PDA

View Full Version : An open letter to the Ubuntu Community

wolfen69
May 25th, 2012, 06:12 AM
I formally renounce my Ubuntu Membership. For the longest time, I thought being an ubuntu member would be cool, (and I was helping a lot of people), but due to recent events like moving to a new part of the country, getting a new job, trying to patch things up with my family, and many other real life type stuff, I can no longer in good conscious keep the moniker of "ubuntu member".

I am no longer into debates, arguments, or to be honest, computers in general. Believe me, I never saw this coming, and would have bet against it 6 months ago. But people change, and ever since my computer repair business tanked, I've kinda taken a different view on the whole "tech" thing. Maybe I'm bitter, I don't know.

On top of that stuff, I'm really disappointed by the ubuntu's community's reaction to unity. Believe me, I could have handled that by itself, but everything I am going through, + dissent from the masses is too much for my brain. I feel like I have nothing left to give to Canonical, and it would be only fair to give up my position.

I'm not asking to wipe out my ubuntu forums membership, just that I can no longer carry the Canonical flag and wave it high. Some of you are the best, I hope you understand. My heart just isn't into it anymore.

One last thing, I'm still into linux and Ubuntu. That may never change. It's just not right for me to be an "ubuntu member" when I'm not contributing. I felt guilty about it, and wanted to make it right. But thank you to everyone that helped make me a member. I really appreciate it.

Next!

rk0r
May 25th, 2012, 06:27 AM
"The Community Cafe The Community Chat area is for lighthearted and enjoyable discussions, like you might find around a water cooler at work."

bigger and better things! - movement is change and that is good!.

JDShu
May 25th, 2012, 06:31 AM
Time passes, things change, life happens :)

I realized myself that I had invested a bit too much of myself into UF a while ago and decided to step back a bit. I can completely understand where you're coming from.

wolfen69
May 25th, 2012, 06:32 AM
"The Community Cafe The Community Chat area is for lighthearted and enjoyable discussions, like you might find around a water cooler at work."

bigger and better things! - movement is change and that is good!.

Yeah, I know that. And yes, change can be good.

wolfen69
May 25th, 2012, 06:35 AM
Time passes, things change, life happens :)

I realized myself that I had invested a bit too much of myself into UF a while ago and decided to step back a bit.
Yeah, and when you have 9,000 posts, and no life, you scratch your head. At least I did. I'm not putting anyone down that chooses to be here, because I used to all the time too.

It's just my time here will be spent differently, that's all.

sffvba[e0rt
May 25th, 2012, 06:37 AM
Hi wolfen69,

An Ubuntu Member is someone that gives a sustained contribution to Ubuntu, with the keyword being sustained.

Being on the forum and a well known and well respected member since 2004 means your mere presents at any time on the forum helps create and keep the sense of community (which is very much what this forum is about).

Nobody expects an explosion of new contribution once you become a member. Real life happens, take the time and deal with it. The time and effort you have already given to Ubuntu shows that this isn't just a passing craze and who knows how you will feel in another 6 months?

My suggestion, wear the title of member proudly, take each day as it comes and revisit this chain of thought in a few months to see if it still holds true ;)

Regards

rk0r
May 25th, 2012, 06:39 AM
Yeah, I know that. And yes, change can be good.

A hiatus is whats needed...

lisati
May 25th, 2012, 06:41 AM
Circumstances and priorities change. You are a valuable member of this community, and I'm sure that people here will understand if you to choose to re-evaluate what level of involvement you want here on the forum.

wolfen69
May 25th, 2012, 06:49 AM
Hi wolfen69,

An Ubuntu Member is someone that gives a sustained contribution to Ubuntu, with the keyword being sustained.

Being on the forum and a well known and well respected member since 2004 means your mere presents at any time on the forum helps create and keep the sense of community (which is very much what this forum is about).

Nobody expects an explosion of new contribution once you become a member. Real life happens, take the time and deal with it. The time and effort you have already given to Ubuntu shows that this isn't just a passing craze and who knows how you will feel in another 6 months?

My suggestion, wear the title of member proudly, take each day as it comes and revisit this chain of thought in a few months to see if it still holds true ;)

Regards
OK, you actually make sense. I'll give it some thought before I resign. People do change, and who knows, I may regain some computer enthusiasm.

I'm just really torn right now, but I'm willing to give it time. Perhaps I'll change my mind.

Irihapeti
May 25th, 2012, 07:31 AM
I've seen several people do this recently - go all-out for Ubuntu membership and then, after a while, think seriously about letting it go. I do have to wonder what's happening here.

