PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing windows in ubuntu

nani2ratna
May 25th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Hello Guys,

I got a new laptop from my office Dell vostro 1540 with windows 64 bit onit. All my team members are on Ubuntu, then I had to install Ubuntu, Installed ubuntu but replaced Windows 7. So now I dont have windows 7 and also dont have recovery disk, but I have recovery partition in the laptop.
I want to have windows 7 & ubuntu as dual boot.
You can see the screenshot of my disk utility in the attachment.
Which is the best way to install windows 7 without backup & reinstalling ubuntu. Please help me.

Thanks
Ratna

2F4U
May 25th, 2012, 04:14 PM
If you don't have recovery or installation disks for Windows 7 I guess your only option is to use the recovery partition. I don't know how the Dell recovery works, but other recovery tools do a factory reset, which means that Ubuntu is most likely removed.

Enigmapond
May 25th, 2012, 04:44 PM
The Dell partition does not install Windows. It only has the original factory defaults for the software and is used in case the system gets corrupted. With NO Windows on the computer, it cannot be used. Just another "perk" by MS....no disk...no OS.

xXQuadPolarXx
May 25th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Yeah,

Unfortunately most computers now days do not come with the OS on disk or on the hidden partitions. Instead they are preinstalled making it so you are dependent on the company or place you bought your computer from to reinstall it for you which is how they make more money off you.

I would suggest trying to buy a copy of 7 off eBay used or new which ever but at least that way you can get it cheaper if you don't want to pay up the ... for it.

As for reinstallation of your original programs & OS I suggest that you contact the retailer you bought it from or Dell.

Mark Phelps
May 26th, 2012, 11:35 PM
I would suggest trying to buy a copy of 7 off eBay used or new which ever but at least that way you can get it cheaper if you don't want to pay up the ... for it.

And ... if you're foolish enough to actually DO this ... you will get something unexpected: most likely, a pirated version of Win7 with a STOLEN MSDN key or a nonworking VLK (volume license key).

Why do you think folks are selling these cheap? Because, they don't work!

The Windows Seven forums are chock full of folks whining about how their Win7 suddenly got deactivated and won't work anymore -- and when they are asked where they got it, they all say eBay!

Get a REAL version. IT will cost more, but it won't deactivate down the road -- forcing you to get a real version, anyway.

wilee-nilee
May 26th, 2012, 11:53 PM
Never seen a recovery partition that was not the full install to be reloaded. It is either the disc copy or the install imaged.