PDA

View Full Version : The Walking dead..

rk0r
May 23rd, 2012, 09:12 PM
So who is here following The Walking Dead Tv show ?

I would have to say that the zombies are pretty impressive and in some instances better than some movies albeit the story does seem a bit far fetched.

In a real world of the dead coming back alive, i would have to board a ship and keep it off shore ( a luxury cruse liner / war ship ?) and then if i needed something just jump in a speed boat to the land. - This scenario would be for survival.

However if i were to take on the world zombie assault .. i.e. eliminate every zombie on the planet i am not sure how i would go about it .. any ideas ?

Just realised that this post is slightly crazy... but i do like zombies.
(mods can we have a zombie smiles please? )

KiwiNZ
May 23rd, 2012, 09:15 PM
Watched it once for a short time, It was puerile and boring.

|{urse
May 23rd, 2012, 09:18 PM
Anything that does not require ammo or gas or batteries.

My zombie apocalypse kit would include (among other things) a 10-speed bicycle a very sharp katana and one of those crank powered flashlight/radio combos.

Erik1984
May 23rd, 2012, 09:20 PM
Seeds and lawn mowers will do :p http://www.popcap.com/games/plants-vs-zombies/online

eriktheblu
May 23rd, 2012, 10:23 PM
In a real world of the dead coming back alive, i would have to board a ship and keep it off shore ( a luxury cruse liner / war ship ?) and then if i needed something just jump in a speed boat to the land.Do you have such a ship now? Chances are, if you don't, you won't be able to get one during the zombocalypse.

rk0r
May 23rd, 2012, 10:29 PM
Do you have such a ship now? Chances are, if you don't, you won't be able to get one during the zombocalypse.

Good point.. trying to get to a ship would mean going through some sort of city / town and that would mean lots of zombies..

Another idea is to escape to a rural place in the mountains with uneven terrain so that if there was some sort of air assault with biological nuclear weapons at least the terrain will prevent some of the effect. - What’s your take if such an event occurred?

|{urse
May 23rd, 2012, 10:38 PM
You could really 'what-if' that scenario until blue in the face. My take on it is, where there are ships there are harbors, where there are harbors there are ports and thus cities.

So far as heading to the hills, with humans no longer the apex predator you may find survival there even more horrendous.

All in all I'd advise just not being a part of this zombie apocalypse thing.

eriktheblu
May 23rd, 2012, 10:45 PM
Good point.. trying to get to a ship would mean going through some sort of city / town and that would mean lots of zombies.. Not to mention the ship's owners, and everyone else else who had the same idea but easier access.

The only ships with survivors will be at sea prior to Z day. If we are looking at the traditional pathogen based zombies, most of the ships put out at Z+1 will be staffed by Zack.

Another idea is to escape to a rural place in the mountains with uneven terrain so that if there was some sort of air assault with biological nuclear weapons at least the terrain will prevent some of the effect. - What’s your take if such an event occurred?The key to civilians surviving ABC/NBC/CBRN/etc. is distance and favorable wind (the logistics for other methods are beyond most individuals). Uneven terrain inhibits your ability to create distance.

szymon_g
May 23rd, 2012, 11:06 PM
That absolutely makes no sense:
how, in the country with so many guns/riffles, slow and stupid zombies could exist? not to mention the whole pathogen-caused stupid idea etc.

rk0r
May 23rd, 2012, 11:30 PM
how, in the country with so many guns/riffles, slow and stupid zombies could exist? not to mention the whole pathogen-caused stupid idea etc.

The human population is rather high.. when there is too many of them guns become useless.

Now if there was the rage zombies that can run etc.. things would be a little bit different.
i.e the movie 28 days later.

rk0r
May 23rd, 2012, 11:36 PM
Not to mention the ship's owners, and everyone else else who had the same idea but easier access.

The only ships with survivors will be at sea prior to Z day. If we are looking at the traditional pathogen based zombies, most of the ships put out at Z+1 will be staffed by Zack.

The key to civilians surviving ABC/NBC/CBRN/etc. is distance and favorable wind (the logistics for other methods are beyond most individuals). Uneven terrain inhibits your ability to create distance.

Moving to the mountains would resolve the issue with clean water, the winds from the fallout may be difficult to get over the ground.. however depending on what attack there was there maybe a chance of acid rain / contamination ? - Chernobyl affected parts of the world with the acid rain.

Bandit
May 23rd, 2012, 11:59 PM

This.. LOL so true..

