PDA

View Full Version : New Theme: Smileys

Technoviking
May 21st, 2012, 09:31 PM
One thing I have been working on is new smileys to match the new theme, and decided to create a poll to to see what people think. None of the new smileys are animated, just some created to blend in better, but it is more orange:).

This poll is for feedback only and is non-binding.

sffvba[e0rt
May 21st, 2012, 09:32 PM
I like the new smileys... yellow is so 2000...

codingman
May 21st, 2012, 09:35 PM
It goes really nice...

Agreed with not found, yellow is so old...

Lynceus
May 21st, 2012, 09:45 PM
I think they're nice too.
Maybe the eyes could be a tiny bit bigger?

Shadius
May 21st, 2012, 09:47 PM
Very nice smileys especially that orange is my favorite color! :guitar:

Dry Lips
May 21st, 2012, 09:48 PM
I do like the new smileys, on the other hand the good thing about the old ones is that there are so many of them... There are actually as many as 75 of them. :shock:

Technoviking
May 21st, 2012, 09:50 PM
I do like the new smileys, on the other hand the good thing about the old ones is that there are so many of them... There are actually as many as 75 of them. :shock:

Yeah right no I have only made 15.

T-V

forrestcupp
May 21st, 2012, 09:51 PM
Don't like them at all. The old ones are multi-colored and textured, and they look much better. The old smileys are pretty standard in a lot of forums, and it's easier to tell what they mean. Change for the sake of change is not always better.

codingman
May 21st, 2012, 09:56 PM
Well, it would be a good idea if you kept both, TV, and let users pick there type in the user CP, and well, maybe remove some of those old smileys, there are some really unused ones that aren't even in uniform with the other smileys, like these:

:confused: :rolleyes: :KS :biggrin: :frown: :redface: :tongue:
and, well, I don't think many people understand this one:
:-({|=

codingman
May 21st, 2012, 09:58 PM
One thing I have been working on is new smileys to match the new theme, and decided to create a poll to to see what people think. None of the new smileys are not animated, just some created to blend in better, but it is more orange:).

Um... did you say they were not animated, or they're all animated? If they are animated, can you show us the animated versions?

Lynceus
May 21st, 2012, 09:59 PM
Don't like them at all. The old ones are multi-colored and textured, and they look much better. The old smileys are pretty standard in a lot of forums, and it's easier to tell what they mean. Change for the sake of change is not always better.

I agree about "standard in a lot of forums, and easier to tell what they mean"

Maybe there should be an option to use them, just to see if the forum users like it.

Shadius
May 21st, 2012, 10:06 PM
Give the users a choice to use either smileys.

forrestcupp
May 21st, 2012, 10:13 PM
:confused: :rolleyes: :KS :biggrin: :frown: :redface: :tongue:
and, well, I don't think many people understand this one:

I've seen several of those you listed used quite a bit around here.

KiwiNZ
May 21st, 2012, 10:18 PM
we should get a whole bunch new smileys like this, just a hint, no pressure

Technoviking
May 21st, 2012, 10:24 PM

What Vader is Luke's dad!!! Thanks for spoiling the movie for me.

T-V

forrestcupp
May 21st, 2012, 10:41 PM

Nice use of Ubuntu Orange in your avatar, by the way. :)

jockyburns
May 21st, 2012, 10:45 PM
I think users should have the option of the old smileys and the new ones. And we want animation on both. :guitar:

Technoviking
May 21st, 2012, 10:48 PM
I think users should have the option of the old smileys and the new ones. And we want animation on both. :guitar:

I can keep both, but one will be default and with the common key bindings. Yeah no animation :).

T-V

KiwiNZ
May 21st, 2012, 10:49 PM
I have to add my vote of no for animations

papibe
May 21st, 2012, 10:59 PM
Hi all.

I think we need a change. The current smilies look pretty "dated".

However, my first reaction is the proposed smilies are a little bit too similar to each other, and you have to take a second look to understand what the actual smile is (surprised is very closed to 'crying' or sad?)

Just MHO.
Regards.

Linuxratty
May 22nd, 2012, 12:49 AM
I can keep both, but one will be default and with the common key bindings. Yeah no animation :).

T-V
I'd like both.

Bandit
May 22nd, 2012, 01:13 AM
One thing I have been working on is new smileys to match the new theme, and decided to create a poll to to see what people think. None of the new smileys are animated, just some created to blend in better, but it is more orange:).

