PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new IRC client

blazemore
May 21st, 2012, 09:08 AM
Previously I used Konversation on KDE.

I've recently switched to Mate (Gnome 2) and I'm looking for an IRC client that won't pull down hundreds of KDE dependencies. I've looked at Pidgin but it really isn't suitable for IRC, being more of an instant-messaging program.

What would you recommend?

sffvba[e0rt
May 21st, 2012, 09:19 AM
Gnome --> XChat.

georgelappies
May 21st, 2012, 09:23 AM
Gnome --> XChat.

Without a doubt XChat, although I prefer the gtk XChat to the gnome-xchat

codemaniac
May 21st, 2012, 09:32 AM
I have turned out to be a weechat fan .

HansKisaragi
May 21st, 2012, 10:07 AM
Xchat is solid but I have fond memories of Irssi and bitchx but they seem to be outdated now.

edit: Weechat looks solid to.. might actually install that.. been a while since i was on IRC.

Bachstelze
May 21st, 2012, 10:11 AM
Xchat is solid but I have fond memories of Irssi and bitchx but they seem to be outdated now.

It would be difficuld for an IRC client to be outdated, seeing as the IRC protocol is over 20 years old and has not changed a bit since. ;) I am still happily using irssi, but if one wants a GUI, XChat is hard to beat.

HansKisaragi
May 21st, 2012, 10:21 AM
It would be difficuld for an IRC client to be outdated, seeing as the IRC protocol is over 20 years old and has not changed a bit since. ;) I am still happily using irssi, but if one wants a GUI, XChat is hard to beat.

You know what I mean.. The protocol might not have changed but the client could use an update, at least once a year. that's my opinion anyways.:KS

Some day it will break and not work anymore.

Also it seems BitchX2 is dead in the waters?

raja.genupula
May 21st, 2012, 10:51 AM
big +1 to Xchat .Its really great application .

oldos2er
May 21st, 2012, 05:12 PM
irssi

mattfrog
May 21st, 2012, 06:23 PM
Personally I'm a fan of Smuxi (http://smuxi.org) - actively developed, and integrating more protocols all the time :guitar: