PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this system? Can I expect hardware issues?

OffHand
June 17th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Silver color aluminium midi case with a chieftech 360w power supply with a 120mm coolermaster fan
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe Nforce4 motherboard
Amd 64 3000 winchester Cpu
2x 512MB Pc3200 ddr ram
1x 80GB HD
Club3d 6600GT 128mb Sli ready videocard
Silver color Nec 3540a daul layer dvd brander
Silver color media kaart lezer (2.5")

I am thinking about buying this system and I wonder if anyone experienced problems with any of these parts (or combinations). Also I would like to know your opinion about the price. It's around 300 euro.

Thanks in advance.

x64Jimbo
June 17th, 2006, 09:10 AM
I would look into the 3700+ San Diego if I were you. 1MB cache is hard to beat. Also, since the socket AM2 just came out, you'll be a lot more likely to find a great deal on a dual core socket 939. as far as the ram goes, I'm not so sure I agree with the ram choice. 1GB is good but it's no longer the "OMG 1GB!!11" value that it was a few years ago. More and more apps are using ram less sparingly, which makes having more very convenient. You don't want to be swapping to hard disk. I'd suggest getting a couple 1GB sticks. That'll be future-proof for a couple years.

bikeboy
June 17th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Looks ok. Don't know of Club3d but if its an nvidia its generally fine.
PSU seems a bit underpowered though and the Winchester is old if this is a brand new pc.

OffHand
June 17th, 2006, 09:15 AM
It is a second hand system. I don't need the newest of the newest.
I am running a Celeron with 1300 Mhz, 512 MB SDRAM now.
I have looked everywhere but if I want to buy a comparable system new it is gonna cost me a lot more... and I cannot spend much money.

OffHand
June 17th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Anyone else? Feedback is appreciated :)

John.Michael.Kane
June 18th, 2006, 07:55 PM
subsonic_shadow everything looks golden.

The A8N-SLI Deluxe will allow you to upgrade to an Athlon 64FX/Athlon 64 X2
The Amd 64 3000 winchester Cpu should allow for a good overclock if your into that.
The 2x 512MB Pc3200 ddr ram should be fine you did not list the name so i will take it that it's value ram. it may hinder overclocking a little not much.
This should hold you provided your not into heavy movie/picture editing or 1x 80GB HD
This Club3d 6600GT 128mb Sli ready videocard seems to have had good reviews
Nec's are a known good brand Silver color Nec 3540a daul layer dvd brander

300 euro comes in at just under 400$ with the options you have to upgrade later, and provided the machine was maintained well. that price seems fair for a whole machine. if you can you should test the machine before you hand over your money.

OffHand
June 18th, 2006, 09:43 PM
subsonic_shadow everything looks golden.

The A8N-SLI Deluxe will allow you to upgrade to an Athlon 64FX/Athlon 64 X2
The Amd 64 3000 winchester Cpu should allow for a good overclock if your into that.
The 2x 512MB Pc3200 ddr ram should be fine you did not list the name so i will take it that it's value ram. it may hinder overclocking a little not much.
This should hold you provided your not into heavy movie/picture editing or 1x 80GB HD
This Club3d 6600GT 128mb Sli ready videocard seems to have had good reviews
Nec's are a known good brand Silver color Nec 3540a daul layer dvd brander

300 euro comes in at just under 400$ with the options you have to upgrade later, and provided the machine was maintained well. that price seems fair for a whole machine. if you can you should test the machine before you hand over your money.
SD-Plissken thanks for your reply. Glad it looks good :)
I can test it at the seller's house when I pick it up. I hope I win this auction O:)

Jason_25
June 18th, 2006, 09:47 PM
You didn't list the specs for the ram or hard drive. Winchester cpus have some problems. Many will not pass prime at any speed. The motherboard has tremendous problems overclocking. It is not for overclocking. Read around if you don't believe me. The PSU is suspect. I would not buy it.

bruce89
June 18th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Mind you, my AMD Athlon 64 3200+, with router, speakers and monitor only uses about 120W.

