PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to eliminate all Gnome from login choices?

s9032g@comcast.net
May 21st, 2012, 02:43 PM
I have 12.04 LTS successfully installed. Since I am having nothing but trouble with Gnome (it loads right over Unity and makes a mess) I would like to eliminate the Gnome choices from login.

I already got Ubuntu Tweak and ran the janitor which got rid of a lot of "cruft". Now I would like to move on and just forget Gnome.

zombifier25
May 21st, 2012, 02:45 PM
Did you install GNOME Shell? If so, then just remove it, along with gnome-panel.

raja.genupula
May 21st, 2012, 03:48 PM
Yeah , Simple way is you can do it from Ubuntu Software Center .

s9032g@comcast.net
May 25th, 2012, 02:53 PM
According to everything I can see I don't have anything Gnome now. I checked the software center and Dash. Yet the Gnome choice is still there at login and, if I choose it, some of it installs right over the Unity top menu.

cortman
May 25th, 2012, 04:27 PM
According to everything I can see I don't have anything Gnome now. I checked the software center and Dash. Yet the Gnome choice is still there at login and, if I choose it, some of it installs right over the Unity top menu.

Frankly, rather than butcher a stock Ubuntu installation you should just install the *buntu you prefer, whether X*, L* or K*. Or spin your own from the minimal CD. (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD)

s9032g@comcast.net
May 26th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Actually I didn't do the" butchering". When I ran the janitor in Ubuntu Tweak it cleaned out a lot of useless items, including apparently, 99% of Gnome.

Good suggestion though. Maybe I will do just that next time around.

cortman
May 26th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Actually I didn't do the" butchering". When I ran the janitor in Ubuntu Tweak it cleaned out a lot of useless items, including apparently, 99% of Gnome.

Good suggestion though. Maybe I will do just that next time around.

Sure. +1 for Ubuntu tweak. Glad it's working.
I just finished installing my custom Ubuntu spin from the minimal CD. I installed only gnome-shell. :)
Good luck!