They might make it in LA for a short bit, pretty much be thinned out by the time they made it to Texas, if any managed to make it to the mighty Mississippi river they would be cannon fodder trying to cross the bridge.

chris200x9
May 23rd, 2012, 11:59 PM
Loved the show for the first season the second season got VERY boring and drawn out, plus everybody started really annoying me by whining all the time. Picked up reading the comic and read them all up to date in about 3 days, I LOVE THE COMIC! So ditch the stupid TV show, it is truly really stupid.

edit: also here is my zombie apocalypse scenario

1. see the world is going to ****
2. gather enough young strong people (family/freinds)
3. max out credit cards, all available credit buying supplies (katana, bike, laptop, a bunch of storage, guns, solar panels, desalination kit, fencing, wood, seeds, gardening supplies, gps, etc.)
4. Torrent as much media as I can before stuff gets too bad. And find a locations of small islands online (prolly private islands)
5. Things are getting bad, go to marina and comedere a small boat.
6. travel with my posse to said island, arrange to help any inhabitants. If no inhabitants clear out zombies.
7. spend rest of like farming, working on getting power, building fences, building shelter, etc. And if we do manage power we have terrabytes of media on harddrives.

problem?

eriktheblu
May 24th, 2012, 12:30 AM
The speed of the zombies was not specified.

Firearms ownership is limited to about 40% of U.S. households. About .05% of the adults are eligible to carry weapons, and I suspect fewer than that do on a regular basis.

A significant portion (guessing here, no numbers) of those rifles are configured for hunting. Hunting has very limited ammunition requirements (a few rounds a year) so adequate stocks for the purposes of the mobile deceased are also unlikely.

Urban areas where outbreaks will be more severe are likely to have less private ownership, and greater restrictions on ownership. Built up areas will also reduce the effective employment of firearms.

Densely crowded areas also impose extra restrictions on weapons. I suspect major outbreaks would first appear at hospitals, airports, or sporting events.

If previous disasters are any indication, authorities may confiscate privately owned weapons during this emergency.

Moving to the mountains would resolve the issue with clean water, the winds from the fallout may be difficult to get over the ground.. however depending on what attack there was there maybe a chance of acid rain / contamination ? - Chernobyl affected parts of the world with the acid rain.
There is no clean water. Giardia is just about everywhere.

Acid rain is a very minor concern when you face sovereign nuclear exchanges. In most cases, the bomb will kill you, or ignore you outright.

If you're in the blast zone, you'd better be in a bunker. If you survive the blast, move upwind or perpendicular to the wind to avoid radiation.

For biological, if we are talking pathogens, insect repellent and hygiene are your tools after you egress the attack area.

Chemical: get fresh air if you survive. Wash with warm water and soap.

All of the above: the immediate attack area will be the main source of death. The downwind hazard is easy to escape with a motor vehicle and unrestricted terrain. Mountains and trees may make leaving the hazard area more difficult.

Mountains can be good in that they are not typical high value targets. There are exceptions, but there is also plenty of grassland and dessert except from this value.

I think this will be less confusing if we just stick to zombies.

Frogs Hair
May 24th, 2012, 12:40 AM
Death to zombies . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkhCAV3wmIU

|{urse
May 24th, 2012, 04:43 AM
Slice a zombie open with your lightsaber and hide in him.

Face-Ache
May 24th, 2012, 05:22 AM
Watched it once for a short time, It was puerile and boring.

I am so pleased it's not just me who feels this way, so many of my friends are going ga-ga over The Walking Dead.

I find that as i get older, i'm less and less able to suspend my disbelief - i'm getting far too logical in my old age. Like with the very first episode; he wakes up, whole hospital is empty, busts out to find the undead everywhere, and just seems to be totally at-ease with it all.

When he finally meets up with someone who isn't infected, he doesn't ask "Hey, what happened?". I mean, that'd be your first question right?

I think i watched a couple more episodes, and got to the one where he finds that his wife is alive, and that shes started a relationship with his Police force partner - at that point i thought, uh oh, this is going to be soap-opera dressed in adult-scifi-drama clothes :)

I lost all interest in it after that point.

Face-Ache
May 24th, 2012, 05:46 AM
...... always show reality of our country and life . so i love to watch this tv show.

Damn, where are you from? :D Australia? JUST KIDDING! We love Australians in New Zealand. No really :p

KiwiNZ
May 24th, 2012, 06:00 AM
I am so pleased it's not just me who feels this way, so many of my friends are going ga-ga over The Walking Dead.

