PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else trying Siduction?

ratcheer
May 24th, 2012, 10:23 PM
I installed the new Siduction 12.1 release with the LXDE option. It is already using the brand new Linux 3.4 kernel. So far, I am pretty impressed.

Is anyone else giving it a try?

drawkcab
May 25th, 2012, 02:03 AM
How does it compare to Linux Mint Debian Edition? I'm running LMDE XFCE on my old netbook but I might be tempted to fire up siduction if the resource usage is low.

ratcheer
May 25th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Well, I have never tried Mint, but right now I am running three terminals, two internet connections (ethernet and wireless), KeepassX with an open database, and the Midori web browser with two open tabs and it is using 330 MB of RAM. That is very light, IMHO.

Tim

ratcheer
May 25th, 2012, 03:45 PM
I just had a major success in Siduction that I have been unable to achieve in Ubuntu 12.04. I got my wireless Canon MP620 printer installed, configured, and working!

There are many threads relating many users' inability to print in Ubuntu 12.04. E.g., Cups seems broken under 12.04 LTS... (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1967725)

Siduction may be becoming my main distro.

Tim

drawkcab
May 25th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Well, I have never tried Mint, but right now I am running three terminals, two internet connections (ethernet and wireless), KeepassX with an open database, and the Midori web browser with two open tabs and it is using 330 MB of RAM. That is very light, IMHO.

Tim

That is very low, cool!

ubiquitin.jf
May 25th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Does it use the Debian installer and thus still contain that show-stopping CD drive bug which happens when you try to install from USB?

ratcheer
May 25th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Does it use the Debian installer and thus still contain that show-stopping CD drive bug which happens when you try to install from USB?

No, it does not use the Debian installer. It uses some crazy browser-based installer that I had a good deal of trouble with and is, in fact, my least liked part of the distro, so far. The installed is called "sidu-installer" and the documentation for it is in something called Bluewater Doc. I have no idea whether or how it will work from USB, but the doc is online.

http://manual.siduction.org/en/welcome-en.htm

Oh, one other drawback for the uneducated, such as myself, is that their Wiki is in German.

Tim

Toz
May 25th, 2012, 11:19 PM
I installed the new Siduction 12.1 release with the LXDE option. It is already using the brand new Linux 3.4 kernel. So far, I am pretty impressed.

Is anyone else giving it a try?

A few years back I ran sidux (which then became aptosid) as my main O/S. It has since been forked into siduction. I was really impressed with the speed and lightness of the xfce version. It is based on debian sid and is a very bleeding edge distro - especially with respect to new hardware support. It was/is an amazing distro. Alas, it was a little too bleeding edge for me and I grew weary of constantly fixing little (and sometimes big) bugs. I just wanted a distro that I could turn to and use to get work done. Not to take away from the quality of the distro, which I think is amazing, its just a personal preference and goal of mine to find and use a distro that is low maintenance, available, extendable in the ways that I need it to be and doesn't get in my way. That is why I am here (using Xubuntu).

ratcheer
May 26th, 2012, 12:31 AM
I understand completely, @toz. I have been using Arch Linux long enough to understand that they will break things willy nilly on these bleeding edge distros.

Tim

ratcheer
June 2nd, 2012, 04:38 PM
I am still really enjoying Siduction, but I have a small problem. When I edit a file with vi, the text is displayed in multiple colors. I suppose a lot of people like that, but some of it is unreadable, e.g., dark blue on the black background.

How can I change it to just have white text on the black background?

Adding to my confusion is that I don't know whether vi is really vi, or vim in disguise.

Tim

ratcheer
June 2nd, 2012, 04:52 PM
How can I change it to just have white text on the black background?

Adding to my confusion is that I don't know whether vi is really vi, or vim in disguise.

Never mind, I figured it out. First, the vi command does invoke vim. I solved my problem by creating new file ~/.vimrc with a single line containing "syntax off".

Tim

ratcheer
July 22nd, 2012, 06:07 PM
As of now, Siduction Linux is the first distro I am running to get the 3.5 kernel, which was just released a little earlier this weekend. Wow!

Tim