PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Brasero fails in 12.04 (segmentation violation)

Jonathan L
May 21st, 2012, 09:31 AM
Hi All

Brasero (the CD burner software) is failing with a segmentation violation in newly-installed 12.04 desktop on known good burner. (Lenovo X121e laptop, Samsung external DVD writer model SE-8084 connected by USB.)

Any suggestions or alternatives?

Thanks for any help.

Kind regards,
Jonathan.

PcMojo
May 24th, 2012, 08:26 AM
Jonathan, have you tried K3b just to make sure it isn't a Bresaro issue? I'm having similar problems. After upgrading to 12.04 my Dell D620 won't burn Cd's or Dvd's; whether in Bresaro or K3b. The weird thing is when I stick in a blank disk, the system knows it's a blank Cd or Dvd and asks me what I want to do. When I go to either burning software it keeps asking me to insert the proper medium.

robermad1986
August 10th, 2012, 09:44 AM
I'm having problems too with Brasero and also installed K3B and uninstalled Brasero.
Do u know anything new about this?

Lorin Ricker
August 21st, 2012, 10:30 PM
Since upgrading to 12.04, I've had nothing but problems with Brasero -- esp when creating a data disk, all it does is produce coasters with unreadable data on 'em. Doesn't anyone at Ubuntu know that Brasero is seriously broken, and is apparently an abandoned FOSS project? Even Ubuntu Studio continues to include it as the default burner -- bad choice!

I'm currently trying both K3b and xfburn with great results. K3b looks like a really well-designed and maintained burner. I'll not be looking back at Brasero.
-- Lorin