PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 12.04LTS updated packages, now won't boot into unity

KMatsumari
May 25th, 2012, 02:15 AM
Yep, I am stuck with my terminal ONLY! I just did a packages update for the security updates, recommended updates, and my software packages updates. Now my system only boots into the terminal. I kind of need my desktop back, and really fast.

I have tried rebooting, I have tried starting and restarting lightdm, and unity. nothing succeeds. Should I apt-get install gdm, or should I do something else to recover my desktop manager?

It's like once I solve one thing, something else totally unrelated has to start acting up (for those who have seen my previous threads, I have been having issues with my server, which is now working just fine after a lot of troubleshooting). I swear if one more thing acts up after I fix this one I am going to take a sledge hammer to whatever it is and be done with it forever.

raja.genupula
May 25th, 2012, 04:05 AM
ok login in that terminal only , then after login . press CTRL+ALT+F7 , did you got any response ?

else type
sudo start lightdm

and let us know what you got .

alexcabal
May 25th, 2012, 11:19 AM
This happened to me too! I did a regular package upgrade last night using update-manager. I think there were some X packages upgraded. I shut down and this morning I booted up to find that it kicks me to tty1 without even getting to the graphical login. No matter what I do I'm stuck at tty1!

This is my work computer--I can't afford to have crap like this happening randomly. Can't log in because of a package update, WTF?? Anyone have any clues?

Edit: I'm using an AMD card in my laptop with fglrx

alexcabal
May 25th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Well after flailing around for a few hours I just sucked it up, formatted, and reinstalled. Now everything works again. Fortunately I keep /home/ on a different partition so it's just a matter of an entire day wasted reinstalling and reconfiguring instead of losing any data. THANKS UBUNTU!!!