PDA

View Full Version : Dumping Chrome/Chromium because of 12.04...

Isaacgallegos
May 21st, 2012, 01:01 AM
I love the HUD. There are only two kinds of desktop apps: Those that use the HUD and ones I can live without.

Chrome used to be my favorite browser because of how much faster it was on my netbook. But Firefox has become more usable because of the HUD.

Firefox lets you grab bookmarks and change lots of setting from th HUD, meaning you have more power than Chrome's Omnibar (Search bar). I love this. I can also use the dash to type a url or Firefox's urlbar, of course.

Idea 1:
The HUD and Dash in 12.04 are so great, the Unity launch bar is almost pointless. ALMOST. If Ubuntu perfected the use of the Dash, I wish I could search "running" apps, so I could have hundreds of PDFs, spreadsheets, and browser tabs open and search their titles quickly. Man, that would rule.

Idea 2:
Some programs have hundreds of shortcuts. Wouldn't it be great if those were HUD searchable too?

Let me know your thoughts, disagreements, or improvements. :guitar:

Revolutionary101
May 21st, 2012, 01:16 AM
I would disagree with this because of the fact that Adobe has dropped flash support for Linux and the only way to use flash on Linux is to use Chrome. Here is a brief article about it:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Adobe-Drops-Flash-for-Linux-Except-in-Google-Chrome-254483.shtml

Since flash will only become bundled with Google Chrome in upcoming months/years, it will be the most supported browser under Linux. HUD functionality or not, I would prefer a web browser that can render all pages without problem.

billyseth
May 21st, 2012, 01:23 AM
Maybe I'm not understanding the full power of the HUD, because when I hit Alt when chrome is open, I can search different options and related things within that bar.

Am I missing something about the HUD?

Revolutionary101
May 21st, 2012, 02:16 AM
You aren't missing anything. He is just suggesting possible features that could be integrated into future releases of HUD. As of right now the HUD just goes and searches through the active program's options.

jpeddicord
May 21st, 2012, 02:47 AM
Thread moved to The Community Cafe.

Forum Feedback & Help is for feedback for the forums themselves; not Ubuntu. :)

vasa1
May 21st, 2012, 03:37 AM

Idea 1:
The HUD and Dash in 12.04 are so great, the Unity launch bar is almost pointless. ALMOST. If Ubuntu perfected the use of the Dash, I wish I could search "running" apps, so I could have hundreds of PDFs, spreadsheets, and browser tabs open and search their titles quickly. Man, that would rule.

Idea 2:
Some programs have hundreds of shortcuts. Wouldn't it be great if those were HUD searchable too?

Let me know your thoughts, disagreements, or improvements. :guitar:

You made a huge mistake in your choice of title and your comments about browsers because now this thread will be on two issues, browser A versus browser B and the features of Dash/HUD. I suspect you're more interested in the latter but wanted to draw interest with the former. Let's see how it plays out.

Anyway, I agree that the Dash makes the launcher superfluous for some of us. But the pointy-clicky types will miss the launcher and lenses.

Re. the Dash ... let's say I call up mahjonng by merely typing "mah" at the Dash prompt. I then have to, IMO, unnecessarily hit the down arrow an extra time to get past the Apps emblem to highlight the mahjonng emblem and then hit enter. I think having "Apps" in the first row could be reconsidered?

Bandit
May 21st, 2012, 04:15 AM
I would disagree with this because of the fact that Adobe has dropped flash support for Linux and the only way to use flash on Linux is to use Chrome. Here is a brief article about it:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Adobe-Drops-Flash-for-Linux-Except-in-Google-Chrome-254483.shtml

Since flash will only become bundled with Google Chrome in upcoming months/years, it will be the most supported browser under Linux. HUD functionality or not, I would prefer a web browser that can render all pages without problem.

I dont see it, just because everyone is finally getting on the HTML5 boat. Even newer you-tub videos can now be encoded natively. Flash is a thing of the past.

Revolutionary101
May 21st, 2012, 05:33 AM
I dont see it, just because everyone is finally getting on the HTML5 boat. Even newer you-tub videos can now be encoded natively. Flash is a thing of the past.