Just to make it clear, I thoroughly admire all of you who have applied for membership. (I won't be trying for it because I know that I don't measure up.) It's just that I wonder if people are holding themselves to too high a standard, as though it were a Nobel prize, PhD with honours, or something else that assumes you'll remain on the pinnacle of supreme excellence for the rest of your life.

I agree with those who say that we don't have to contribute at the same pace forever. It's absolutely OK to take time off to do other things. Think of it this way: at the end of your life, would you be regretting not spending more time on computers? I rather suspect not.

Actually, I do have an idea of what's going on: burnout. The best cure for burnout is to take time off and smell the roses, connect with people who are important to you and, above all, don't make any rash decisions. If you are thinking the same way in six months' time, then it may be the time to decide to leave. But on the other hand, it may be looking quite different by then - or even much sooner.

I've been on the brink of leaving projects and have fortunately remembered to step back for a bit before deciding. Some I've ultimately left anyway; others I kept a lower level of involvement in. In all cases, I was glad I took time to decide.

Whatever you do, Wolfen, and any others of you in a similar situation, I wish you all the best and I appreciate all you've done.

malspa
May 25th, 2012, 07:56 AM
On top of that stuff, I'm really disappointed by the ubuntu's community's reaction to unity.

That has bugged me, too, but it was always kinda nice to have you there to show people that many of us long-time Ubuntu users are fine with it.

I'm always watching out for your post; hope you'll still keep 'em coming.

Mikeb85
May 25th, 2012, 07:59 AM
On top of that stuff, I'm really disappointed by the ubuntu's community's reaction to unity.

I think the community, for the most part, is very pro-Unity. Look how many people have it on their computer in the screenshot thread. It's just that the 'haters' are more vocal and spam the forums. Getting too involved on forums is never good, as the anonymity that forums provide leads people to engage in behaviour they never would engage in face to face...

zombifier25
May 25th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Haters happens all the time. KDE4, new Facebook interface, blablabla... But over time, they die out, because the world has moved on, with or without them. I don't know about KDE4, but most haters hate Unity/GNOME Shell because they're different than their beloved GNOME 2 (and this is the same misconception about Linux's user unfriendliness)

I would advise you stick to your title, be proud of it, and take a break, come back here with some fresh air in your lung.

KiwiNZ
May 25th, 2012, 08:28 AM
@Wolfen69, this is from KiwiNZ friend and not KiwiNZ staff member. Don't resign take a break as long as you need there is no limitations. Do not let the Unity hating Trolls win, they offer us nothing and contribute nothing, you do my friend that is why you are a Ubuntu Member.

Take care yourself first.

Kia Kaha

nothingspecial
May 25th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Just to make it clear, I thoroughly admire all of you who have applied for membership. (I won't be trying for it because I know that I don't measure up.)

That is a common misconception :)

wolfen69, I agree with many of the posters above. Achieving Ubuntu membership does not mean you have to do anything, it's about what you have already done. Don't see it as a burden, be proud of it.

Take a break for a while and come back, the unity hate will die down, it's beyond old already.

Irihapeti
May 25th, 2012, 09:22 AM
@Wolfen69, this is from KiwiNZ friend and not KiwiNZ staff member. Don't resign take a break as long as you need there is no limitations. Do not let the Unity hating Trolls win, they offer us nothing and contribute nothing, you do my friend that is why you are a Ubuntu Member.

Kia Kaha

+100!!

KiwiNZ has said it much more eloquently (and briefly) than I did.

Perfect Storm
May 25th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Take a break time to time, I do that too.
And don't let the unity-haters get to you. They are few but loud and usually the post the same anti over and over again when they get the chance.

We made a poll at our loco ubuntu and 98% likes Unity and use it, the rest was spread to KDE/Gnome Shell/XFCE. So do like me Wolfen; Take a break now and then, and ignore the haters.

Peripheral Visionary
May 25th, 2012, 10:36 AM
I lurked here for a long time before finally joining. Wolfen, your posts have been among the most helpful, most informative, and most accurate in the general help threads. You earned your Ubuntu membership and the respect of a lot of people you don't even know.

So if "real life" intrudes upon that for a season, everyone understands. But it won't in any way diminish our respect for you. And for anyone who has earned the title of Ubuntu Member!

Take care of yourself first - that way you'll be around longer to help us newbies!

cprofitt
May 25th, 2012, 01:09 PM
@Wolfen69 there is no need to 'relinquish' Ubuntu Membership. It is for sustained contributions... but that does not mean your level of contribution has to be high all the time. We, as a community, understand that changes happen in life and respect that.

Take some time away from what has given you pause.

