PDA

View Full Version : Older *Buntu users out there?

CWM84
May 26th, 2012, 04:06 AM
I am just wondering... Anyone using any of the older *buntu's out there?

10.04 and earlier...

I just dont like how they force you to upgrade... If I liked 8.04 I dont know why they cant just keep supporting 8.04 with patches for security and let us be :(

I got away from windows for a reason tired of the YOU NEED TO UPGRADE TO THE LATEST AND GREATEST OS!!!!

i dont know why ubuntu makes me feel that way :(

So any old users out there?

-- Christopher

hansdown
May 26th, 2012, 04:19 AM
Hi CWM84.

I thought 8.04 was the very best for ubuntu.

It really was superb; after some awsomely performed bug fixes.

It really did rock.

I started with 6.06 release.

lisati
May 26th, 2012, 04:20 AM
I have a cli installation 6.06 on an older machine which is seldom used these days. I originally set it up that way as an emergency backup for my server and used 6.06 because it was the first *buntu I managed to get to work on it. I'm too lazy to update it with something newer that will work on its 64Mb ram or look for suitable parts to upgrade it. That's right, 64 megabytes or RAM!

zombifier25
May 26th, 2012, 04:53 AM
I got away from windows for a reason tired of the YOU NEED TO UPGRADE TO THE LATEST AND GREATEST OS!!!!

Actually, that's a reason NOT to switch from Windows. XP has support extended for like over 10 years, compared to its original, short lifespan.

viperdvman
May 26th, 2012, 05:07 AM
Yeah, one of my friends who's getting into Linux seems to be a bit put off by Ubuntu's 18-month support and new one comes out every 6 months. Kinda makes the older ones completely obsolete after those 18 months. They run fine, but no more security and bug fixes.

Then, I pointed her to the fact that you can upgrade pretty easily within Ubuntu, unlike Windows. I also pointed her out to the LTS versions (10.04, 12.04, etc.). So yeah... unless she wants to run Debian, directly Debian-based, or one of the other distros that have long release and support cycles... it's best to deal with the rapid releases, upgrade often, or go with an LTS.

Back to the subject... I would loved to have played with the older releases of Ubuntu... if I can find 8.04 desktop version, or one of the in-betweeners (Intrepid, Jaunty, Karmic). I've seen the older Ubuntu versions out there... I've known about Ubuntu for years. But I finally came onto the Ubuntu scene right before 11.04 came out. So yeah, only Lucid, Maverick, and Natty were available... and Karmic was already a dying release.

davetv
May 26th, 2012, 05:19 AM
Still using Kubuntu 8.04 here. I have updated a lot of packages and libs etc manually over time.

mbarland
May 26th, 2012, 07:07 AM
I have a laptop that runs 9.04 beautifully, but anything newer chokes it. I toyed with switching it to 8.04 for the longer support, but by the time 9.04 support was running out, the desktop 8.04 wsn't far behind in losing its support. So it is happy running 9.04. Someday the bug will bite me to figure out why it isn't working on newer versions.

wilee-nilee
May 26th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Some people want to sit in the lodge and drink hot chocolate, some want to hit the toughest run, the others are in between.

At least now the long term releases are five years now, so for those nester’s there is a OS.

Hylas de Niall
May 26th, 2012, 08:30 AM
I would loved to have played with the older releases of Ubuntu... if I can find 8.04 desktop version, or one of the in-betweeners (Intrepid, Jaunty, Karmic).

http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/

HTH :)

Still running 10.04 on my desktop as none of the recent linux distros that i've tried will run on it without repeated freezes.
(i think i may heve pinned the fault down to Acer WMI issues though)

hansdown
May 26th, 2012, 09:16 AM
I have a cli installation 6.06 on an older machine which is seldom used these days. I originally set it up that way as an emergency backup for my server and used 6.06 because it was the first *buntu I managed to get to work on it. I'm too lazy to update it with something newer that will work on its 64Mb ram or look for suitable parts to upgrade it. That's right, 64 megabytes or RAM!

AntiX may be a good bet for that hardware.

http://antix.mepis.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

kurt18947
May 26th, 2012, 10:31 AM
I have an old notebook - 2002 vintage - that for whatever reason would not load the latest Ubuntu/Mint release. It may have to do with an oddball video system. I was able to install PCLinuxOS LXDE and it and run well on 512 MB. RAM and aforementioned oddball video system. PCLinuxOS runs KDE, Xfce or LXDE desktops. No Unity or Gnome 3. PCLinuxOS seems pretty simple to use and does not have fixed new release dates, more like a rolling distro. I think Ubuntu or Mint are a little more polished but PCLinuxOS seems fairly light and quite usable, a viable alternative.

3rdalbum
May 26th, 2012, 10:41 AM

10.04 and earlier...

I just dont like how they force you to upgrade... If I liked 8.04 I dont know why they cant just keep supporting 8.04 with patches for security and let us be :(

Ubuntu is advertised as a fast-release-cycle distro. If this isn't what you want, then Ubuntu's regular releases are not what you want.

