PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation hangs using various methods.

markv12
May 26th, 2012, 03:36 AM
Hi, I'm attempting to install Ubuntu 12.04 64bit for the first time on a custom PC.

Specs:
Intel Ivy Bridge 3770
Gigabyte GA-Z77 motherboard
16gb G.Skill Ram
Evga GeForce 460
Crucial M4 SSD

I have produced install CDs and USB installations using instructions on the Ubuntu website (terminal stuff) as well as UNetBootin on both windows and mac machines. Through all of these methods I get to a screen with (sometimes among other commands) "Try Ubuntu without installing", "Check disk for defects", and "Install Ubuntu" I select install ubuntu and I get a blinking _ in the upper or lower left corner and the display blinks about every 4 seconds. At this point it hangs indefinitely as far as I can tell. I really just don't know where to go from here. I don't know how to do a verbose boot, so that might be a place to start.

Any Suggestions?

ravij96
May 26th, 2012, 03:38 AM
It might be a bad .iso try downloading the file again from the Ubuntu website and burning another CD. I ran into this same problem today and fixed it by re-downloading the iso. Hope this helps :).

markv12
May 26th, 2012, 04:17 AM
I downloaded another copy off the website and got the same issue. This time I got the maroon GUI where you can select a language.
Is it relevant that at the moment my hard drive is formatted for MacOS as this hardware is coming from a hackintosh I gave up on?

I also get the _ with the blinking screen if I select "try linux without installing"

Is there a better place to download than directly off Ubuntu?

The MD5 matches

this is really infuriating.

markv12
May 26th, 2012, 04:56 AM
sometimes the display loses input for a second and comes back like the display driver is getting messed up.

markv12
May 27th, 2012, 12:46 AM
Well if nothing else, does anyone know how to do a verbose boot?

forcecore
May 28th, 2012, 11:49 AM
I have z77 motherboard too (MSI) and my problem is acpi function causes ubuntu to reset computer, i can only use when acpi is off. Maybe you must disable acpi too with your problem.

justintime2002
June 5th, 2012, 03:34 AM
I'm currently running into the same problem. I'm trying to install Ubuntu onto a 128GB M4 using an Asrock Z77 motherboard and can't get past a blank terminal after the options screen. Very frustrating.

francisco2007
June 19th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Help!

The same here with Gigabyte Z77-D3H, and Ivy Bridge i7 3770.
I tried to install with 2 DVDs and one CD.
It always hung after the GRUB menu.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I'm Ubuntu user from 7.04 and I can't install it on my new machine.:(

YannBuntu
June 20th, 2012, 11:44 AM
@all: try to boot your installation media adding one or several options (eg "nomodeset", or "acpi=off"): https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions#Changing_the_CD.27s_Default_Boot_Optio ns