PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Setting up Canon LBP2900 printer in 64 bit Xubuntu

forbajato
May 24th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Just started using 64 bit Xubuntu and can't get my printer to work. I downloaded the drivers as explained here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CanonCaptDrv190) but in the 64bit folder there is only rpms of the drivers. Is there another place to get debs of the drivers or a way to change rpms to debs? Can I just install the 32bit debs? This is my first foray into 64bit Linux and I am still learning what is possible.

thomas

Sivella
May 24th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Hello,

The tutorial (part: 12.04) is only applicable for 32bits.
Canon don't provide DEB drivers for 64bits.

For a LBP2900, the simplest way is to download drivers from the PPA mickael-gruz.
The 64bits Maverick version works well with 12.04.

1) Purge any Canon drivers installed :

sudo apt-get purge cndrvcups*2) Download and install transitional package "gs-esp" :
http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/gs-esp
3) Download and install from the PPA depot the 2 packages :
https://launchpad.net/~michael-gruz/+archive/test/+build/2216444/+files/cndrvcups-common_2.20-1ubuntu4_amd64.deb (https://launchpad.net/%7Emichael-gruz/+archive/test/+build/2216444/+files/cndrvcups-common_2.20-1ubuntu4_amd64.deb)

https://launchpad.net/~michael-gruz/+archive/test/+build/2216478/+files/cndrvcups-capt_2.20-1ubuntu3_amd64.deb (https://launchpad.net/%7Emichael-gruz/+archive/test/+build/2216478/+files/cndrvcups-capt_2.20-1ubuntu3_amd64.deb)

Install first cndrvcups-common.
4) See my post #5 http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1983091
Starting at point#1 and of course change LBP6300 with LBP2900
As you can see 64bits install is more complicated than 32bits but it works.
Come back if you have any question/problem.
If every things work I will explain how to manage ccpd daemon ;)

Good luck.

forbajato
May 25th, 2012, 02:08 AM
For others following Sivella's 64bit Canon printer driver install tutorial ...

These are the only packages I needed to install on my stock Xubuntu 12.04 install:

lib32asound2,
lib32z1,
lib32ncurses5,
lib32ncursesw5,
lib32tinfo5 (added as a dependency)

This worked beautifully, thanks so much for the input!

One issue - I did do the "echo ia32-libs hold | sudo dpkg --get-selections" step but soon after I finished setting up the printer update manager notified me that it needed to update ia32-libs. Is there another way to keep it out of the update list?

thomas

forbajato
May 25th, 2012, 02:10 AM
If every things work I will explain how to manage ccpd daemon ;)

It worked, ready to hear how to manage the ccpd daemon!

thomas

Sivella
May 25th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Fine :D

One issue - I did do the "echo ia32-libs hold | sudo dpkg --get-selections" step but soon after I finished setting up the printer update manager notified me that it needed to update ia32-libs.Yes, but you can't "mark" this package for update ==> update is locked.

Is there another way to keep it out of the update list?Yes, install Synaptic packages manager. Select ia32-libs and lock the version. It will disappear from the update list.

Now for "auto-manage" ccpd daemon :
see my post#6 http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1982917

Good luck

forbajato
May 26th, 2012, 01:52 AM
Excellent, thanks so much for the assistance!

thomas

carbonmetrics
June 2nd, 2012, 10:48 AM
Hi Sivella, thanks for your assistance. I get stuck here:

henk@crunchbang:~$ sudo /usr/sbin/ccpdadmin -p LBP2900 -o /dev/usb/lp0

LBP2900 can't find in CUPS Spooler Entry!!

It is actually a 2900b printer, but putting "2900B" or "2900b" gives the same results. Do you know what's happening here?
[btw I am on Debian Crunchbang 64 bits].

Henk

Sivella
June 2nd, 2012, 04:05 PM
@ carbonmetrics

After drivers install, if you don't have reboot PC, you must restart cups to register the drivers in cups.

sudo service cups restartmay be it is why you have this error message.

