PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What is the purpose of the Minimize button on the Unity Dash?

HunterDX77M
May 22nd, 2012, 11:39 PM
When you press the super key to get the Unity dash, you'll notice three buttons in the upper left hand corner: the standard close, minimize and maximize buttons.

The close button closes the dash, the maximize button makes the dash take up the entire screen, but what does the minimize button do? I tried clicking it multiple times, but nothing happened (other than the button getting brighter). Maybe it's a bug.

If you've got two seconds, open up the dash and repeatedly click the minimize button and let me know. Thanks!

fragos
May 23rd, 2012, 02:26 AM
Consider a menu with a grayed out item which means not applicable. You'll notice that the minimize button doesn't indicate that you're hovering -- another sign of not applicable. The window buttons in the Dash are a little inconsistent with lets the buttons functions when maximized.

zombifier25
May 23rd, 2012, 04:26 AM
The Ubuntu devs want the Dash to look consistent with the rest of the desktop. Also, it may help new users who are finding the location of the windows control buttons of maximized apps.

jadtech
May 23rd, 2012, 05:31 AM
the min button has no need to work clicking the icon minimizes and maximizes the window ..

other windows will not minimize using the icon they only maximize using it since the windows and control bar vanish when they are minimized ..

the dash and work space switcher is the only icons that can not be removed from the launcher as well notice these are the only two Icons with the same properties

jadtech
May 23rd, 2012, 05:38 AM
The Ubuntu devs want the Dash to look consistent with the rest of the desktop. Also, it may help new users who are finding the location of the windows control buttons of maximized apps.

the dash will toggle to full screen minimize is just the Icon

goaliedude3919
May 23rd, 2012, 05:47 AM
It's probably just to make things look more uniform and consistent.

HunterDX77M
May 23rd, 2012, 02:36 PM
Alright, guys. Thanks. I can't blame them for having an eye for aesthetics.