PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 12.04 on HP Pavilion dm1

stefan2140
May 21st, 2012, 11:11 PM
I bought a hp pavilion dm1. With the Windows Home Premium version, I bought with it, it works fine.

If I install Ubuntu I have some problems.... With earlier Ubuntu versions I had two problems... the wireless lan and the locking of keyboard and mouse... With 12.04 the wireless problem seels to have solved very nicely.

But the keyboard and mouse problem persists... I can work smoothly, just after some time... the keyboard and mouse blocks... And is not a complete system halt, processes and programs running keep running... just I loose control by keyboard and mouse... First question: does anyone has an idea why this is happening and what I can do about it?

Second question: I prefer to have only Ubuntu on my system. But as a matter of trial and error I'm prepared to have a dual boot installation... What windows partitions I have to leave intact and which can be given to a Ubuntu install?

jadtech
May 22nd, 2012, 01:14 AM
to have dual boot you can safly remove hptgools partition leave the rest shrink the volume on the windows drive take the space you gain from the removed partition make it the swap , use the unallocated space for /(root)

and a /home directory if you want one separate the root has to be 6 gb to 10 gb for expansion of the system the rest would go to/home the larger part for personal files and personal figuration I opted to shrink the windows partition 60 gb for root and home used..

if you havea big music libary you want to share between windows and ubuntu you could shirink the windows partition another 100gb or so parition it nstf and you will be able to share that parition between systems ..

though if your like me I got this HP installed ubuntu havent booted or used window since the frist day 600gb of wasted drive win 7 kis taking up ..