Take some time to reflect on the wonderful community that is Ubuntu.

Take some time to remember all the friends you have made through Ubuntu.

There is no need to rush such a decision... no pressure from the Ubuntu Community... no pressure from your friends...

We respect you... We respect your contributions... We support you as a friend.

cortman
May 25th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Hi wolfen69,

Regards

+1000e+12- I wholeheartedly echo not found's words. Take a break and keep the membership- your past contribution will more than sustain your membership in the future.
I've really appreciated your contributions to the forums. Best wishes!

neu5eeCh
May 25th, 2012, 02:10 PM
One of these days I'm going to throw my technology out the window and never look back. I'm gonna' build myself a tiny house with a view of the clouds. I'm gonna' have a little desk, some paper and a book shelf. Gonna' lean back in a field with a stalk of wheat in my mouth and watch the world spin -- the way we were made to do.

grahammechanical
May 25th, 2012, 02:38 PM
@wolfen69

I sympathise with much of what you say in your first post. I too have been affected by the reaction of some against Unity.

I see Ubuntu as gift that we do not pay a penny for. And yet we are not forced to use it. Ubuntu may not be a democracy (as we sometimes say) but it is not a cult either.

If we do not like Ubuntu, then we do not have to use it. There is certainly no justification for speaking abusively of Ubuntu, Canonical or Mark Shuttleworth. I do not see why it should be tolerated on a Ubuntu forum.

As regards Ubuntu Membership I do not really understand what it involves or requires. I too think that I have not done enough to warrant the badge.

But think about these few points:

1) Applications need the support of forum colleagues for approval. So, that says something about how your forum colleagues think and feel about you as an individual. Sometimes we all need to recognise that there are those who think well of us.

2) Ubuntu Membership for a Ubuntu Forum user gives a voice from the forums in the greater Ubuntu community. It is now being recognised that the Ubuntu community is much wider than those few who develop Ubuntu as an OS.

3) Your feelings about not being able to live up to being a Ubuntu Member prove that you are the kind of person who should be a Ubuntu Member. We do not want people who see Ubuntu Membership as some kind of title or as a means of gaining authority over others. From your comments I see that you are not like that.

Finally, based upon my own personal experiences I would say that when we are under stress or depressed then it is not the time to make serious decisions.

Regards.

nothingspecial
May 25th, 2012, 04:10 PM
As regards Ubuntu Membership I do not really understand what it involves or requires. I too think that I have not done enough to warrant the badge.

The main criteria for consideration will be "a sustained and real contribution to the quality of the Ubuntu Forums and through that to the wider Ubuntu community." We expect a minimum of six months of consistent involvement. Applicants must either be infraction-free or must not have had an active infraction for at least one year.

Those are the requirements. After membership is achieved, you can do as much or as little as you like. You do not have to do anything more than what you have already been doing, you can even sail off into the sunset if you like. Ubuntu membership is about what you have already done, not about what you are expected to do.

Bandit
May 25th, 2012, 04:37 PM
@ Wolfen
Life can bring unexpected changes to ones life. Though we can look back on decisions we make in life what the future holds for us is never set in stone. We all go through phases and adjustments from time to time. I for one am trying to slowly to really get back into the community and trying to help. One day you may do the same. Take the advice of everyone, take a break and in a few months or so you can safely reevaluate your position. But dont let a spare of the moment decision take away something you earned.

- Joe

forrestcupp
May 25th, 2012, 04:57 PM
You've earned your membership by what you've already done. I haven't noticed anyone who has become a member and had their membership revoked. So why give it up? I'd say you've earned it, unless you've asked over 9000 support questions. :)

A year from now, you probably won't be going through the same struggles you are today, and you'll probably be back on here in the middle of everything again.

Also, why would you let people who hate Unity get to you that badly? Whether or not I like Unity isn't nearly as important as things like your family, health, and job. One thing I learned a long time ago on here, especially from the Backyard days, is that nothing anyone says on a computer over the internet is worth me having a bad day over. You can pick and choose which conversations you want to be a part of or ignore. And who really cares if someone likes or hates Unity? That's not one of the most important things in life.

Dragonbite
May 25th, 2012, 05:01 PM
I formally renounce my Ubuntu Membership. For the longest time, I thought being an ubuntu member would be cool, (and I was helping a lot of people), but due to recent events like moving to a new part of the country, getting a new job, trying to patch things up with my family, and many other real life type stuff, I can no longer in good conscious keep the moniker of "ubuntu member".
I am no longer into debates, arguments, or to be honest, computers in general. Believe me, I never saw this coming, and would have bet against it 6 months ago. But people change, and ever since my computer repair business tanked, I've kinda taken a different view on the whole "tech" thing. Maybe I'm bitter, I don't know.

