PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation problems with 12.04

machdohvah
May 21st, 2012, 07:32 AM
Call me an autistic nerd if you would like, but I would like to complain about a few things.

1. There should be a choice available to the user labeled "verbose" before the main installation takes place where when invoked the user would see a gas gage in the top-right in a window that is plain along with a rolling complete log on the main screen beneath everything leaving the user input windows as they are.

2. While using "Ubuntu Software Center" it would have been better if there were percentage numbers on the gas gage so the user can see progress. And, again, it would be nice if there were a "verbose" choice under the View menu (see above). I found a bug in that when a package is finished installing, the button still reports "Install" as though it is not installed. Then when I move on to "More Info" it correctly states that it is installed and the button reports "Remove". An "All" selection for the Add-ons section would also be nice.

machdohvah
June 19th, 2012, 11:26 PM
I posted this four weeks ago and no one has responded? why is that? No one cares about how Ubuntu looks and feels to the public?

wilee-nilee
June 19th, 2012, 11:33 PM
I posted this four weeks ago and no one has responded? why is that? No one cares about how Ubuntu looks and feels to the public?

How it looks to you is not a representation of the public. ;)

Write the apps and submit them is probably your best route.

machdohvah
June 21st, 2012, 11:02 AM
How it looks to you is not a representation of the public. ;)

Write the apps and submit them is probably your best route.

Well, excuse me for living. Where I was raised and when I was in the military, when people bring bug reports to a compuer group, I would not expect the computer group to reply by tell ME to fix the problem. <snip> I do not have the access to the programming environment to solve the issue. I am an end user. I cannot believe that any of this language would ever be use on a customer of any company.

darkod
June 21st, 2012, 12:26 PM
Well, excuse me for living. Where I was raised and when I was in the military, when people bring bug reports to a compuer group, I would not expect the computer group to reply by tell ME to fix the problem. <snip> I do not have the access to the programming environment to solve the issue. I am an end user. I cannot believe that any of this language would ever be use on a customer of any company.

Most of your post contained "personal requests" about layout, etc.
As for bug reporting, anyone is free to report a bug using Launchpad. You can't expect the developers to browse the thousands of posts daily in search for a single sentence mentioning a bug hidden among other things in a post.

File a bug report, if that's what you really want to do, and they will look into it.

If your primary objective was to complain, you have done that and I don't see why it would need hundreds people to comment on it.

Mark Phelps
June 21st, 2012, 10:08 PM
Problem is, we are not the kind of "computer group" you are familiar with. Those are typically IT organizations chartered with supporting a user community and the systems they utilize. When something doesn't work right, they are the right folks to contact.

We, in stark contrast, are a community self-help forum. We neither support, nor do we have access to, the systems and applications that Ubuntu utilizes. All we can do is try to help folks solve problems that they tell us about.

So, while we might be able to help you solve a particular installation problem you have encountered, we are powerless (just like you) to do anything to actually fix that problem on the source code side.

Launchpad is a place you can go to report these problems -- and unlike HERE, the developers actually do read Launchpad reports.

Elfy
June 22nd, 2012, 06:08 AM
Closed - not a support request.