PDA

View Full Version : how to complete installing matlab and run it.

lorap
March 14th, 2005, 08:18 AM
when you begin installing matlab and get some errors saying "access denied" don't pay attention,just go ahead.
after you've matlab installed you probably go to the .../.../matlab7/bin/nlx86
directory and try to run executable called MATLAB.don't do it!
you should firstly go,right after installation,to the directory .../.../matlab7
and run a script "install_matlab".after you run it you would be able to run matlab this way:go to the .../.../matlab7/bin/scripts/matlab(it's a script you'd run)
and run it!
have a nice day friends!
pavel

Behel
May 20th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Just for completeness to our friend Pavel (thank you for the great tips by the way!)

During my installation of Matlab coming with 3 CDs on Ubuntu Hoary (not Warty as this thread is in), I had two difficulties.

First was simply to run the the install script on the first CD. I couldn't run the script with a simple sudo... I don't know why... So I unlocked the Root account:

1. sudo passwd root then enter your user password and then a root password (that you need to remember!).
2. Then switch to root via su and enter your root password.
3. Finally I run the install script on the 1st CD: sh /cdrom/install* &

My second difficulty came when I had to change CDs during the installation. I didn't manage to eject the CD either from the terminal or the GUI so I used the brute force that everybody knows. But when I put the second CD, I had problems for unmounting the first one and mounting the second one. So I copied all the files of the CDs to my desktop and when asked by the Matlab installer to change, I indicated not the cdrom but the created folders.

This way I manage to install successfully Matlab on Ubuntu and it runs quite smoothly on my old laptop! And I can also say cheerfully, bye bye Windows!

Dolboeb
June 24th, 2005, 07:13 AM
Thanks a lot guys! That really helped me; I spent a lot of time trying to figure out first why Matlab didn't work at all, and then why it couldn't find a single library... Now it works, at least partially.

However, when I try to open any new window, for example, File->Preferences, or File->New->M-file, it gives the following:

java.lang.InternalError: Current locale is not supported
at sun.awt.motif.MWindowPeer.pSetTitle(Native Method)
at sun.awt.motif.MWindowPeer.init(Unknown Source)
at sun.awt.motif.MFramePeer.<init>(Unknown Source)
at sun.awt.motif.MToolkit.createFrame(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Frame.addNotify(Unknown Source)
at com.mathworks.mwswing.MJFrame.addNotify(MJFrame.ja va:861)

I tried a workaround 1-184MH (http://www.mathworks.com/support/solutions/data/1-184MH.html?solution=1-184MH) but it didn't help. Any ideas what may be wrong?...

Dolboeb
June 25th, 2005, 03:17 AM
I've solved the problem with the help of Matlab techsupport. They suggested I change LANG variable from whatever I had (en_SG.UTF- 8) to en. Now all GUI in Matlab works fine.

Girondin
August 1st, 2006, 08:11 AM
Hi I have the same problem with java stuff and matlab...
How did you fix it?
I work presently with Edgy Eft and Matlab does not want to work sincy my upgrade...

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.InternalError: Current locale is not supported
at sun.awt.motif.MWindowPeer.pSetTitle(Native Method)
at sun.awt.motif.MWindowPeer.init(Unknown Source)
at sun.awt.motif.MFramePeer.<init>(Unknown Source)
at sun.awt.motif.MToolkit.createFrame(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Frame.addNotify(Unknown Source)
at com.mathworks.mwswing.MJFrame.addNotify(MJFrame.ja va:861)
at com.mathworks.mwswing.desk.DTFrame.addNotify(DTFra me.java:145)
at com.mathworks.hg.peer.FigureFrameProxy$FigureFrame .addNotify(FigureFrameProxy.java:72)
at java.awt.Window.show(Unknown Source)
at com.mathworks.mwswing.MJFrame.show(MJFrame.java:71 3)
at java.awt.Component.show(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.setVisible(Unknown Source)
at com.mathworks.mwswing.MJFrame.setVisible(MJFrame.j ava:740)
at com.mathworks.mwswing.desk.DTSingleClientFrame.set Visible(DTSingleClientFrame.java:304)
at com.mathworks.hg.peer.FigureFrameProxy$FigureFrame .setVisible(FigureFrameProxy.java:52)
at com.mathworks.hg.peer.FigureFrameProxy.setVisible( FigureFrameProxy.java:152)
at com.mathworks.hg.peer.FigurePeer.nonDockedShow(Fig urePeer.java:2522)
at com.mathworks.hg.peer.FigurePeer.show(FigurePeer.j ava:2539)
at com.mathworks.hg.peer.FigurePeer.doSetFigureVisibl e(FigurePeer.java:3373)
at com.mathworks.hg.peer.FigurePeer$26.run(FigurePeer .java:2581)
at com.mathworks.hg.util.HGPeerQueue$HGPeerRunnablesR unner.runit(HGPeerQueue.java:244)
at com.mathworks.hg.util.HGPeerQueue$HGPeerRunnablesR unner.runThese(HGPeerQueue.java:277)
at com.mathworks.hg.util.HGPeerQueue$HGPeerRunnablesR unner.run(HGPeerQueue.java:318)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierar chy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarch y(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

I cannot find the solution to fix it... Please help me... #-o

Theja
August 19th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Yo dude the answer to your prob and my prb is just losted above. Sorry for the PM I sent you.
Just do this:
$locale
and if its not en_US.utf8 then change it like this:

export LANG=en_US.UTF-8

Add this line to .bashrc too....and enjoy Matlab..:)

Theja

andiii
August 25th, 2006, 04:34 AM
I got Matlab installed and running. However, it requires a Terminal to start.

If I create a launcher with the command Matlab in the Gnome-menu I just see the splash-screen and then nothing.. If I tick "run in terminal" it works fine, but I don't want a terminal window that is just there for matlab.

Is it because of Java?

lastlandstalker
August 25th, 2006, 01:05 PM
try matlab -desktop.
Have fun, Andrew

sbrinkmann
November 14th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Have Matlab a special Linux Version?

I have the 3 Matlabs CD's but i can't find a linux installer....

Tanazzo
March 24th, 2007, 10:42 PM
I have a problem with Matlab 7 on Ubuntu Edgy Eft 6.10...I have installed it correctly without problems!
But the GUI doesn't work at all (It loads only the spash screen and an empty window)...and I've installed Java on my system...
While, if I type
matlab -nojwm on terminal, it works finely on the command-line...
Could you help me,please?
So I cannot use Simulink...

lazcisco
September 15th, 2007, 08:56 PM
I extracted an iso into my "me" folder (where I keep general documents) , but when I go into the folder and ./install, it always tells me my Permission is Denied. I did the su command and typed my password, but it still tells me that, what am I doing wrong?

JibberFisch
September 16th, 2007, 10:19 PM
So I have a peculiar problem. I got Matlab totally installed (student version), and it runs from the command line (which is a bit inconvenient, but to be played with later). When it runs, I get two lines of errors (below), then it runs as normal, with splash screen, then the command window, etc. The main window doesn't show menus, but they do exist when you can guess where to click on them. When I open Editor, the screen is completely blank, but like the main window, the menus are still openable.

/usr/share/themes/Human/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:71: Engine "ubuntulooks" is unsupported, ignoring
/usr/share/themes/Human/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:241: Priority specification is unsupported, ignoring

If you have any ideas on how to fix this, I haven't been able to find anything online to help me with it.

Running it on a Gateway CX2610 tablet, if it's any help.
Thanks,
Will

J77
September 17th, 2007, 10:38 AM
The instructions in the installation manual, which is on the matlab DVD, work fine if you follow them step-by-step.

No "tricks or hacks" are needed.

mottalli
September 17th, 2007, 07:20 PM
In order to have a MATLAB icon on your applications menu, you must create the file /usr/share/applications/matlab.desktop with the following contents (change the path if needed):

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Matlab
Comment=Matlab
Exec=/usr/local/bin/matlab -desktop
Icon=/opt/matlab7/X11/icons/matlab48c_icon.xpm
Terminal=false
MultipleArgs=false
Type=Application
Categories=Application;Development;
StartupNotify=true

frenchcr
September 17th, 2007, 07:40 PM
The instructions in the installation manual, which is on the matlab DVD, work fine if you follow them step-by-step.

