PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is it possible to go 10.10 --> 12.04 without changing interface and settings?

zander x
May 22nd, 2012, 03:17 AM
Is it possible to go 10.10 --> 12.04 without changing interface and settings?

I have another machine with 12.04 and I do not like the interface at all. My 10.10 settings are absolutely perfect. I think everything is laid out quite nicely and would like to retain the look and feel. New GNOME? Not impressed. I'm also not liking the fact that it seems like the user gets far less control over settings.

Thanks,
zx

darkod
May 22nd, 2012, 10:56 AM
At first moment, no.
But once the 12.04 is up and running, you can install Gnome Classic (package name is actually gnome-panel) that looks almost the same as the interface before Unity.
Also, depending what settings you have touched, not sure if you can get something broken during the upgrade if there is no equivalent in 12.04.

And since 10.10 is not an LTS, you can upgrade directly online. But with the 12.04 and internet connected, if you boot with the cd it should offer you upgrade directly to 12.04 using the cd + internet (not sure why it needs it but users have reported the upgrade option is there only if you are connected to the internet). So it's probably best to have wired connection to internet while doing that.

You don't want the wifi breaking and messing up your upgrade.