PDA

View Full Version : Any new AMD or faster Intel 3rd Gen i7s coming soon?

Bandit
May 24th, 2012, 02:02 AM
Anyone know if any new AMD or faster Intel 3rd Gen i7s coming soon?
Thought AMD was supposed to release something soon. The FX series like the 8150 is just sad. The newer ivy bridge i7s from Intel are kicking some tail ends in performance, but thought before to long they was going to release some 6 core versions that I havent seen yet. Been googling around but havent found any gossip to read. Has anyone else heard anything?

Cheers,
Joe

mips
May 24th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Intel's Haswell architecture will only be released next year, no idea about new chips based on the current IB architecture.

AMD 'should' be releasing their 2nd gen FX Bulldozer series processors towards the 3-4th quarter of this year.

MadmanRB
May 24th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Yeah buildozer is still getting started, it will be pretty good soon I imagine (though I wont be dropping my phenom II hex core anytime soon under pain of death, it will still be a viable processor in a few years)

Bandit
May 24th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Intel's Haswell architecture will only be released next year, no idea about new chips based on the current IB architecture.

AMD 'should' be releasing their 2nd gen FX Bulldozer series processors towards the 3-4th quarter of this year.

Yeah buildozer is still getting started, it will be pretty good soon I imagine (though I wont be dropping my phenom II hex core anytime soon under pain of death, it will still be a viable processor in a few years)

Was hoping they would release a updated FX series soon, but sadly looks like they want. Just read this here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulldozer_%28microarchitecture%29 .

I am normally all AMD and been using AMD chips since my 486DX4. But looks like I will be going with Intels IB i7-3770K, really wanted a 6 cores or more though.

mips
May 24th, 2012, 11:30 AM
But looks like I will be going with Intels IB i7-3770K, really wanted a 6 cores or more though.

If it's any consolation you will be getting 8 threads with your 4 cores.

Evil-Ernie
May 24th, 2012, 01:26 PM
I work for Intel and I have the new Core i5-3550 which is Ivybridge 22nm architecture on a mini-itx chassis running Ubuntu 12.04. It is running extremely well on a 90w PSU and I am using the supplied heatsink/fan, its just about getting warm so I have no thermal problems with it however I am not overclocking it.

Haswell wont be available until next year but it will be based on the same 22nm tri-gate process as IVB so looks like it will also be a great step forward.

The K sku i7's are brilliant, the main reason why I have the i5 is because it became available to me but given the choice I would go for an i7k.

Bandit
May 25th, 2012, 04:37 AM
I work for Intel and ......

I normally a AMD loyalist, but Intel has really stepped up these past couple of years in performance while at the same time slowly coming down to reasonable pricing. They did mention that there would be 6 core IB i7s in the future, but do you know of any rumors running around for when that will be?

Thanks,
Joe

Evil-Ernie
May 25th, 2012, 10:26 AM
TBH I work for Intel so biased but they are the forerunners at the moment, everybody else is in catchup. I am only loyal to whatever my needs are, I also have AMD and VIA systems running at home!

We have a Tick-Tock development cycle which means that a 'Tick' is a dieshrink of a 'Tock' microarchitecture. So as Ivy Bridge is a 'Tick' its is a dieshrink of Sandy Bridge microarchitecture.

To answer your question as there is a Sandy Bridge i7 with 6 cores logic dictates that this will be die shrunk into Ivy Bridge, off the top of my head I don't know the release date or the SKU it will be.

Bandit
May 25th, 2012, 03:24 PM
If it's any consolation you will be getting 8 threads with your 4 cores.
Yea, this really helps boost performance.

To answer your question as there is a Sandy Bridge i7 with 6 cores logic dictates that this will be die shrunk into Ivy Bridge, off the top of my head I don't know the release date or the SKU it will be.
I was actually surprised that this tick had such a performance boost. From every benchmark I have looked up on the internet the (3rd gen) i7 3770 (quad core) performs on par with much higher priced (2nd gen) i7 6 core chips. I am hoping to build up my system by the end of next month, just dont want to spend the cash on a quad core and 3 weeks later a 6 core hit the market :D
Guess the best way to look at it is that anything I get will be faster then my aging Phenom (1) 9850 I am running.

Thanks,
Joe