PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can i delete windows files after installing windows?

gogobaba
May 25th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Hello im currently installing ubuntu on my windows PC and i was wondering can i delete the windows files(folders)(windows,program files etc etc.) from my C drive.And if i do a clean install witn CD or USB flashdrive can i keep all the files from My D: pertiotion or i havet to back them up on the internet?

roelforg
May 25th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Yes, you could.
Just have the livecd overwrite the windows C: partition for the installation.
The D: will be untouched
Just make sure you pick the right one and you moved all stuff you want to keep to D:

gogobaba
May 25th, 2012, 07:34 PM
So if i download the disc image and install ubuntu on the pc with the cd it will give me option to install it on my OLD C: pertiotion of windows and format only the C: ?

I would love a fast reply because i installed it with the windows installer and its not that good and i want to do a clean install with the cd

Thank you

roelforg
May 25th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Well, the <character>: naming is windows style.
Linux uses /dev/sd<character><number_representing_partition>.
But yes, if you find out which one of the partitions is C: (the installer has a good gui for this), you tell it to use the old C: and it'll wipe C and install ubuntu on it.

EDIT: I just noticed: 1000'th bean!

gogobaba
May 25th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Well thank you for the fast reply again i downloaded and im buring the image right now.Hopefully everything will be fine :P

roelforg
May 25th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Well thank you for the fast reply again i downloaded and im buring the image right now.Hopefully everything will be fine :P
Let us know if it worked or if you have any remaining questions.
Ah, just drop a post about the result anyway.

gogobaba
May 25th, 2012, 08:38 PM
OK im stuck on the pertiotion screen of the install i have selected my old C: but when i click on Install now it says "no root files system is defined.please correct this from the pertiotioning menu".Im trying to install it on /dev/sda2 ntfs and when i click on it the only option it gives me it to change delete or rever..

Would love some help now

gogobaba
May 25th, 2012, 10:47 PM
Ive done its up and running :P