No, I totally agree that Flash is a thing of the past but as of right now it is still more widely used than HTML5. That's why I still use Chrome.

kurt18947
May 21st, 2012, 05:51 AM
No, I totally agree that Flash is a thing of the past but as of right now it is still more widely used than HTML5. That's why I still use Chrome.

Flash still works in FireFox. My understanding is that Flash will continue to work in Firefox for a few years yet. What won't work are versions of Flash newer than the current 11.xxxx.xxx. Seems like it depends on whether web devs add web page functions that require a flash version newer than what is currently supported.

zombifier25
May 21st, 2012, 06:48 AM

Except that Flash on Firefox is still supported for 5 years, and when support ends, HTML5 will have taken over.

lancest
May 21st, 2012, 06:56 AM
I worry about using a Flash that isn't updated for security.

Copper Bezel
May 21st, 2012, 10:04 AM
Security updates are the only updates non-Pepper Flash is getting over the next five years.

I'm totally addicted to Chrome for other reasons, but I don't think there's any reason to switch based on Flash support. If Flash starts being (more) terrible in Firefox before it disappears, switch then.

Now that I'm on 12.04, I really ought to try using Unity for a day or two. I'm really hooked on Shell, and it's slightly improved in the 3.4 version, but I never really played with Unity extensively even on 11.04, and I really do want to give the HUD a go, because it's a very unique and potentially powerful feature. I mean, to me, it's more or less the one big thing Unity has to offer in contrast to Shell.

forrestcupp
May 21st, 2012, 12:12 PM

Flash still works in FireFox. My understanding is that Flash will continue to work in Firefox for a few years yet. What won't work are versions of Flash newer than the current 11.xxxx.xxx. Seems like it depends on whether web devs add web page functions that require a flash version newer than what is currently supported.kurt18947 is exactly right. They're not just going to snoop into our computers and maliciously remove the Flash 11 that we already have installed. They're going to keep updating that version for us. Almost everything huge on the web that uses Flash (YouTube, Hulu, BBC, Addicting Games, ...) has a minimum requirement of v.10, and some even older versions. We'll be able to keep using Firefox, or whatever we want for a long, long time.

I worry about using a Flash that isn't updated for security.They're continuing security updates for 5 years. A lot changes in 5 years. By that time, most things will be html5 or something else we can use.

nothingspecial
May 21st, 2012, 12:16 PM
You made a huge mistake in your choice of title and your comments about browsers because now this thread will be on two issues, browser A versus browser B and the features of Dash/HUD. I suspect you're more interested in the latter but wanted to draw interest with the former. Let's see how it plays out.

And it ended up another flash thread........

Lucradia
May 21st, 2012, 12:29 PM
I dumped Chrome a long time ago:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1758275

vasa1
May 21st, 2012, 01:21 PM
And it ended up another flash thread........

Maybe Isaac learns something from the experience :D

Gremlinzzz
May 21st, 2012, 03:44 PM
Gave IE a trial then Chrome both were installed with the laptop i just bought.dumped both and installed Firefox:popcorn:

Isaacgallegos
May 21st, 2012, 07:08 PM
Maybe Isaac learns something from the experience :D
Yup. Ubuntu forums rule #1: Remember to enjoy yourself. ;)

Revolutionary101
May 21st, 2012, 08:03 PM
Flash still works in FireFox. My understanding is that Flash will continue to work in Firefox for a few years yet. What won't work are versions of Flash newer than the current 11.xxxx.xxx. Seems like it depends on whether web devs add web page functions that require a flash version newer than what is currently supported.

Except that Flash on Firefox is still supported for 5 years, and when support ends, HTML5 will have taken over.

I was unaware of both of these points. I thought that Adobe was dropping Linux Flash support entirely (including updates to the current version. I guess you learn something new everyday.

woxuxow
May 21st, 2012, 08:17 PM
HUD completed the global minu

i have no idea about chrome.

Isaacgallegos
May 22nd, 2012, 03:00 PM
HUD completed the global minu

i have no idea about chrome.

Chrome has a very limited menu system, because it normally operates from the "omnibar".

Firefox, however, has an extensive menu system, giving the HUD far more power.

Chrome currently has no way of giving the HUD more visibility.

Bye bye chrome..

mfZero
May 25th, 2012, 01:54 AM
I love Opera, but the HUD is virtually useless in it, which makes me a sad panda. :(