I like the the new smiles. But getting a bit to much orange in the theme. And I like orange :)

CharlesA
May 22nd, 2012, 01:16 AM
I like the old ones. The new ones don't really look "right" imho.

lisati
May 22nd, 2012, 07:32 AM
+1 for both if possible.

I don't think many people understand this one:
It happens from time to time here in the forum, usually with words rather than pictures.... :D

phibxr
May 22nd, 2012, 07:43 AM

The new smilies are awesome. Having them in Empathy/Pidgin as well would be even better. :)

rk0r
May 22nd, 2012, 07:44 AM
How about deleting some of the old smilies and add some of the orange ones to the mix...?

The orange ones IMO are ok albeit plain.

Elfy
May 22nd, 2012, 07:56 AM

I'd have to agree.

s.fox
May 22nd, 2012, 09:24 AM

Agreed.

KiwiNZ
May 22nd, 2012, 09:48 AM
Can't say I am a fan of the new ones.

coffeecat
May 22nd, 2012, 10:46 AM
@Technoviking, although I quite like what you have been able to do with the designs of most of those you've posted, I have to say I much prefer the old smileys. I believe the problem with the new ones is the colour. White on orange does not give you the same subjective depth of contrast you get with black on yellow, and the brain is less able to reconstruct a face from the icon and hence infer the emotion being conveyed.

Also - there are no eyebrows on the new ones. Eyebrows are a very important facial feature for conveying emotion. :-s :wink:

Another point - if we have both sets of emoticons available, I think we need new key bindings for the new ones. Assigning old key-bindings to the new smileys would cause new smileys to appear on the 11 million+ old existing posts, which could change the intentions of the original poster, which is wrong, imo.

forrestcupp
May 22nd, 2012, 11:38 AM
Another point - if we have both sets of emoticons available, I think we need new key bindings for the new ones. Assigning old key-bindings to the new smileys would cause new smileys to appear on the 11 million+ old existing posts, which could change the intentions of the original poster, which is wrong, imo.

That's a great point.

-jay-
May 25th, 2012, 07:39 AM
I like the new smileys... yellow is so 2000...

same here the yellow is so old

catlover2
May 25th, 2012, 07:54 AM
I like some of the old ones, but I think the new orange ones would look nice. I was thinking that the new ones would be nice as default, but coffeecat made an excellent point (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1984344&page=3#30).

I know of a forum that must've upgraded its smilies and now has a bunch of :broken_smiley: :codes: on its older posts.

Perfect Storm
May 25th, 2012, 07:58 AM
My vote goes to the new theme smiley.
Though the yellow smilies is unified around web, we could take the chance to stand out from other forums by having our own unique smilies.

codingman
May 27th, 2012, 02:10 PM
@Technoviking, although I quite like what you have been able to do with the designs of most of those you've posted, I have to say I much prefer the old smileys. I believe the problem with the new ones is the colour. White on orange does not give you the same subjective depth of contrast you get with black on yellow, and the brain is less able to reconstruct a face from the icon and hence infer the emotion being conveyed.

Also - there are no eyebrows on the new ones. Eyebrows are a very important facial feature for conveying emotion. :-s :wink:

very good point!

IWantFroyo
May 27th, 2012, 02:13 PM
I like the new ones.

kansasnoob
May 28th, 2012, 12:00 AM
I originally voted for the old smiley's but given the latest improvements I'd change my vote if I could.

Perfect Storm
May 28th, 2012, 04:55 AM
I originally voted for the old smiley's but given the latest improvements I'd change my vote if I could.
Done.

MisterGaribaldi
May 28th, 2012, 07:03 AM
T-V:

I like the standardization. Here's my modified version of your Emoticon proof sheet. I enlarged the eyes, added expressive eyebrows, changed the bubble color to match the lighter orange that the "Quote" button is, and also 3D-ified them.

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/1636/mistergaribaldiufemotic.png

Some thoughts, though...

While it's great not to have a gazillion of these things anymore (it is a real PITA trying to access and look through the emoticons on this board) there are a few you don't have that might make sense to retain. Those would be the animated ones: Guitar Guy, LOLflag Guy, Popcorn Guy (which isn't animated, I know), Bang Head Against Brick Wall Guy, and Red Embarrassed Guy.

Also, maybe now is the time for you to set up a means and process so that, in the future, if a creative member here decides to submit a unique and appropriate image for a future emoticon, we could have a community vote, you could have some kind of mod/admin review, and then you could add it to the board, and with the right process you wouldn't have to add a crapton of hours to your already busy schedule.

Beyond that... more thoughts, when I have them.

