PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Installing Ubuntu on a serperate Hard drive than windows

ravij96
May 24th, 2012, 03:30 AM
Hello there. I have finally built my new gaming computer and I currently have 2 1tb hard drives in the computer. I have installed windows on one to play games and i want to give 500gb of the second drive to Ubuntu. I have not used Ubuntu in over a year now and would like help in doing this. What would be the best way of doing this? The way i was planning was to do the following:

1. Unplug the sata cable from my Windows HDD
2. Install Ubuntu on the empty 1tb HDD
3. Set the Ubuntu Drive as the main boot drive
4. Plug the Windows HDD back in and boot into Ubuntu
5. Update GRUB and hope that it finds windows on the other HDD

I wanted to use this way so that the MBR for windows would be preserved. That way if I ever wanted to go back to only using Windows for what ever reason I could easily take the Ubuntu HDD out and then format it later on. My question is will this work. Thanks to anyone that replies. Also, sorry for any grammar or spelling mistakes I am about to head off to bed and too tired to proof read.

wilee-nilee
May 24th, 2012, 03:34 AM
Hello there. I have finally built my new gaming computer and I currently have 2 1tb hard drives in the computer. I have installed windows on one to play games and i want to give 500gb of the second drive to Ubuntu. I have not used Ubuntu in over a year now and would like help in doing this. What would be the best way of doing this? The way i was planning was to do the following:

1. Unplug the sata cable from my Windows HDD
2. Install Ubuntu on the empty 1tb HDD
3. Set the Ubuntu Drive as the main boot drive
4. Plug the Windows HDD back in and boot into Ubuntu
5. Update GRUB and hope that it finds windows on the other HDD

I wanted to use this way so that the MBR for windows would be preserved. That way if I ever wanted to go back to only using Windows for what ever reason I could easily take the Ubuntu HDD out and then format it later on. My question is will this work. Thanks to anyone that replies. Also, sorry for any grammar or spelling mistakes I am about to head off to bed and too tired to proof read.

Looks perfect. ;)

ravij96
May 24th, 2012, 11:25 PM
Thank you very much for the response I'll be installing it this weekend :).

wilee-nilee
May 25th, 2012, 12:26 AM
Thank you very much for the response I'll be installing it this weekend :).

Enjoy, post if you have problems, probably a new thread, but you can PM me if needed, lots of good help on the forums though.

ravij96
May 26th, 2012, 12:06 AM
Just finished installing everything went fine, only problem I ran into was a bad .iso but that was easily fixed. Now on 12.04 with gnome-shell installed thanks for all the help.