No "tricks or hacks" are needed.

rubbish! i have followed them i am still unable to install it.

./install ...access denied .....same problem as lazcisco post above!

J77
September 18th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Have Matlab a special Linux Version?

I have the 3 Matlabs CD's but i can't find a linux installer....Yes -- one DVD has the windows stuff, the other the mac and linux stuff.

J77
September 18th, 2007, 08:42 AM
rubbish! i have followed them i am still unable to install it.

./install ...access denied .....same problem as lazcisco post above!Did you mount the disc as a DVD, not a CD -- I had to create a separate mount point a DVD, over my default CD ones.

sudo mkdir /media/dvd
sudo mount -t iso9660 /dev/dvd /media/dvd
/media/dvd/install &

...then do all the license and link stuff like it says in the pdf manual.

And, it's hardly rubbish as I updated my version with no worries just the other day :D

HgBoy
September 21st, 2007, 02:01 AM
I have matlab installed, but I don't have any idea how to start the program... Preferably with a gui, but terminal will work too for now. is there just a command to type into the terminal?

spectatorion
October 7th, 2007, 05:31 PM
JibberFisch: I also have the peculiar problem that Matlab runs fine, although I cannot see the menus or toolbars. The editor window comes up blank, too. I was using the desktop effects. When I turned off the effects, the windows came up fine. It is not a great solution, since I really like the wobbly windows and spinning cube transition, but it works for now.

Have you made any progress toward getting Matlab to work fully with the desktop effects enabled?

spectatorion
October 7th, 2007, 06:49 PM
quick update: if i turn off desktop effects, then open matlab, then turn back on the desktop effects, i can still see all the matlab buttons and menus. any new windows i open, however (like an m-file editor or an help window) come up blank.

if i turn of desktop effects, then open matlab and an m-file editor, then turn desktop effects back on, the window is not blank and all the buttons are visible. this messes up my virtual desktops, however, due to a bug in compiz (or ubuntu's implementation, anyway).

hardly ideal, but workable.

MaximusTG
October 7th, 2007, 07:58 PM
If you follow my instructions in post #3 in this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=467133

You'll have GUI even with desktop effects on.

On Gutsy (and maybe Feisty with latest Compiz Fusion?) there's an option in compizconfigsettingsmanager in workarounds called "java window fix" Don't have matlab installed on Gutsy yet, so don't know if that works. But I suspect it will :)

spectatorion
October 9th, 2007, 03:58 AM
maximus, thanks for the great tip! i'm getting a couple font warnings in the terminal, but everything seems to be working just fine. fantastic. so glad i don't have to boot into windows anymore for serious matlab work.

now if i could only get a nice R Gui to work...

tikey
October 27th, 2007, 05:37 PM
thanks for the hint maximus.

I had the problem that when I started Matlab after upgrading to Gutsy the splash screen would show up but nothing else happened. I thought it's a java problem and tried everything I could think of to fix my java. After I read your post I just installed compiz-kde, started it and...
...Matlab just works!

phen
November 28th, 2007, 08:17 PM
hello all,

did anybody here try to work with simulink on the newer ubuntu versions?

When I try to launch simulink, matlab crashes and complains about missing libXft.so.1

after google, i tried to link libXft.so.1 to libXft.so.2, as supposed to work for intel fortran compiler. but it doesnt help with matlab, except that the error message is now:

??? Can't load '/usr/local/matlab7/bin/glnx86/libmwsimulink.so': /usr/local/matlab7/bin/glnx86/libqt-mt.so.3: undefined symbol: XftFreeTypeOpen

I remember that with feisty the linking-trick worked.

I am trying to install Matlab R14

please help if you can, it will soon be very important to have matlab running :-(

thanks!

phen
November 28th, 2007, 09:11 PM
ok solved it.

find the howto here:
[Howto] make Simulink 6 run (Matlab Version 7.0.0.19901 (R14)) (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3855871#post3855871)

archon123
September 28th, 2008, 06:15 PM
I installed matlab and ran the post installation and everything appeared to be fine.

But when I try to run matlab from the command line I get this message:

"No MATLAB executable for this machine architechture

usr/lib/matlab7/glnx86/matlab does not exist"

I'm not sure why this is occurring or how to fix it. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks