PDA

View Full Version : New SeaScape computers with Ubuntu

PenguinMan
June 17th, 2006, 07:49 PM
SeaScape LLC Announces New Ubuntu Computers

Ubuntu Solutions To Be Offered For The Consumer, Business, And Educational User

Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA, June 17, 2006 – SeaScape LLC today announced they are ready to offer Ubuntu Linux on their SeaScape computers.

“Ubuntu recently released version 6.06, and after testing the new version, we are ready to provide Ubuntu for our customers,” said James Rhodes, President of SeaScape LLC. “We wanted to find the best GNOME-based Linux distribution that was available, and when comparing many GNOME alternatives, Ubuntu's GNOME GUI clearly shows why they are so popular.”

About SeaScape LLC
SeaScape LLC was founded in 2005 to increase the awareness of Linux for desktop computers in the consumer, educational, business, and government sectors. In addition, SeaScape LLC has consumer and business solutions for the Microsoft Windows platform. SeaScape LLC is a Linspire Authorized Builder/Reseller, a PCLinuxOS OEM Partner, a Xandros OEM Partner/Reseller Partner (Gold Level), and a Microsoft Partner Program - OEM System Builder Program member. For more information about SeaScape LLC, visit http://www.seascape.us/.

For more information, please contact:

Public Relations Department
SeaScape LLC
505-216-7952
publicrelations@seascape.us

PenguinMan
June 17th, 2006, 07:54 PM
I have updated the look of the main website at SeaScape LLC (http://www.seacape.us/) - it is much nicer to view now. :) Also, I have updated the e-commerce website at Buy SeaScape! (http://www.buy-seascape.com/).

The following computer lines have been updated:

SeaScape Budget Series - http://www.seascape.us/html/budget-linux.html

SeaScape Value Series - http://www.seascape.us/html/value-linux.html

The Signature Series line is going to be updated next week, with the same cube case. The Gamer Series and Extreme Series are to come soon...

dabear
June 17th, 2006, 07:55 PM
What about codecs and such, are they included? What other optimalizations/customizations are you doing? How much cheaper would a ubuntu based PC be compared to the same computer with Windows XP OEM?

PenguinMan
June 17th, 2006, 07:56 PM
I hope this is the right area to post a press release. If not, please move to the appropriate area. Thank you. :)

PenguinMan
June 17th, 2006, 08:03 PM
What about codecs and such, are they included? What other optimalizations/customizations are you doing? How much cheaper would a ubuntu based PC be compared to the same computer with Windows XP OEM? We are only offering the standard install and the installation will be updated, but the codecs must be downloaded by the consumer. The reason for this is that in the USA, there are certain legalities that must be followed.

There are Windows versions of these computers - the cost for a Windows XP Home Edition (SP2) - OEM is significantly higher ~ $100 more. No Microsoft penalty with the Ubuntu version. ;)

See the website...

orev
June 17th, 2006, 08:20 PM
I'm not trying to pick on you my friend...as I understand everyone needs to make a buck, but:

Please do not make your first post to the forums a sales pitch. This is a community, not an marketing tool. If you hang out on the forums for awhile, lend a hand here and there, and THEN say, "Hey, I sell stuff." It makes you look much cooler.

PenguinMan
June 17th, 2006, 08:54 PM
I'm not trying to pick on you my friend...as I understand everyone needs to make a buck, but:

Please do not make your first post to the forums a sales pitch. This is a community, not an marketing tool. If you hang out on the forums for awhile, lend a hand here and there, and THEN say, "Hey, I sell stuff." It makes you look much cooler.
This is not my first posting in these forums... ;)

I was told by someone, when we were ready to announce our new Ubuntu systems, to post it right here in this forum. I am only doing what I was told to do...

MetalMusicAddict
June 17th, 2006, 09:02 PM

This is the "Community Market" and as such, the right place to post.

dabear
June 17th, 2006, 09:10 PM
This is the "Community Market" and as such, the right place to post.
Yeah, but it was located in the Ubuntu Cafe-section before a mod moved this thread here.

Anyway, 0 or a billion beans aside, this is truly great. I hope something like this happens in norway too some day.

PenguinMan
June 17th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Yeah, but it was located in the Ubuntu Cafe-section before a mod moved this thread here.

Anyway, 0 or a billion beans aside, this is truly great. I hope something like this happens in norway too some day.
That was the press release in the Cafe area... I was careful to make sure I posted any actual information in the Community Market area. :)

dabear
June 17th, 2006, 09:28 PM
That was the press release in the Cafe area... I was careful to make sure I posted any actual information in the Community Market area. :)
Well, I didn't find the thread there anymore, so I thought it was moved here:cool:

I wonder if it's mostly geeks, enthusiasts and computer experts who buys these kind of computers, or are those "ordinary people" (inexperienced with linux and computers in general) buying them too?

If you guys haven't done this already then you should use the OEM mode of the alternate/text based install cd and ship tools such as automatix, easyubuntu etc with your computers.

Oh, and why the sienna-colored text?

PenguinMan
June 17th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Well, I didn't find the thread there anymore, so I thought it was moved here:cool:

I wonder if it's mostly geeks, enthusiasts and computer experts who buys these kind of computers, or are those "ordinary people" (inexperienced with linux and computers in general) buying them too?

If you guys haven't done this already then you should use the OEM mode of the alternate/text based install cd and ship tools such as automatix, easyubuntu etc with your computers.

Oh, and why the sienna-colored text? hehehe

I am checking out the OEM mode CDs this weekend. I was more concerned with the testing of the regular ISO, once it was released on June 1st. ;)

Text colour? I like the colour... :) I use blue in the Linspire and PCLinuxOS forums, so I thought I would use something different here.

PenguinMan
June 19th, 2006, 12:43 AM
Great news! We are presently testing a new configuration with an AMD AM2 motherboard/processor combination. I am typing this via Ubuntu 6.06 (Live CD) with audio, LAN, video working PERFECTLY! I am impressed with Ubuntu 6.06!

PenguinMan
June 20th, 2006, 04:01 PM
SeaScape LLC Announces Updated Signature Series Computers

PCLinuxOS and Ubuntu family - Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu - On New AMD AM2 Solution

Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA, June 20, 2006 – SeaScape LLC today announced they are ready to offer their updated SeaScape Signature Series computers to PCLinuxOS and Ubuntu family - Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu - customers.

“After much testing on the new AMD AM2 platform, we are proud to be the first Linux OEM to offer this new solution for PCLinuxOS and Ubuntu family customers,” said James Rhodes, President of SeaScape LLC. “The AMD AM2 platform is great for consumers or businesses, because they can choose between a Sempron 64 or Athlon 64 processor to go on the same motherboard. This allows our customers to find a better solution than with the older 754-pin and 939-pin based platforms. From an OEM standpoint, the new AMD AM2 platform is a blessing.”

About SeaScape LLC
SeaScape LLC was founded in 2005 to increase the awareness of Linux for desktop computers in the consumer, educational, business, and government sectors. In addition, SeaScape LLC has consumer and business solutions for the Microsoft Windows platform. SeaScape LLC is a Linspire Authorized Builder/Reseller, a PCLinuxOS OEM Partner, a Xandros OEM Partner/Reseller Partner (Gold Level), and a Microsoft Partner Program - OEM System Builder Program member. For more information about SeaScape LLC, visit http://www.seascape.us/.

For more information, please contact:

Public Relations Department
SeaScape LLC
505-216-7952
publicrelations@seascape.us