PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 2GB RAM with generec-pae kernel upon installation

Prescilla
May 22nd, 2012, 05:08 PM
Hello Linux nation!

I have just recently installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

After installation, I've checked what is my kernel version by typing uname -r from a terminal and it says 3.2.0-23-generic-pae.

What I don't understand is that I only have 2GB of RAM and I really don't need to use pae kernel or should I?

Does this mean that it is okay to use pae kernels with only 2GB of RAM.
I've read in a document that pae is only recommended for systems with at least 4GB of RAM.

How do I get back to a non-pae generic kernel???
Please help.

carl4926
May 22nd, 2012, 05:19 PM
pae is for 32 bit installs that have more than 3GB RAM
but 32 bit install default to pae
which is fine

grahammechanical
May 22nd, 2012, 05:55 PM
I only have 1GB RAM but it is with a 64bit CPU so I run 64bit Ubuntu (AMD64) which has the ability to use more than 4GB as standard.

I think that from 12.04 onwards we will not be able to download a version of Ubuntu that is 32bit non-pae. There is not one available.

If the article said this:

I've read in a document that pae is only recommended for systems with at least 4GB of RAM.

Then it is misleading. The article should say that it is recommended to install a pae kernel for systems with more than 4GB of RAM.

How is the OS working? Fine? Then what is your worry. Think of this, imagine that one day you decide to upgrade the RAM and you put more than 4GB in, well, you wont need to reinstall Ubuntu with a pae kernel. Which you would have to do if you had installed a non-pae kernel Ubuntu.

Regards.

Prescilla
May 22nd, 2012, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the quick response.

Well, my Ubuntu seems to be working fine. No trouble so far.
I'm still installing applications.

So, no worries then. Thank you again.