Shadius
May 28th, 2012, 07:08 AM
T-V:

I like the standardization. Here's my modified version of your Emoticon proof sheet. I enlarged the eyes, added expressive eyebrows, changed the bubble color to match the lighter orange that the "Quote" button is, and also 3D-ified them.

Some thoughts, though...

While it's great not to have a gazillion of these things anymore (it is a real PITA trying to access and look through the emoticons on this board) there are a few you don't have that might make sense to retain. Those would be the animated ones: Guitar Guy, LOLflag Guy, Popcorn Guy (which isn't animated, I know), Bang Head Against Brick Wall Guy, and Red Embarrassed Guy.

Also, maybe now is the time for you to set up a means and process so that, in the future, if a creative member here decides to submit a unique and appropriate image for a future emoticon, we could have a community vote, you could have some kind of mod/admin review, and then you could add it to the board, and with the right process you wouldn't have to add a crapton of hours to your already busy schedule.

These are niiiiiiiiiice! :popcorn:

Hwæt
May 28th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Well, it would be a good idea if you kept both, TV, and let users pick there type in the user CP

Careful there. We don't want another Great Ubuntuforums MySQL Disaster of 2009.

RIP thanks system.

codingman
May 28th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Careful there. We don't want another Great Ubuntuforums MySQL Disaster of 2009.

RIP thanks system.

It's not a big change to make a MySQL disaster (as you refer to it), just a simple addition of 15 smileys and a form inside of the user cp, nothing to do with MySQL.

codingman
May 28th, 2012, 09:19 PM
T-V:

Some thoughts, though...

How did you make those??? Awesome!!! :guitar::guitar::guitar:
I can hardly make a cube in Inkscape :( what software?

Linuxratty
May 28th, 2012, 10:05 PM
How did you make those??? Awesome!

Aren't those nice! I'm really impressed!

mips
May 29th, 2012, 09:22 AM

This ^^

Technoviking
May 29th, 2012, 10:16 PM
I like them, could I get a copy in a SVG format.

T-V

T-V:

Some thoughts, though...

MisterGaribaldi
May 29th, 2012, 11:29 PM
T-V:

Well, I just took the PNG you originally posted and futzed with 'em in Photoshop.

How did you create them initially?

Technoviking
May 30th, 2012, 02:56 AM
They were on the branding site.

T-V

T-V:

Well, I just took the PNG you originally posted and futzed with 'em in Photoshop.

How did you create them initially?

forrestcupp
May 30th, 2012, 12:49 PM
They were on the branding site.

T-V

Well, that brings some light to the situation. So all these pictograms are Canonical's fault and not yours.

Technoviking
May 30th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Fault is not the word I would use. I was not told to change the smileys, but thought something that matches the theme would look better and ran a poll to see what our community thought.

T-V

Well, that brings some light to the situation. So all these pictograms are Canonical's fault and not yours.

Eddie Wilson
May 30th, 2012, 04:47 PM
They are nice but I'm mostly out of the cutesy phase now, but I still use them sometimes. I don't use any when I'm serious.
:lolflag:

MisterGaribaldi
May 30th, 2012, 06:06 PM
they are nice but i'm mostly out of the cutesy phase now, but i still use them sometimes. I don't use any when i'm serious.
:lolflag:

Are you serious?!?!?!?

..........#########
.......###############
....#####################
..#########################
.###########################
#############################
.###########################
..#########################
...######################
.##### ###############
##........#########

:p

codingman
May 30th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Yes seems to be the result of the poll, and now that it is closed i'm guessing this is final?

sffvba[e0rt
May 30th, 2012, 11:17 PM
... decided to create a poll to to see what people think...

Yes seems to be the result of the poll, and now that it is closed i'm guessing this is final?

This was just a poll to get some feedback... nothing is final.

thatguruguy
May 30th, 2012, 11:22 PM
I'd be perfectly OK with it if smileys were dumped altogether.

KiwiNZ
May 30th, 2012, 11:28 PM

In the sterile online world these make it easier, not perfect, but easier to convey emotion and intent.

sffvba[e0rt
May 30th, 2012, 11:30 PM
In the sterile online world these make it easier, not perfect, but easier to convey emotion and intent.

Yup, all we need now is a sarcasm font and we are all set :)

KiwiNZ
May 30th, 2012, 11:37 PM
Yup, all we need now is a sarcasm font and we are all set :)

we do, Wing Dings

MisterGaribaldi
May 31st, 2012, 02:13 AM
Hey, KiwiNZ, would one of these (http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/list/style/Grunge) work for sarcasm?

s.fox
May 31st, 2012, 04:37 PM
72 people voted.

