

MisterGaribaldi
May 27th, 2012, 10:21 PM
UPDATE: My wife didn't wait for our anniversary. She came home today with a Bialetti Moka Express (http://www.bialetti.com/coffee/moka/). The 6 cup one.

It's made from aluminum? Is it anodized aluminum? I've always been wary of using any kind of aluminum cook- or serving-ware on the basis that it can leach or dissolve in food.

wilee-nilee
May 27th, 2012, 11:24 PM
It's made from aluminum? Is it anodized aluminum? I've always been wary of using any kind of aluminum cook- or serving-ware on the basis that it can leach or dissolve in food.

Exactly, mine is in retirement, viva the french press, glass and stainless steel.

KiwiNZ
May 28th, 2012, 12:12 AM
This is what we have at home

Frogs Hair
May 28th, 2012, 01:04 AM
The fad seems to be fading because many shops have closed.The shops that were well established at the beginning of the craze are still open. The beverage of choice is certainly not coffee in my state.

Guitar John
May 28th, 2012, 06:01 AM

They have a stainless steel (http://www.bialetti.com/coffee/stainless/) model.

MisterGaribaldi
May 28th, 2012, 07:08 AM
Here's the one I've got:

http://www.oncoffeemakers.com/images/delonghi-espresso-machine-parts-is-but-a-phone-call-away-21390435.jpg

wilee-nilee
May 28th, 2012, 07:13 AM
They have a stainless steel (http://www.bialetti.com/coffee/stainless/) model.

Thanks for the info, I didn't know there were stainless steel models, I retired mine awhile back, and just use a french press now.

I like the 10 cup model, gonna get one when I have the money. ;)

Face-Ache
May 28th, 2012, 07:55 AM
For the life of me i just can't get a decent brew out of those stove-top ones; it always tastes burnt to my palate, and i always keep a close eye on it, and take it off the heat as soon as the extraction has finished - not sure what i'm doing wrong, TBH!

Anyway, i'm using one of these at the moment, a Breville BES820;

papibe
May 28th, 2012, 08:35 AM

):P Hey!

I found that having more ways to brew your coffee it's always more fun!

Best Regards.

BrokenKingpin
May 28th, 2012, 08:17 PM
I did a bit a few years back, but I don't anymore.

scouser73
May 28th, 2012, 09:46 PM
I chose Sometimes but not to meet with friends, just because I wanted a cup of Tea (no I'm serious about that, hate Coffee).