PDA

View Full Version : Am I Evil Now?

Majorix
May 22nd, 2012, 05:36 PM
OK, I am a fairly long time Linux and *BSD user. Just love the UNIX philosophy, and I happily pass time doing things on UNIX systems, if not completely "sysadmining" yet.

Anyways, I recently got a job at a young company. We strive to hit a respectable position in E-Commerce and similar technologies.

You might say, "oh lucky". No I am not. Because (even though I had written stuff about UNIX in my CV) I am assigned to the job of a Windows programmer, doing stuff with ASP.NET and C# on Visual Studio.

Most of the other guys use Macs, and since I can't afford one I am sitting on a low-end Windows machine. I am sure it will well be able to run Linux or BSD, but I haven't tried anything yet.

I must say, though, since this job brings me money (everything love and health can't get me) and I feel if I keep this way and become a senior .NET developer or something I might get some good salaries.

And this is where the thread title comes into play: Am I evil now?

What can I do to break this? Should I maybe ask my boss (since lotsa people use Macs anyways) if I could run my UNIX box at the work, or even maybe install UNIX on the notebook they gave me side-by-side with the Windows 7 I had installed? I had left over 200GB's unassigned, dreaming of this. VS is outta this world and if I could maybe at least get close to the comfort of working on VS. Is Java and JSP as easy and as user-friendly as VS? Maybe using NetBeans or Eclipse? I also keep hearing lots about Rails (I LOVE Ruby, and I am looking at this option as a dream-come-true) , Grails (the guys in my team use this), Django and so on... Which would be the best? Just 3 things:

1. It must be easy and user-friendly. I am just beginning, duh.
2. It must run on all my boxes: Win7, Debian, Arch, FreeBSD currently.
3. And it should be something big to impress my boss so he would let me pick up on it.

Since I am a junior developer, still studying CS at the college and just beginning .NET anyways, I believe I can be easily converted. Have a go :)

PS: Sorry for the long post :(

QIII
May 22nd, 2012, 05:47 PM
If you are evil then I am the very Devil incarnate. I make an obscene amount of money with .NET.

Don't get too carried away with trying to impress your boss with UNIX/Linux. Impress him with your work ethic and progress first. Gain your employer's respect and then see what else you can do.

user1397
May 22nd, 2012, 05:57 PM
No.

forrestcupp
May 22nd, 2012, 06:06 PM
Yes, you are evil. You should repent of your closed sins and quit your job. :guitar:

Seriously, man. If using a certain OS is evil, then 97% of the world is on their way to the bad place. You use Linux or Unix when it is appropriate, and you use Windows when that is necessary. OSs are tools, not gods.

wilee-nilee
May 22nd, 2012, 06:23 PM
Pure evil, welcome to the club. :)

Do what you have to do, to keep the job, if that keeps you happy.

mips
May 22nd, 2012, 06:27 PM
Satans spawn, that's what you are!

Majorix
May 22nd, 2012, 06:31 PM
Haha thanks for the funny replies guys. This is what I like about the Linux community :)

Gremlinzzz
May 22nd, 2012, 07:41 PM

KiwiNZ
May 22nd, 2012, 08:23 PM
Are you evil if you drive a Ford?
Are you evil if you use a Black and Decker?
Are you evil if you use Braun?

No, they are tools nothing more nothing less.

Actually you maybe evil if you drive a Ford :P

KiwiNZ
May 22nd, 2012, 08:31 PM
I meant to add in my previous post, you are not evil , why? There Is room for only one
Truly evil person on these Forums.:P;)

IWantFroyo
May 22nd, 2012, 08:38 PM
i meant to add in my previous post, you are not evil , why? There is room for only one
truly evil person on these forums.:p;)

:o

rai4shu2
May 22nd, 2012, 09:11 PM
Just as guns don't kill people, it isn't the Windows devs that kill good ideas. It's the PHBs (and the marketing guys who brainwash them) who are evil.

lykwydchykyn
May 22nd, 2012, 09:14 PM
Maybe the better question is, are you happy?

|{urse
May 22nd, 2012, 09:18 PM
I'd stick with what works for the moment. Later once your skill has garnered the trust of your superiors then ask for changes.

KiwiNZ
May 22nd, 2012, 09:24 PM
Just as guns don't kill people, it isn't the Windows devs that kill good ideas. It's the PHBs (and the marketing guys who brainwash them) who are evil.

No

rai4shu2
May 22nd, 2012, 11:20 PM
No

No? No what? No, guns do kill people? No, Windows devs don't kill good ideas? No, OP is really evil after all? No, don't tell people what evil really means?

KiwiNZ
May 22nd, 2012, 11:30 PM
No? No what? No, guns do kill people? No, Windows devs don't kill good ideas? No, OP is really evil after all? No, don't tell people what evil really means?

The last part of your statement

Herpythebrony
May 23rd, 2012, 01:37 AM
Good, good, feel the evilness flow through you :lolflag:

josephmills
May 23rd, 2012, 01:44 AM
OK, I am a fairly long time Linux and *BSD user. Just love the UNIX philosophy, and I happily pass time doing things on UNIX systems, if not completely "sysadmining" yet.

Anyways, I recently got a job at a young company. We strive to hit a respectable position in E-Commerce and similar technologies.

You might say, "oh lucky". No I am not. Because (even though I had written stuff about UNIX in my CV) I am assigned to the job of a Windows programmer, doing stuff with ASP.NET and C# on Visual Studio.

Most of the other guys use Macs, and since I can't afford one I am sitting on a low-end Windows machine. I am sure it will well be able to run Linux or BSD, but I haven't tried anything yet.

I must say, though, since this job brings me money (everything love and health can't get me) and I feel if I keep this way and become a senior .NET developer or something I might get some good salaries.

And this is where the thread title comes into play: Am I evil now?

Since I am a junior developer, still studying CS at the college and just beginning .NET anyways, I believe I can be easily converted. Have a go :)

(

I use Monodevelop
http://monodevelop.com/

If you are use to Visual Studio you will notice right away what to do. Only downside is that there is no "design viewer" But besides that works great. but then again I could be evil

layers
May 23rd, 2012, 04:37 AM
yeah, go in your room and say one hundred şifa Ubuntu's (hail Ubuntu's)

coldraven
May 23rd, 2012, 06:09 AM
Most sensible adults always say "Learn a trade" before you decide to branch out into the unknown, Whether it is hairdressing, welding or engineering if later on you want to try graphic design and it does not work out then you always can fall back to your trade to earn a crust.
So stick with the ,Net and complete your apprenticeship.
In your free time you can work towards your dream and one day you will have all the skills to make it reality.
Good luck

forrestcupp
May 23rd, 2012, 11:40 AM
Let me just make a point nobody has thought about yet. If your new job happens to be with some malicious hacker group, then maybe you are evil. ;)

phibxr
May 23rd, 2012, 02:34 PM
Let me just make a point nobody has thought about yet. If your new job happens to be with some malicious hacker group, then maybe you are evil. ;)

He could be infiltrating the group for the greater good of the Linux community.:popcorn:

As long as you earn money in a respectable way without breaking the law, or at least without bending it too much, I can't see how that'd be evil in any way, form or shape.