Ubuntu 12.04 is supported for five years - so this is a concession to the people who want to use Ubuntu but don't like regular upgrades.

Ubuntu only wants to push you onto a newer version of itself because things move rapidly in the Linux world, and it gets very difficult to support a distro after the 2-year mark. There's no monetary cost to the user for upgrading, so I don't really see why you'd object to it.

If five years of support is still too short for you, then Linux is not the operating system for you, period.

chili555
May 26th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Older? You mean grandpas and such?? Oh, sorry. Yes, I have a print server running 10.04 for three reasons. First, I can ssh into it and see what is installed by default when I answer questions about 10.04 elsewhere on the forum. Second, it runs well on the older, less robust hardware and finally, it just runs perfectly well!

Otherwise, on my laptops, I am an upgrade freak. I like having the latest and love seeing what's new. I usually upgrade while the newest release is in beta 2 before the official release date.

If I remember correctly, my first install was 5.10.

CWM84
May 26th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Still using Kubuntu 8.04 here. I have updated a lot of packages and libs etc manually over time.

WHOA still using 8 holy cow..!!!

HalfNote5
May 26th, 2012, 09:32 PM

10.04 and earlier...

i dont know why ubuntu makes me feel that way :(

So any old users out there?

-- Christopher

Certainly! I'm using Feisty Fawn (alternate) on my SSH server. All it does is serve up SSH and maybe some non-standard SAMBA ports, and burn the occasional Lightscribe disc, so I've seen no reason to upgrade it. It's on an ooooold blue and white (remember those?) Acer with a Pentium 2, and it's still clicking away like a champ. That said, I was running Hardy on my lappy 'til it crashed, and now I think I have Mint Isadora, which is the same as, oh, I dunno, 10.04 Lucid.

Bottom line - if you don't feel it's necessary to upgrade, then don't. My attitude has always been that if it's working for you, there's no reason to change it. I have clients all the time upgrading software packages for tens of thousands of dollars because "the newest one is out." Now, of course, it's a different story if the software company will no longer SUPPORT the old version, and it's getting older than dirt, and won't run on any new machines. But that's neither here nor there. ; )

HalfNote5
May 26th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Actually, that's a reason NOT to switch from Windows. XP has support extended for like over 10 years, compared to its original, short lifespan.

Seconded; Microsoft has their flaws, but they do occasionally get something very, very right. Extending support of XP (and some of their more obscure stuff, Like Visual FoxPro) was a good move. That, and they have people PAID to test all the hardware and drivers, so it's a little smoother sailing. That said, Linux has REALLY come up to speed the past several years, and Ubuntu-based OSes in particular are easy, and a joy to use.

Primefalcon
May 26th, 2012, 09:49 PM
still using 10.04 on the netbook

Duncan J Murray
May 26th, 2012, 10:09 PM
10.04 is my main OS. I have added stable repos for Libreoffice, rhythmbox, firefox, chrome.

It does everything I need it to, and it's nice and fast. No reason to upgrade yet. Also, as much as I like 12.04, I don't think unity or gnome-shell or cinnamon is as good a fit for me as gnome2 is. I've yet to find one with sensible workspace behaviour...

D

PS my machine is also 8 years old.

lisati
May 26th, 2012, 10:13 PM
AntiX may be a good bet for that hardware.

http://antix.mepis.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

Thanks for the suggestion.

Lucradia
May 27th, 2012, 01:17 AM
I started ubuntu at 7.04 or so. I don't like the direction it took starting with 10.04 =/

rokytnji
May 27th, 2012, 02:07 AM
I use Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on a Desktop Computer. I probably will either go for a minimal 12.04 cd install later when 12.04 gets stabler later. I will also probably just install basic stuff I use. I am proficient at running Icewm, Fluxbox, E17, LXDE window managers and also run Mate Desktop and Trinity Desktop on some of my AntiX boxes.

On my Laptops/netbooks/older desktop I run AntiX since it is a rolling release style of distro with no need for reinstall if one does not wish to.

I've been running AntiX core iso for some time now on a old Amrel RT 786 EX where I installed LXDE desktop and have it configured just like I like it. All apps are current with Debian Testing.

http://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31202

I like the rolling concept of running Debian testing. Would be nice if Debian testing repos and Ubuntu would be a match. But. You get what you want via preferences so I might even just ditch Ubuntu one day to just go with Debian instead. Haven't really made up my mind yet. Got a year to decide. A year is eternity in linux development.

Nice thing is. I have enough hardware to play with any Linux version I wish to test and see.