Given the size of this forum I would not wish to see such a change without more participation from its members.

CharlesA
May 31st, 2012, 04:39 PM
72 people voted.

Given the size of this forum I would not wish to see such a change without more participation from its members.
Agreed.

vasa1
May 31st, 2012, 04:41 PM
It's a matter of individual taste. Blocking them is easy to do.

MisterGaribaldi
May 31st, 2012, 04:57 PM
In my experience, it's the minority who rule in any event, because it's the minority who participate in the process.

You're right though, because it would suck if changes to this board were approved of by only 72 out of tens of thousands of people (or however many members of UF there are). But, in my view, it's the rest who couldn't be bothered who are to blame. At least the admins and some of us (those of us who voted one way or the other) are actively interested.

|{urse
May 31st, 2012, 05:13 PM
What the heck are smileys? :-k

forrestcupp
May 31st, 2012, 10:29 PM
In my experience, it's the minority who rule in any event, because it's the minority who participate in the process.

You're right though, because it would suck if changes to this board were approved of by only 72 out of tens of thousands of people (or however many members of UF there are). But, in my view, it's the rest who couldn't be bothered who are to blame. At least the admins and some of us (those of us who voted one way or the other) are actively interested.

There are a lot of people on here who never even look at the Cafe.

codingman
May 31st, 2012, 10:44 PM
What the heck are smileys? :-k

http://static.gearslutz.com/board/images/smilies/facepalm.gif

Bandit
June 1st, 2012, 01:52 AM
There are a lot of people on here who never even look at the Cafe.

Yea very true.

New smileys that are direct replacement would be nice. And it would be nice to have higher quality ones. Dont mind the orange. I like orange. But we need a full set that are perfect replacements. I may try to make a set this weekend that is a high quality replacement for our current. Let me get rested up and I will crack a whip with GIMP.

thatguruguy
June 1st, 2012, 03:02 AM
It's a matter of individual taste. Blocking them is easy to do.

No. Everyone must do everything exactly the way I do it. For that matter, they must also use the exact same DE I use, along with the same icons and wallpaper. There can be no deviation from what I want, EVAR.

MisterGaribaldi
June 1st, 2012, 03:36 AM
Yea very true.

New smileys that are direct replacement would be nice. And it would be nice to have higher quality ones. Dont mind the orange. I like orange. But we need a full set that are perfect replacements. I may try to make a set this weekend that is a high quality replacement for our current. Let me get rested up and I will crack a whip with GIMP.

I've got Photoshop. If you need any help, PM me.

Bandit
June 1st, 2012, 06:59 AM
I've got Photoshop. If you need any help, PM me.

I have PS as well, but I actually prefer GIMP over PS when building graphics from scratch. This is mainly cuz I have been using GIMP as long as I have been using Linux (~12+ years).

But yea give me a day or two and I will amaze you.

- Joe :)

vasa1
June 1st, 2012, 08:09 AM
No. Everyone must do everything exactly the way I do it. For that matter, they must also use the exact same DE I use, along with the same icons and wallpaper. There can be no deviation from what I want, EVAR.
But you don't know where I live ;)

forrestcupp
June 1st, 2012, 02:20 PM
Yea very true.

My point was that if you're having a poll to see people's opinion on a big change that could possibly alter people's intent in past posts, it's not fair to not include the many people who never look at the Cafe. It's the people in the support forums who are doing what this forum is all about anyway.

Also, the smiley face has been represented by a yellow circle with a black smile and eyes since around 1963. Why would you want to alter something so drastically that has been a part of pop culture for that long just to match Canonical's theme of pictograms? It's not right.

codingman
June 1st, 2012, 02:29 PM
My point was that if you're having a poll to see people's opinion on a big change that could possibly alter people's intent in past posts, it's not fair to not include the many people who never look at the Cafe. It's the people in the support forums who are doing what this forum is all about anyway.

Also, the smiley face has been represented by a yellow circle with a black smile and eyes since around 1963. Why would you want to alter something so drastically that has been a part of pop culture for that long just to match Canonical's theme of pictograms? It's not right.

http://www.langkawi.dk/smileys/l33.gif

That's sort of true though, I mean, just for a company? Doesn't sound right either.

Bandit
June 1st, 2012, 03:41 PM

I am attempting (hence already started) to draw some new ones up that that are much more updated, nicer looking and most importantly be a perfect replacement for existing ones that will convey the same message as the old ones do. There is good number of them that I will have to recreate. So please dont judge them until I have posted them for Mike and everyone else to review.