PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Windows Installer and User Account

gmseed
May 25th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Hi

I followed the installation instructions at:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/install-ubuntu-with-windows

In Step 3 it states "...To install Ubuntu, all you need to do is choose your user name and password..."

so I entered a username [not equal to Administrator as shown and set to "gmseed"] and password.

However, when I complete installation and reboot the m/c I'm faced with either logging on as "Administrator" or "Guest Session".

It would appear that the "Administrator" account is the user-account entered during installation. Let's say the username entered was "gmseed", it does not appear in the list but shows as Administrator. Thus, what was the point of entering a username other than "Administrator"?

Thanks

Graham

wilee-nilee
May 25th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Hi

I followed the installation instructions at:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/install-ubuntu-with-windows

In Step 3 it states "...To install Ubuntu, all you need to do is choose your user name and password..."

so I entered a username [not equal to Administrator as shown and set to "gmseed"] and password.

However, when I complete installation and reboot the m/c I'm faced with either logging on as "Administrator" or "Guest Session".

It would appear that the "Administrator" account is the user-account entered during installation. Let's say the username entered was "gmseed", it does not appear in the list but shows as Administrator. Thus, what was the point of entering a username other than "Administrator"?

Thanks

Graham

It has been a long time since I installed a wubi to check it out.

If you open a terminal in ubuntu what is the name there?

gmseed
May 25th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Hi

Thanks for your reply. The Terminal shows user account "gmseed"; ie not Administrator.

It must be a bug. I entered "gmseed" during installation but it shows "Administrator" at startup.

Graham

wilee-nilee
May 25th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Hi

Thanks for your reply. The Terminal shows user account "gmseed"; ie not Administrator.

It must be a bug. I entered "gmseed" during installation but it shows "Administrator" at startup.

Graham

Not sure really, maybe another wubi user will chime in to state whether this is normal, at the login. :)