Posting this from a old IBM A22M Laptop

~$ inxi -z -F
System: Host: Biker Kernel: 3.3.5-antix.1-486-smp i686 (32 bit)
Desktop: IceWM 1.3.7 Distro: antiX-M11-686 Jayaben Desai 01 May 2011
Machine: Mobo: IBM model: 2628TWU Bios: IBM version: KXET33WW (1.06 ) date: 09/05/2001
CPU: Single core Pentium III (Coppermine) (-UP-) cache: 256 KB flags: (sse) clocked at 1000.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: ATI Rage Mobility P/M AGP 2x
X.Org: 1.11.3.901 drivers: ati,mach64 (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x768@87.0hz
GLX Renderer: Rasterizer GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 7.11.2
Audio: Card: Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24/30 [CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] driver: snd_cs46xx
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: 1.0.24
Network: Card-1: 3Com 3c556B CardBus [Tornado] driver: 3c59x
IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Card-2: Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI driver: rt61pci
IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 20.0GB (23.1% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: IC25N020ATCS04 size: 20.0GB
Partition: ID: / size: 6.4G used: 3.6G (59%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 12G used: 4.3G (40%) fs: ext4
ID: swap-1 size: 0.76GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 52.0C mobo: 42.0C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 0
Info: Processes: 98 Uptime: 1:03 Memory: 246.9/501.6MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4

wilee-nilee
May 27th, 2012, 02:12 AM
I use Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on a Desktop Computer. I probably will either go for a minimal 12.04 cd install later when 12.04 gets stabler later. I will also probably just install basic stuff I use. I am proficient at running Icewm, Fluxbox, E17, LXDE window managers and also run Mate Desktop and Trinity Desktop on some of my AntiX boxes.

On my Laptops/netbooks/older desktop I run AntiX since it is a rolling release style of distro with no need for reinstall if one does not wish to.

I've been running AntiX core iso for some time now on a old Amrel RT 786 EX where I installed LXDE desktop and have it configured just like I like it. All apps are current with Debian Testing.

http://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31202

I like the rolling concept of running Debian testing. Would be nice if Debian testing repos and Ubuntu would be a match. But. You get what you want via preferences so I might even just ditch Ubuntu one day to just go with Debian instead. Haven't really made up my mind yet. Got a year to decide. A year is eternity in linux development.

Nice thing is. I have enough hardware to play with any Linux version I wish to test and see.

Posting this from a old IBM A22M Laptop

~$ inxi -z -F
System: Host: Biker Kernel: 3.3.5-antix.1-486-smp i686 (32 bit)
Desktop: IceWM 1.3.7 Distro: antiX-M11-686 Jayaben Desai 01 May 2011
Machine: Mobo: IBM model: 2628TWU Bios: IBM version: KXET33WW (1.06 ) date: 09/05/2001
CPU: Single core Pentium III (Coppermine) (-UP-) cache: 256 KB flags: (sse) clocked at 1000.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: ATI Rage Mobility P/M AGP 2x
X.Org: 1.11.3.901 drivers: ati,mach64 (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x768@87.0hz
GLX Renderer: Rasterizer GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 7.11.2
Audio: Card: Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24/30 [CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] driver: snd_cs46xx
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: 1.0.24
Network: Card-1: 3Com 3c556B CardBus [Tornado] driver: 3c59x
IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Card-2: Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI driver: rt61pci
IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 20.0GB (23.1% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: IC25N020ATCS04 size: 20.0GB
Partition: ID: / size: 6.4G used: 3.6G (59%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 12G used: 4.3G (40%) fs: ext4
ID: swap-1 size: 0.76GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 52.0C mobo: 42.0C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 0
Info: Processes: 98 Uptime: 1:03 Memory: 246.9/501.6MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4

I got a a22m sitting around it is yours free if you pay the shipping.

viperdvman
May 27th, 2012, 04:48 AM
http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/

HTH :)

Thank you so much for the link. Nothing much to feel nostalgic about, though. I've only seen some of the older Ubuntu screenshots, not actually run them. But I might have fun running an older Ubuntu release :D

I started ubuntu at 7.04 or so. I don't like the direction it took starting with 10.04 =/

You mean with Unity? 'cause that actually started with 11.04. What other directions did Ubuntu take besides focusing purely on Unity?

Lucradia
May 27th, 2012, 07:09 AM
You mean with Unity? 'cause that actually started with 11.04. What other directions did Ubuntu take besides focusing purely on Unity?

Before 10.04, I never got GRUB Failed messages, no matter how my HDD was set up. Now, if I do it without re-formatting the drive to being blank before using ubuntu, GRUB will fail to install. (CLI Only, not Expert CLI.)

something changed in the ntfs-3g I think to cause that issue. This only affects the mini.iso.

Similarly, I don't know what gnome package to use to install gnome2.

-jay-
May 27th, 2012, 08:54 AM
at the momemt i am on windows (hd issues) uggh. i am happy with 10.04 to me that is the best version out. the only minor issue i have is i can't update to transmission 2.52 or gimp 2.80 other then that i am very pleased

pt123
May 27th, 2012, 01:31 PM
for me the releases 18 months apart for some reason were great: 7.10, 9.04, 10.10, 12.04

fatality_uk
May 27th, 2012, 05:39 PM
I have been knocking around Linux longer than I care to remember and Ubuntu since Edgy/Feisty.

I am not currently using Ubuntu due to many reasons, lack of Wubi and the fact that despite having a modern laptop, it just wont install!