PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu CD Ordering Site

marsdend
May 21st, 2012, 03:17 PM
Hi all!

I am considering starting a website distributing only Ubuntu CD's, basically youll go to the site choose either the LTS version or latest version of Ubuntu and order the CD for a small fee to cover costs and postage etc.

This service will be available to send out CD's worldwide. The CD's will be high quality and dispatched via First Class in the UK or Airmal Worldwide.

This is to help ubuntu users get the CD's from one place instead of some of the cheap copies on ebay (not saying all are bad on ebay, but ive had a few shoddy ones).

This will be a professional service and all transaction and details will be protected by a SSL certificate on secure hosting.

Any ideas, questions or suggestions would be appreciated. Also please take part in the poll to let me know if you like and would order from the site.

Kind Regards,
Dan

zombifier25
May 21st, 2012, 03:20 PM
Doesn't Canonical already provide this service? (http://shop.canonical.com/index.php?cPath=17)

marsdend
May 21st, 2012, 03:22 PM
Doesn't Canonical already provide this service? (http://shop.canonical.com/index.php?cPath=17)

The service was cancelled by canonical and no longer sends out CD's unfortunately

marsdend
May 21st, 2012, 03:28 PM
Also, for 5 CDs from the Canonical Store would cost £9.90 to get to the UK, Where if i only wanted 1 Id have to pay for all 5

Warpnow
May 21st, 2012, 03:33 PM
Yeah, Ubuntu sells them in sets of 5, which isn't horrible, but the shipping, pricing, ect, puts getting a CD close to $20-- a service they used to provide for free. This is offputting to me. If Shipit had not sent me a free CD to try I may have never started using Linux.

I think a multiDVD with all the Ubuntu distros and a few other smaller ones (Puppy, Slitaz, ect) and maybe Mint would be helpful. Put all of them on one DVD to avoid people having to order a bunch.

marsdend
May 21st, 2012, 03:37 PM
Yeah, Ubuntu sells them in sets of 5, which isn't horrible, but the shipping, pricing, ect, puts getting a CD close to $20-- a service they used to provide for free. This is offputting to me. If Shipit had not sent me a free CD to try I may have never started using Linux.

I think a multiDVD with all the Ubuntu distros and a few other smaller ones (Puppy, Slitaz, ect) and maybe Mint would be helpful. Put all of them on one DVD to avoid people having to order a bunch.

That sounds good! Il add that to the ideas! Thanks for that, the postage is quite a lot. I can provide a professional, fast and cheap service, just getting all the ideas together!

Thanks again!

Warpnow
May 21st, 2012, 03:44 PM
That sounds good! Il add that to the ideas! Thanks for that, the postage is quite a lot. I can provide a professional, fast and cheap service, just getting all the ideas together!

Thanks again!

You could also take a lightweight distro like slitaz and load it up with a very basic web browser and have it autolaunch in fullscreen with an HTML walkthrough of each distro so the user can make a choice and understand how they each work.

Also could remaster a version of ubuntu without any apps in it, so the user could pick/choose the apps they want from the description and screenshots in the walkthrough. Call it like "Ubuntu Blank" with only Gnome/Unity and no apps but software center. Could do the same thing for Xubuntu/Kubuntu.

marsdend
May 22nd, 2012, 08:49 PM
Anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dan

KiwiNZ
May 22nd, 2012, 08:57 PM
I support any idea that will increase distribution. Just a note though Linux Distros are included in many magazine cover discs.

EB0V
May 22nd, 2012, 09:22 PM
If Shipit had not sent me a free CD to try I may have never started using Linux.
Same here! I started using Ubuntu because I received a free copy of 10.04 LTS!