I find that as i get older, i'm less and less able to suspend my disbelief - i'm getting far too logical in my old age. Like with the very first episode; he wakes up, whole hospital is empty, busts out to find the undead everywhere, and just seems to be totally at-ease with it all.

When he finally meets up with someone who isn't infected, he doesn't ask "Hey, what happened?". I mean, that'd be your first question right?

I think i watched a couple more episodes, and got to the one where he finds that his wife is alive, and that shes started a relationship with his Police force partner - at that point i thought, uh oh, this is going to be soap-opera dressed in adult-scifi-drama clothes :)

I lost all interest in it after that point.

The whole world has gone to heck in an hand bag and it's like....

Oh hello like to go for coffee?

Face-Ache
May 24th, 2012, 06:35 AM
I got exactly the same vibe from it. A few friends have suggested that's part of the shows mystique, that you don't find out what actually happened. You're supposed be content with the fact that it simply has happened, mmmm kay?

And there's zombies. And zombies are cool!

Seriously though, i don't want to rag on it too much - a lot of people love it, and at least it isn't your standard Reality TV tripe that blights our TV screens (Don't get me started on 'The GC').

rk0r
May 24th, 2012, 06:36 AM
The whole world has gone to heck in an hand bag and it's like....

Oh hello like to go for coffee?

What else is there to do ... i know i would still be drinking Tea / coffee :)
im guessing the forum will still be runing for sometime, all good!

jockyburns
May 24th, 2012, 05:40 PM
What else is there to do ... i know i would still be drinking Tea / coffee :)
im guessing the forum will still be running for sometime, all good!

Hmm, I wouldn't fancy posting on the forum if the world were overrun with zombies. They just might respond to a post and ask you where you are. :):)
(Would zombies be able to use IT equipment?) Hmmmmmmmm :lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

rk0r
May 24th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Hmm, I wouldn't fancy posting on the forum if the world were overrun with zombies. They just might respond to a post and ask you where you are. :):)
(Would zombies be able to use IT equipment?) Hmmmmmmmm :lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

Maybe evolution would enable the zombies to use IT equipment, if " bub" the intelligent zombie was anything to go by in the classic zombie film " day of the living dead" - i dont think they would be drinking tea or coffee though..
Maybe if the last of the humans could use them to their benefit.. farming etc.. waste disposal ?

Ji Ruo
May 26th, 2012, 02:36 AM
Yes, zombies can use IT equipment. I see them shuffling down every street, oblivious to all around them but staring intently at the screen of their smart phone. And in the case of one fellow the other day, his ipad.

LillyDragon
May 26th, 2012, 03:13 AM

My friend keeps saying the same thing, especially if the military got involved; couldn't agree more. :P Zombies wouldn't get the chance to spread across regions if tanks, copters, mounted turrets and foot soldiers were called to mow them all down. Then there's all the gun-toting citizens. xD At least Resident Evil kinda got it right with mutant parasites instead of viruses.

terrykiwi83
May 26th, 2012, 04:32 AM
Do any of us know if these zombies can swim? in The Day of the Dead and Land of the Dead they can, but I haven't seen any swimmers in the Walking Dead. If they couldn't swim then I to would use a big ship to escape!

Bloody awesome show though, looking forward to the next season :)

kyme
November 12th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Was paid enough just to walk like (Walkers) away distance to the cast. ^_^
Even it rashes a little bit but it was fun

mastablasta
November 12th, 2012, 01:21 PM
well since this one got resurrected liek zombies from the dead and since there is new season now...

Do any of us know if these zombies can swim? in The Day of the Dead and Land of the Dead they can, but I haven't seen any swimmers in the Walking Dead. If they couldn't swim then I to would use a big ship to escape!

a ship ? how would you get food? only fish? what about fresh watter?

i think the ideal place is a castle. somehting like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hochosterwitz_Castle

with multiple defence wall arround it, various choke points etc. if people have trouble getting in imagine zombies...

the first wall is way down arround fertile land - provides enough food for the small community. last wall encircles courtyard with again fertile land which gives some crop in case lower part is overrun and until you can retake it back. it also has fresh watter from the well.

ok i am sure there are other maybe even better castles, better equipped for the long siege.

in any case oldstyle chain armor and armor will come in handy as would old style weapons (i.e. no need for ammo).

if this kind of thing is on a small island then even better. clean the island&defend it.

if zombies are slow then it's kind of silly to use bullets. unless you get overwhelmed by numbers. even then using cannon should to the trick. castles usually have large field view so you can smash them before they come close.