PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] hesitating to upgrade

crs501
May 25th, 2012, 04:20 AM
I am presently running Ubuntu 10.04 with Firefox 12.0 and everything is running smoothly on my old PC. I am interested in the new Ubuntu upgrade (12.04). Would it be wise to wait a while longer before attempting the upgrade or is it running smoothly now? I have not yet seen the 12.04 upgrade available on the Update Manager yet. (Might that be a hint?) I'd hate to go from the current fully and smoothly functioning 10.04 to the upgrade if it's only gonna give me headaches and problems.

Any advice? ~ Richard

carl4926
May 25th, 2012, 04:27 AM
I don't think Upgrade from 10.04 is recommended.

Try the live cd, see how it feels

Remember always.. to make a backup if you do plan a new install.

plucky
May 25th, 2012, 08:55 AM
I am presently running Ubuntu 10.04 with Firefox 12.0 and everything is running smoothly on my old PC. I am interested in the new Ubuntu upgrade (12.04). Would it be wise to wait a while longer before attempting the upgrade or is it running smoothly now? I have not yet seen the 12.04 upgrade available on the Update Manager yet. (Might that be a hint?) I'd hate to go from the current fully and smoothly functioning 10.04 to the upgrade if it's only gonna give me headaches and problems.

Any advice? ~ Richard

10.04 has still got another 11 months of support so continue to use what works.I have seen on the forum that you will only be offered the upgrade to 12.04 after the first point release comes out in July.

Also, try the Live CD as the new Unity interface is very different to the desktop in 10.04.

Good Luck

codemaniac
May 25th, 2012, 09:00 AM
I have seen on the forum that you will only be offered the upgrade to 12.04 after the first point release comes out in July.

Are you sure ? Few days back i was sucessfully able to upgrade my ubuntu server to 12.04 .

plucky
May 25th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Are you sure ? Few days back i was sucessfully able to upgrade my ubuntu server to 12.04 .

There is nothing stopping you upgrading now,but it is not being offered in the Update Manager as yet.

darkod
May 25th, 2012, 10:09 AM
When you are running the previous LTS, the upgrade is offered after the first .1 gets released, in this case in July when 12.04.1 comes out. That's why there is nothing in update manager yet.

In any case, as mentioned, I suggest you try it in live mode, take a full backup, and only then try to upgrade.

If you don't want to wait until July you can do it now with the -d option:
sudo update-manager -d

That should offer upgrade to 12.04.

But note that some issues reported might be solved in 12.04.1, which doesn't mean you would have these issues at all even if you upgrade now.

grantmcduling
May 25th, 2012, 10:30 AM
I am following this thread with interest. I am running 11.10 and see I am being offered the upgrade to 12.04 on my update manager. Question: how long on average do you think it will take should I upgrade via the update manager? Will it tie up my line for hours or even days? My internet connection is high speed ADSL 2.

mörgæs
May 25th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Online upgrades are risky. They might be quick and smooth, but they could also create a mess.

If there is no particular reason to leave 11.10 you could just skip every other version and go to 12.10, when it's getting stable (a few months after release).

ottosykora
May 25th, 2012, 05:48 PM
I am following this thread with interest. I am running 11.10 and see I am being offered the upgrade to 12.04 on my update manager. Question: how long on average do you think it will take should I upgrade via the update manager? Will it tie up my line for hours or even days? My internet connection is high speed ADSL 2.

last weekend I upgraded 4 installs, online, each needed two runs as all had 11.04 on it.

Update download on my relatively slow internet (adsl) did take some 1.5h on each upgrade and then abt 1-1.5h to install it, depending here on the speed of the computer itself. The fastest one I have did it in abt 1h, the slowest in abt 2h.

This means in about 6h one computer was uptodate so far.

I did that on 4 installs and all went fine, no surprises, nothing I did not expect before.

At the end, I spent some time in installing classic DE and tweaking it to my taste.

Spent all together abt 4 days with those 4 installs.

mastablasta
May 25th, 2012, 06:07 PM
update indeed does take about 1-2 hours depending on computer and conneciton. fresh isntall takes about 20 minutes and then some to add porgramme sif oyu had a lot of customised stuff. if not then it's not really an issue.
in my case it doenloaded the updates in about 8 minutes but took well over an hour to install it all.

since i would also have to upgrade to 11.10 and then to 12.04 i decided i don't have 4 more hours to wait so i just did a backup & fresh install & restore and was over in about an hour.