PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] 32bit LiveCD on 64bit machine

fantab
May 23rd, 2012, 04:12 AM
I have encountered a strange (?) issue while trying to install a 32bit 12.04 on a 64bit machine.

I have another PC with only 1gb RAM and Pentium D 64bit Processor. I have always installed a 32bit version of BUNTU on it considering the relatively low RAM. However, I could not install 32bit 12.04 BUNTU (neither Ubuntu nor Kubuntu) on it. I tried almost every workaround there is, like "nomodeset", i915.modeset=1, pci=noacpi etc... I even tried LinuxMint-13_Maya-32bit-Cinnamon-RC with no effect.

The culprit always was the X server... the system reported that:

"Failed to start X server(your graphical interface). It is likely that it is not set up correctly. Would you like to view the X server output to diagnose the problem?"

... on examining the /var/log/Xorg.0.log there were no errors/EE but a few warnings/WW:

[WW] /usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic : does not exist
[WW] /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi : does not exist
[WW] /var/lib/deforma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType : does not exist
Also,
[WW] Falling back to old probe method for vesa
[WW] Falling back to old probe method for fbdev

etc/X11/xorg.conf is not configured correctly; restart Display Manager after you have configured xorg.conf. And the same goes for
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d

Screens found but no usable configurations (or something like that)

Segmentation Fault at address 0x116

Then I tried installing Ubuntu-64bit 12.04 with a LiveCD (which I have already installed on my other desktop) and the LiveCD worked fine and I was able to install the 64bit Ubuntu without any issue. The installation ran like a knife through cheese.

I need to understand why I could not run 32bit LiveCD nor install 32bit BUNTU on a 64bit machine.

Can someone here please explain it to me? Is it a bug or does it have something to with PAE Kernel? Because AFAIK we can install 32bit BUNTU on a 64bit Desktop, after all Ubuntu "recommends" it as a safe bet.

Thanks.

jadtech
May 23rd, 2012, 05:10 AM
have you tryed to boot that on another computer could be a bad burn ???

i have seen people through here more then a few who load the 32bit recomend on there 64bit processor no problem ..

mastablasta
May 23rd, 2012, 06:47 AM
[WW] /usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic : does not exist
[WW] /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi : does not exist
[WW] /var/lib/deforma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType : does not exist
Also,

do you use cyrilic keyboard? have you tried with DVD then?

fantab
May 23rd, 2012, 07:08 AM
have you tryed to boot that on another computer could be a bad burn ???
i have seen people through here more then a few who load the 32bit recomend on there 64bit processor no problem ..

do you use cyrilic keyboard? have you tried with DVD then?

It is definitely not a bad burn. And this did not happen with any previous version of any BUNTU.

No. I don't use a cyrillic Keyboard. It normal US. And NO, I did not try it with DVD.

Also, there is no Xorg.conf file anymore in BUNTU, so...

By the way the desktop in question has onboard Intel GMA950.

mastablasta
May 23rd, 2012, 10:07 AM
ah. strange then that vesa fallback is not working.

950 has poor 3d acceleration. could that be the issue, sicne unity uses 3D?
does 10.04 work? what about xubuntu?

fantab
May 23rd, 2012, 05:31 PM
I have tried Ubuntu 12.04 _32bit, Kubuntu 12.04_32bit and LinuxMint Maya RC_32bit. Yes, all the previous versions of BUNTU work.

I understand that there are issues with 950GMA but how come 64bit gets installed with the same graphics... off course the Monitor Resolution does not work and I had to force it with xrandr.

roelforg
May 23rd, 2012, 05:43 PM
I have tried Ubuntu 12.04 _32bit, Kubuntu 12.04_32bit and LinuxMint Maya RC_32bit. Yes, all the previous versions of BUNTU work.

I understand that there are issues with 950GMA but how come 64bit gets installed with the same graphics... off course the Monitor Resolution does not work and I had to force it with xrandr.

Try another 64bit machine, maybe it's a problem with the ubuntu 12.04+your hw setup combi?

fantab
May 23rd, 2012, 05:58 PM
Try another 64bit machine, maybe it's a problem with the ubuntu 12.04+your hw setup combi?

It works on another 64bit machine, which I tried after creating this thread. I know there is an issue with my hw, I am trying to figure out what.

I tried Knoppix_DVD and it works on the affected machine...