PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual Monitor

xcrunner78
May 25th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Hello all,

I am sort of new and am still learning how to use Ubuntu. I recently downloaded the latest LTS 12.04. Yesterday everything was working great. Today I cannot get dual monitor to work. When I plug my laptop into an external monitor, the laptop goes blank and only the monitor displays. I go to display and click on the laptop and turn it on, then I hit apply. Nothing happens. I close Display and re-open it and the laptop is turn off. Does anyone have any ideas what I am doing incorrect here? What sort of other information do I need to put down here to get this corrected?

Thanks!
Jason

xcrunner78
May 27th, 2012, 11:53 PM
So, I tried a few things. In the displays, I click on the laptop and turn it on and click on the monitor and turn that off, then my laptop works. When I click back on the monitor and turn it on, my laptop displays turns off, but it says it is on in the display windows. I got aggravated and re-installed and that did not fix the problem. I have no idea what to do and I have a Master's Defense this Thurs. Please help if you can!

Thanks,
Jason

alphageek6
June 11th, 2012, 04:36 AM
I just started having this problem. I used to be able to power up with an extenal monitor installed and I would get an dual Monitor setup. Recently whenever I plug in an external monitor my laptop monitor turns off. Attempting to turn it back on in the display settings does nothing.

I am a rather new Linux and an considering moving away from M$ but need a little help. I am using Ubuntu 12.04 and these monitors have been working fine. It is not the laptop monitor as if I detach the external monitor the internal monitor comes right on.

Would appreciate any help.

xcrunner78
June 11th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Hi alphageek6,

I learned that it is a bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/796030

I was told try disabling kernel mode setting. But I didn't know how to do this, so I went back to 10.04 until the newest version of 12.04 is released with the 12.04.1.

Sorry that I am no help.

Jason

Ashrael
June 12th, 2012, 06:03 PM
I have some problems too with a dual monitor setup (netbook+21").
If I start the machine with the 21" attached to it, it only gives two black screens with a pointer. Then if I physicaly remove the monitor cable and re-attach it after 5 seconds it starts to work as I desire (and set in the settings). I have installed Jupiter applet, which gives me options for video also, try that I say...
Also: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1987792 I WANT IT NOW! :P

areUKEidding
June 15th, 2012, 05:25 PM
I also have problems with the recent updates and my external monitor. Except for me, ubuntu does not recognize the external monitor at all. I can boot into Windows and everything works as before but already at GRUB only the laptop display works.

I am a bit fed up with this, is it really so complicated to implement dual monitor support in ubuntu? I was already confused when everything worked great using the live CD, but after installation just like now only the laptop display works. I was so relieved when I got everything to work, and now all of that is for nothing again. What happened?