PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do i get back 'smart' thunderbird icon?

robwilkens
May 23rd, 2012, 04:22 PM
The thunderbird icon in unity used to be smart. That is, it told me how many unread new messages were there across all my accounts. Then i ran into an issue (weeks ago) where thunderbird was failing continuously, so out of ideas, i uninstalled it then reinstalled it, and, eventually with more troubleshooting the crashing problem went away. But ever since i uninstalled and reinstalled it, the icon on the unity launcher never again showed me how many new unread messages have come in (no number ever displays).

Is there a magic trick to make this work again?

I don't get to ubuntu forums too often, but i'll try to remember to check back here for a day or so to look for answers if anyone has suggestions.

This is ubuntu 12.04 for the record.

Newbunto
July 6th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Good question.

I don't think Thunderbird ever behaved like that for me i.e. on Ubuntu 11.10 or 12.04 across a range of recently released versions of Thunderbird.

Is it possible that you had some kind of Thunderbird plugin installed that gave that behaviour and the plugin was lost or disabled across the reinstall of Thunderbird?

marlow59
August 13th, 2012, 11:56 PM
Same here, I am using Thunderbird since Karmic Koala until 12.04 and I never had that, so it's bound to be something related to a no longer supported add on .

Frogs Hair
August 14th, 2012, 12:03 AM
Thunderbird is now only community supported so I don't know what the future holds. http://maffulli.net/2012/07/06/mozilla-foundation-drops-thunderbird/

teseglet
August 14th, 2012, 01:17 AM
I can't help with the problem but can confirm that my DVD install of 12.04 has the Thunderbird icon in the panel list # of new messages once Thunderbird is open.

mister_p_1998
August 15th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Its not growl is it?