PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Alacarte Dependencies

Frogs Hair
May 21st, 2012, 02:46 PM
After removing Gnome-session-fallback alacarte no longer worked in Unity or the Gnome shell. This was discovered when attempting to change an icon from the main menu.

Some research suggested that it was a bug, but when reading the bug report I found that alacarte is dependent on the Gnome panel. Is there a way to remove Gnome Classic and keep alacarte working ? I was happy to have this unused DE off the login menu , but it seems I need it to use alacarte.

zombifier25
May 21st, 2012, 02:52 PM
I did an apt-cache show alacarte, and it says that alacarte recommends gnome-panel, not dependent on it. Try apt-get'ing it with the --no-install-recommends flag.
Sorry, can't check if it works because I don't want to remove gnome-panel at the moment.

diesch
May 21st, 2012, 03:07 PM
Alacarte uses gnome-desktop-item-edit from the package gnome-panel to edit menu item properties. Without that package the "Properties" button doesn't work.

gnome-panel only reccommends gnome-fallback-session so you can remove that while keeping gnome-panel . But you should explicitly install gnome-panel so it doesn't get remove by autoremove.

Frogs Hair
May 21st, 2012, 03:19 PM
Thank you both for the replies I will try what zombifier25 suggested and do some additional searching it that fails.

Frogs Hair
May 21st, 2012, 04:22 PM
I checked the dependency list, removed gnome-session-fallback (GSF) again and alacarte is working fine after rebooting which I had done many times after removing GSF the first time. I plan to find out why the Gnome Panel is recommended though.