PDA

View Full Version : CCTV Camera

rk0r
May 24th, 2012, 10:53 PM
I am in need of some advice for home CCTV.
I have been looking at wireless CCTV cameras and this would be great, the less cables needed the better.. however i notice that the camera needs a power supply this being 12v dc so you might as well have the cables also ?

Does anyone here have CCTV setup, if so how have you gone about it ?

Paqman
May 24th, 2012, 11:10 PM
however i notice that the camera needs a power supply this being 12v dc so you might as well have the cables also?

12V DC is very doable by battery if need be, although that's not necessarily more convenient than just running some twin-and-earth to wherever you need the camera.

HalfNote5
May 26th, 2012, 10:14 PM
I am in need of some advice for home CCTV.
I have been looking at wireless CCTV cameras and this would be great, the less cables needed the better.. however i notice that the camera needs a power supply this being 12v dc so you might as well have the cables also ?

Does anyone here have CCTV setup, if so how have you gone about it ?

The only advantage I can see to the wireless cameras is that you don't have to thread the wire ALLLLL the way back to your bus box for power, nor do you need (if you manage to get either a wifi one, or one that can wirelessly transmit video/audio) to run it all the way back to your computer.

(The WiFi ones are especially nice, as you just have to plug them into the wall. You can do the same with non-wifi ones and an RCA-type transmitter/receiver set.)

I've had pretty good luck using Motion with both wifi cams and using a wireless RCA transceiver coupled with a hauppauge WinTV card.

CharlesA
May 26th, 2012, 10:59 PM
The MOLE cameras (http://www.molecamera.com/) are pretty good.

Power isn't a big problem, stringing an ethernet cable to a switch or router is.

Bandit
May 27th, 2012, 03:18 AM
The MOLE cameras (http://www.molecamera.com/) are pretty good.

Power isn't a big problem, stringing an ethernet cable to a switch or router is.

Thats pretty nice. I had to bookmark that one.

CharlesA
May 27th, 2012, 03:28 AM
Thats pretty nice. I had to bookmark that one.
I was sorely tempted to pick a couple up when I saw them at Costco, but passed on account of being broke.

wirepuller134
May 27th, 2012, 12:39 PM
We mainly use wireless cameras for temporary locations or hard to get to locations. For other locations we will use analog with Baluns. We use Brickcom for wireless, they have the best track record for dependability. The also support 3G access so we can setup the camera in a remote location for a customer and pull data from it. I'm not sure what your budget is but that is the only manufacturer we use as of now for wireless. We stay away from Foscam, a few customers have requested them, but we have had issues with them and thus do not support them.