PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 64 bit upgrade to 12.04 froze when net dropped

o1hattrick
May 23rd, 2012, 05:31 PM
I was progressing fine through the upgrade.
it made it to Installing the upgrades.
I opened the terminal and ok'd the sevral prompts.
It was trying to download the mscorefonts-installer from sorceforge when my internet dropped for a while. This froze the upgrade.
I am still sitting at that point with the terminal open.
Is there any way i can continue or restart the upgrade?
It has sat here for a full day cause i had to leave a while so i know it won't restart itself.
thanks for any help you can give.

zvacet
May 23rd, 2012, 05:58 PM
Try with

sudo apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer

If I remember correctly you have to agree with the license.

o1hattrick
May 23rd, 2012, 06:18 PM
It woundn't run from the installer terminal so i opened up terminal and tried and got this result.

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

prolly cause the upgrade has it locked?

jadtech
May 23rd, 2012, 06:35 PM
It woundn't run from the installer terminal so i opened up terminal and tried and got this result.

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

prolly cause the upgrade has it locked?
try closing the install window :) it will continue to run untill you close that terminal..

then try this in a new terminal if you net connection is again working

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade -f

upgrade -f will will build dependancy list and finish installing any lost package the install should continue from there

if not

sudo apt-get install -f

configure -a

install -f again builds a priority or dependency list so packages open in order they are needed there are some package that are required to open to be able toi install another

sometimes usually works sometime not

o1hattrick
May 23rd, 2012, 07:00 PM
thanks for your help!
I ran the first in terminal and it ran a while and then gave.

Get:74 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com precise-backports/universe Translation-en [1,619 B]
Fetched 19.3 MB in 4min 26s (72.5 kB/s)

like before.
I haven't tried the other yet beacuse i figure this might be a seperate issue.

thanks again of any help you can give.

jadtech
May 23rd, 2012, 07:10 PM
well see if you can get the upgrade -f to go that may well work really want to avoid a reboot at this point if you can ..

worse comes to worse try a log out and log back in if the error keeps persisting how ever I can not promise you will be able to get back in the desk top once you log out even if all goes bad and you are forced to reboot if you cant get to a terminal to use these comands try recovery mode it should turn things back or at least far enough back to hopefully get you booted up to get in terminal..

beyond that you might want to find another computer and burn a install disk or make a boolable usb if you dont have one and start rescuing files and do a clean install ..

o1hattrick
May 23rd, 2012, 07:19 PM
I tried the
sudo apt-get upgrade -f
It gave same locked error.
I am already dl'ing a new iso on other computer so will prolly go for the clean install after i backup everything that i dont have backed up.

Is there any way to completely backup firefox?
As in open tabs and settings etc?
I have tried febe but it always crashes and runs for days.

zvacet
May 24th, 2012, 12:08 AM
Go to your home folder and that press ctrl+h and you will see hidden folders.One of them is mozilla and in that folder should be your settings.

o1hattrick
May 24th, 2012, 01:33 AM
Thanks! I will have to do that from the live cd i think because i can't seem to open any folders now.
I will try a re- boot to see if anything comes up.
If not i will backup mozilla from live cd if i can.