PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] closed source application for mpg , flash , ....

eslam elbyaly
May 22nd, 2012, 07:23 AM
hi folks ,
i was trying to install ubuntu and saw through one of the steps of the installation a page tells me that ubuntu uses a colsed-source application(program) for dealing with mpg , mpeg , flash files as i remember , and there are rights for using this colsed-source program , what i need to know is, what these rights are because i do not wanna violate it , thanks in advance

eslam elbyaly
May 22nd, 2012, 08:06 AM
any help , please

roelforg
May 22nd, 2012, 09:30 AM
It's not polite to bump so often.

But (IIRC) it has something to do with canonicals policy to not auto-install closed source stuff.
So say you install ffmpeg, it'll only support the basic oss formats.
To use stuff like mp* and flv you need to manually select libavcodec-53-extra, this makes it that you've, essentially, given it permission to install closed-source codecs.

jmore9
May 22nd, 2012, 11:03 AM
If you want to view or contribuate to all the different content that is out there then you have to install the bits and pieces that make them work.

Most disros do not include them because they are not " open source " like Ununtu and others are. The bites and pieces are still there for you to use but you have to agree to something or another to use them.

And in some countries it is illagal to use some bites and piecess ( codecs ) without buying them or renting them.

mastablasta
May 22nd, 2012, 11:13 AM
when you install them the terms of usage will appear which you are supposed to read and confirm if you agree with them.

e.g. mp3 is free for personal use but for commercial use you need to pay.