PDA

View Full Version : Is my registered mail probably my Ubuntu disks?

etrexuser
May 21st, 2012, 07:25 PM
I got registered mail and the Sender's Name section is signed "BRITAIN"
I went to the post office to get it but was told it was at another post office.
I recently ordered Ubuntu disks from Canocial, is it possible that this is my Ubuntu disks. Do they send them registered mail and sign them "Britain?"
Registered mail makes me apprehensive.

grahammechanical
May 21st, 2012, 07:31 PM
Why?

I do not know what method of post Canonical uses. But I understand that registered post is just a way of recording that the package/envelope was sent and received.

Regards.

gettinoriginal
May 21st, 2012, 07:45 PM

And you should be in my opinion !!

I doubt that cononical would be paying for registered mail and would have no reason to. I would suspect scam or ID theft in progress. Check the postal code on the notice before proceeding.

etrexuser
May 21st, 2012, 07:48 PM

I doubt that cononical would be paying for registered mail and would have no reason to. I would suspect scam or ID theft in progress. Check the postal code on the notice before proceeding.

You may be wrong my friend, I just checked my email from Canonical, and below I pasted. Didn't you know that Canonical doesn't send the disks for free anymore?

Canonical Store ------------------------------------------------------ Order Number: [redacted] Date Ordered: Saturday 05 May, 2012 Products ------------------------------------------------------ 1 x Ubuntu 12.04 Desktop - Pack of 5 (UBN00205-5) = £5.00 ------------------------------------------------------ Sub-Total: £5.00 Registered Air Mail (Shipping to US : 0.2 kg(s)): £6.50 Total: £11.50 ------------------------------------------------------ Should there be any customs charges for your shipment it will be the recipients responsibility to pay these, and not the responsibility of Canonical or Merchandise Mania Ltd. ------------------------------------------------------

And there is no postal code, address, or anything besides where the signature is someone signed "Britain" in their handwriting.

gettinoriginal
May 21st, 2012, 08:18 PM
Sorry, I regret my ignorance in cononicals shipping policies. Consider me educated on this point. However, I do stand by my theory of being cautious. :)

etrexuser
May 21st, 2012, 08:25 PM
Sorry, I regret my ignorance in cononicals shipping policies. Consider me educated on this point. However, I do stand by my theory of being cautious. :)

No problemo. Also, I'm not the only one that gets apprehensive over registered or certified mail ~ it doesn't always bring good news. I think the U.S. Postal worker probably wrote the word "Britain" in the signature line, in all capital letters ~ that is assuming Canonical ships from Britain.

fooman
May 21st, 2012, 09:34 PM
the left notice slip you received was not "signed" by the sender....that slip is filled out by your mailman. if he/she could not read the return addressee's name for some reason, then they most likely just printed the name of the country of origin in the space marked "senders name"...in this case: BRITAIN

etrexuser
May 21st, 2012, 11:32 PM
the left notice slip you received was not "signed" by the sender....that slip is filled out by your mailman. if he/she could not read the return addressee's name for some reason, then they most likely just printed the name of the country of origin in the space marked "senders name"...in this case: BRITAIN

Not any people named Britain that I've ever known in the States, either. Brittany yes, but Britain, no. But with names, I suppose someone out there somewhere is named Britain?

oldos2er
May 21st, 2012, 11:39 PM
Moved to Community Cafe.

kurt18947
May 22nd, 2012, 12:03 AM

In the U.S. the one to cause concern would be certified mail. That's the one usually used by lawyers, law enforcement, I.R.S. and others we'd rather not hear from to confirm delivery.
From USPS.com:

Registered Mail™ Service

Get maximum security for your valuable items. Registered Mail items can be insured for up to $25,000 at your Post Office™.
I didn't know Ubuntu disks were all that valuable :p.

etrexuser
May 23rd, 2012, 08:09 PM

The mystery is solved. It was my Ubuntu disks. They send them registered air mail from Britain and the Post Office people must have wrote "BRITAIN" in the senders name box and would not deliver them to me unless I was either here or I signed a card allowing them to deliver it if I wasn't here at my risk of it getting stolen or something.