Sivella
June 6th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Hello,

Due to a new cups update, it seems that usblp module is now blacklisted (like it was with 11.10).
So the printer is not mounted in /dev/usb.

The solution is to cancel this blacklist.

Edit this file : /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-cups-usblp.conf

Comment (#) the line : blacklist usblp
Here is my file :

# cups talks to the raw USB devices, so we need to blacklist usblp to avoid
# grabbing them
#blacklist usblp

forbajato
June 12th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Hello,

Due to a new cups update, it seems that usblp module is now blacklisted (like it was with 11.10).
So the printer is not mounted in /dev/usb.

How frustrating! Something has happened to my setup, it was working then it just stopped (I probably approved another update I shouldn't have). Now when I try to go through the tutorial, when I get to registering the printer with ccpdadmin I get the following error:

p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I thought it would be as simple as making a soft link to the file in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pkcs11 but that resulted in the following error when trying to register with ccpdadmin:

p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

Any thoughts on how to solve this?

thomas

Sivella
June 12th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Hello forbajato,

Does ia32-libs package (version 11.10) you have installed, according "my procedure", still locked to prevent update ?

forbajato
June 12th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Hello forbajato,

Does ia32-libs package (version 11.10) you have installed, according "my procedure", still locked to prevent update ?

Actually I went back and re-did your tutorial to try to fix this including reinstalling the ia32-libs package. It is locked now too.

thomas

Sivella
June 14th, 2012, 12:41 PM
How about the re-installation ?
Does printer work now ?

forbajato
June 14th, 2012, 02:25 PM
This problem came up during the reinstallation. Everything worked great until I got to your step 4, installing the ccpd daemon. That is when I get the error showing that gnome-keyring-pkcs1.so is missing (in the /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11 folder). At that point I tried making a soft link to the file in the /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pkcs11 folder but that didn't work either.

When I did the reinstall I did uninstall and reinstall the ia32-libs package (from the downloaded one). The uninstall involved removing skype as well. No big deal, I just reinstalled skype after the reinstall of the printer. I wondered if that would help (for some mysterious reason) so just tried doing the printer setup again but still get the same error.

Not sure it makes a difference but when I try to start captstatusui I get a
Socket Error, I assume this is because it is failing to register with ccpdadmin, correct?
thomas

Sivella
June 14th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Very strange indeed...
My Ubuntu 12.04-64bits is updated and I don't have any problem excepted usblp (solved) as mentioned in my post #9.
May be something different in Xubuntu ???

I had experienced this error message when I tested 12.04 alpha version.
At that time it was a registered bug, but it was solved in 12.04 beta version.

Here the solution :

Edit file : /etc/pkcs11/modules/gnome-keyring-module
Comment (#) line : module: gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so

# The file is installed/loaded from the default module p11-kit directory
#module: gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so

# And where to store and lookup trust objects
x-trust-store: pkcs11:library-manufacturer=GNOME%20Keyring;serial=1:XDG: DEFAULT
x-trust-lookup: pkcs11:library-manufacturer=GNOME%20Keyring
Restart PC.
Hope it will help you.

forbajato
June 14th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Very interesting. I modified the /etc/pkcs11/modules/gnome-keyring-module like you suggest. Then I deleted the printers still hanging around from the last time I tried something. I then went back to initializing the printer with lpadmin, ccpdadmin, then started ccpd.

After that I fired up captstatusui and realized the printer was not turned on. When I turned the printer on I got the "New Printer detected" notice and the system set up printer 2 (that has happened every other time so I ignored it). Then the captstatusui monitor closed on its own and when I tried to restart it I got the socket error.

Back to the top - deleted the existing printers, turned on the printer, initialized with lpadmin and ccpdadmin, started ccpd and everything is golden - printing without problems now. Just in time too, I have to print out some Latin tests!

I don't know what is going on here but I am glad it is working now, thanks again for your help!

thomas

Sivella
June 14th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Happy your printer works again :cool:

With 64bits, some time it is a nightmare ...
As I had experienced, when this f... LBP printer stop working without any reason, the best way is to remove/purge every things, including drivers cndrvcups, then install from zero.