PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Black screen after bootup of new 12.04 install

Ububtubobl
May 25th, 2012, 03:53 AM
I tried a fresh install of 12.04 on my compac presario f700 laptop this afternoon. After boot up it went to a black screen. It took 3 tries to install 64 bit version (kept freezing up). I finally re-installed 10.04 which went fine. Any suggestions?

carl4926
May 25th, 2012, 03:59 AM
At the grub menu press F6 and select nomodeset
hit enter
if that gets you to the desktop
install the nvidia driver and reboot

raja.genupula
May 25th, 2012, 03:59 AM
what kind of VGA drivers you got ?
-- at grub menu choose recovery mode
-- then go to failsafeX mode
-- open system settings > Additional Hardware >

it lists required drivers for you by default , install from there and give a restart .

all the best .

darkod
May 25th, 2012, 10:06 AM
what kind of VGA drivers you got ?
-- at grub menu choose recovery mode
-- then go to failsafeX mode
-- open system settings > Additional Hardware >

it lists required drivers for you by default , install from there and give a restart .

all the best .

This wouldn't work since the OP already reinstalled 10.04.

You should try to boot with your 12.04 cd first in live mode (Try Ubuntu) and see whether that loads fine. If it doesn't, try the nomodeset parameter as suggested above. You have more details how to do it here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10069997&postcount=1

Ububtubobl
May 28th, 2012, 05:44 PM
I have reinstalled 12.04 but can not select "nomodeset" at f6 because no menu is presented at f6. Driver is nvidia. If I boot from a live cd it works. I have tried the workaround at the forum link above but "failsafex" just reloads default hardware . Thanks to everyone for their help but so far it still won't boot from the hard drive.

darkod
May 28th, 2012, 09:53 PM
When the system is already installed there is no F6 option, if that's what you are talking about. In the grub2 menu, when the ubuntu entry is highlighted, you need to press 'e' for edit, and then add the nomodeset in the line starting with linux, towards the end before 'quiet splash'.
Press Ctrl + X to boot.

Ububtubobl
May 29th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. System still booting to black screen. The forum seems to indicate nvidia cards not liking Ub 12.04. Maybe I should stay with 10.04 a little longer.

Dreskills
June 25th, 2012, 04:00 PM
I am having the same issue. Nomodeset is not working for me. I read something about booting in safe mode the install the Nvida drivers however I do not believe my PC will do that.

I refuse to let this beat me but I don't know what else to try. I am completely new to Ubuntu but I follow good directions.

rmason9
June 26th, 2012, 02:20 AM
I am also having this problem and have tried selecting nomodeset but it cause the system to boot to a frozen purple hashed-up screen. I'm running a Compaq Presario V6000 which says I have a generic display adapter. Would downloading a nVidia drive do me any good?

carl4926
June 26th, 2012, 04:33 AM
There is a bit of an article here
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132