PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] How do I reinstall xubuntu 12.04 LTS?

ambdesign
May 21st, 2012, 11:48 AM
Hello all,

I have recently installed the above mentioned xubuntu-version on an old PC. The installation seemed to work ok. However, when I tried to shut down the system froze.

Even though it might not be the correct cure, I thougt that the best thing would be to reinstall xubuntu. Now, I don't really know how to do that.

- Shouldn't it work to start the computer with the installation-DVD in the tray?
- Is there a way to check if my installation-DVD might be the problem?

Best regards
Anders

mörgæs
May 21st, 2012, 11:49 AM
How old is the computer?

If you are thinking of a reinstall you could also give Lubuntu a try.

If BIOS is set to boot from DVD, it should work. Have you tried the DVD in another computer?

Jose Catre-Vandis
May 21st, 2012, 12:09 PM
Does the freeze happen everytime, or was it just on the first shutdown? Have you done all the updates and any restricted driver installs?

Run the system up and down a few times, it might sort itself out.

Why have you got a DVD? Xubuntu 12.04 will fit on a CD.

You could download the ALT CD and try that for installation purposes. Works better on older hardware as uses ncurses interface and not GUI.

ambdesign
May 21st, 2012, 03:40 PM
How old is the computer?

If you are thinking of a reinstall you could also give Lubuntu a try.

If BIOS is set to boot from DVD, it should work. Have you tried the DVD in another computer?

Hello mörgaes,
I am not quite sure about the age of that perticular computer, but to give you a hint I think it was running Windows XP.

I will definately try it in another computer.

BR
Anders

ambdesign
May 21st, 2012, 03:57 PM
Does the freeze happen everytime, or was it just on the first shutdown? Have you done all the updates and any restricted driver installs?

Run the system up and down a few times, it might sort itself out.

Why have you got a DVD? Xubuntu 12.04 will fit on a CD.

You could download the ALT CD and try that for installation purposes. Works better on older hardware as uses ncurses interface and not GUI.

Hello Jose Catre-Vandis,

As far as I know all updates are installed, at least it says so when I start the "Update manager".

I have tried the "start and stop" method a few times, not intentionally to solve the problem, but more out of frustration. ;)

Maybe I shall try it a couple of more times. Thank you for your recommendation.

The reason I am using a DVD is that when I was about to burn the disk it said that the "required space" (or more correctly the file size) was slightly larger than 700 MB. Therefore I stopped the process, inserted a DVD instead and restarted.

BR
Anders

mörgæs
May 21st, 2012, 10:17 PM
There are unfortunately two measures of size: MB and MiB. It gives some confusion...

The ISO fits to a CD (but a DVD works, too). If the computer is newer than around 2004 it also supports booting from a USB stick.

ambdesign
May 22nd, 2012, 08:13 AM
[QUOTE=mörgæs;11956450]There are unfortunately two measures of size: MB and MiB. It gives some confusion...

mörgæs,

Thank you for the info, but being a newbie I have never encountered MiB before, what is that?

/Anders