Good luck with your changes and your family. No one should argue that this isn't more important than tech. Doubt anybody lays on their deathbed and says "I wish I spent more time arguing with people on the forums!" :popcorn:

While nobody can predict what will happen, at least you know you have done, and done well. You didn't "get" the membership banner, you earned it.

On top of that stuff, I'm really disappointed by the ubuntu's community's reaction to unity. Believe me, I could have handled that by itself, but everything I am going through, + dissent from the masses is too much for my brain. I feel like I have nothing left to give to Canonical, and it would be only fair to give up my position.

In the grand scheme of things, arguments will go on if not about this, then about something else. The difference is here there is the chance of something good coming out of it.

Don't worry about what you can give, be proud of what you have given.

(kudos in being able to put up with PITAses like me :lolflag: )

PaulW2U
May 25th, 2012, 05:07 PM
I formally renounce my Ubuntu Membership.

Please withdraw this request.

If you agree with what Canonical are doing with Ubuntu and its derivatives then you should keep your membership.

You've earned it. It's as simple as that. :)

hakermania
May 25th, 2012, 05:13 PM
I want just to say something, because I don't know whether you were clear on it or not. But one shouldn't see things like this. You may have 9000 posts, yes, but this doesn't mean that you don't have a real life.

I have about 1500 posts and I've spent millions of hours on UF and doing stuff on my PC, like programming or learning how to do other stuff. But this doesn't distract me from my real life: I have a girlfriend, being on a relationship for 3 years, I do well in school (I'm about 18) and I guess my future job will be about ~8 hours~ plus the work for home, nothing more than school, and I regret nothing, really. Is it so bad that PCs excite me?
Also, I don't believe that I waste my time; not at all.

Jokes about non-lifers are made from people who have no idea what a PC is.

Sorry if I am a bit off-topic, I just wanted to clear out something, because I fear hate this ideology, that PC geeks are non-lifers.

CharlesA
May 25th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Yeah, and when you have 9,000 posts, and no life, you scratch your head. At least I did. I'm not putting anyone down that chooses to be here, because I used to all the time too.

It's just my time here will be spent differently, that's all.

I suppose it depends on how you define "no life." ;) I've got a buncha posts and most of them have come after I have become staff/an ubuntu member. While I am not as active as previously, I'm still around. ;)

Life is always changing, priorities change, and that is how it works. Take a break and recharge, then decide what you want to do. :)

Hi wolfen69,

Regards

I don't think I could have said it any better.

Kia Kaha

Aye. +1

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 25th, 2012, 09:48 PM
I haven't noticed anyone who has become a member and had their membership revoked. So why give it up?

For those interested, based on the Ubuntu Forums Membership page, membership is good for 2 years before it expires.

If you continue to provide a sustained contribution then it should be renewed. Sustained doesn't mean spending a lot of time on the forum solving problems. We contribute what we can, given that we have a real-world life. We are all volunteers.

On the Ubuntu Forums Membership page, I have not seen anyone withdraw their membership. We are all good for another year or more.

spynappels
May 25th, 2012, 10:06 PM
@Wolfen

Take some time like everybody else has said. Sometimes life gets in the way, but it does not wipe out what you've already done. We all go through active and less active cycles, but you're a valued member and I'd hate to see you drop it all.

Hang in there, and come back when you're ready, don't make a decision from the bottom of a hole, wait until you've got back up out of it and then make your decision.

Whatever you decide, I wish you all the very best.

Kindest regards,
Stefan

kevdog
May 26th, 2012, 05:50 AM
Its good to see a bunch of Ubuntu Members chiming in here.

You don't need to have an Ubuntu Forum Membership badge below your name to have honor. You are neither more nor less of a man because of your membership. Many, including I, have really enjoyed the time you have spent with us. I'd be jealous if I didn't have some underlying feelings that want you to keep contributing. Take care of yourself first however, and we'll be here waiting if you decide to come back.

roelforg
May 26th, 2012, 11:13 AM
@Wolfen
It's sad to hear this.
One day i hope that my posts are as helpful as yours, so it's sad to hear a great mind like you say this.
But, IMHO, you've well and truly deserved the title of Ubuntu Member.

wolfen69
May 26th, 2012, 02:10 PM
As I said before, I am going to take a break for a while and hopefully come back refreshed. Thanks everyone for your kind words.

sisco311
May 26th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Thread closed as per OP's request.

Take care, wolfen69 and hope to see you soon.