OffHand
June 18th, 2006, 10:07 PM
You didn't list the specs for the ram or hard drive. Winchester cpus have some problems. Many will not pass prime at any speed. The motherboard has tremendous problems overclocking. It is not for overclocking. Read around if you don't believe me. The PSU is suspect. I would not buy it.
I'm not really into overclocking. I use a Celeron 1300 now. This is a very old system so this would be a big inprovement already. I'm doing some googling now about the things you brought up.

Edit: can you provide a link please? All I find are good reviews.

Jason_25
June 18th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Here's one.
http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/fri-jun-02-2006-528-am-vp560979.html

According to this, you may or may not have the 1t problem depending on the bios version, and board revision. But chances are if the board is paired with a winchester, then it's an old revision.

John.Michael.Kane
June 18th, 2006, 11:03 PM
subsonic_shadow the only thing that would probably need to be changed is the psu

ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe (http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzAz)
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Winchester CPU (http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=933&redirect=yes)

Sidenote: Jason_25 your link is in reguards to overclocking. however if the enduser has no need to overclock then what excatly is the issue?

Jason_25
June 18th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Sidenote: Jason_25 your link is in reguards to overclocking. however if the enduser has no need to overclock then what excatly is the issue?
There is no issue at all with the board unless you plan to overclock. It is fast at default settings.

erikpiper
June 18th, 2006, 11:14 PM
I didn't see a CPU cooler mentioned- Make SURE to get one, as stock ones are usually terrible, loud, or both.. (Usually) I reccomend the thermaltake big typhoon. BIG- but quiet, and very good cooling- keeps my 3000 at slightly above ambient. Vey popular too.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835106061

Also, I reccomend a better PSU- More $ the better... And get at least 500 W- Then if its a nice one, you can use it in your next PC..

bruce89
June 18th, 2006, 11:17 PM
I didn't see a CPU cooler mentioned- Make SURE to get one, as stock ones are usually terrible, loud, or both.. (Usually)
My stock AMD one is quiet, and it keeps the CPU at 30C.

Jason_25
June 18th, 2006, 11:17 PM
When I had a winchester with no overclock, stock cooler and minimal case cooling I was seeing temps that matched the ambient temperature. It is the coolest running CPU I have ever witnessed. The stock amd64 cooler is great.

erikpiper
June 18th, 2006, 11:29 PM
Really? Thats pretty cool... But the Big Typhoon makes like... NO noise. I hooked it up to an old PSU, and jump started it. I could hear a VERY quiet whoosh.. And the (Single fan) PSU was over twice as loud. In a case, you couldn't hear it at all. And I have a AMD Anthlon 64 3000 overclocked to 2400 mhz- a 400 mhz OC- And the big typhoon keeps it UNDER 30 at load....

My AMD Anthlon XP stock cooler tho.... LOUD

OffHand
June 19th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Thnx for all the replies folks. I've made my bid. Auction will end tomorrow so cross your fingers for me :lol:

@ Jason

The link you posted about the issues with your motherboard... well in the reply that dude answers all problems are gone after a bios update. That, the replies, and the fact overclocking won't be happening any time soon convinced me this is a pretty solid deal for a poor man like me 8)

John.Michael.Kane
June 23rd, 2006, 06:41 PM
subsonic_shadow how did you make out with the machine you was looking at?

OffHand
June 23rd, 2006, 06:58 PM
subsonic_shadow how did you make out with the machine you was looking at?
Oh man, that seller ****** ***
So I didn't buy that one.
I bought this one instead, I hope I can get it to work with Ubuntu but I did some research and I should be fine:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ socket 939 with silent cooling.
Asrock 939NF4-SATA2 with NVidia NV44 chipset
1024 MB DDR PC3200 Memory
DVD-ROM LG 16x
160 GB Maxtor Diamond Max 10 SATA
Geforce 6100 128MB
6 kanaals audio on board
10/100Mbit LAN on board
6 USB poorten (2 aan voorkant kast)
Silent 420W PSU

All new materials for 401 euro

John.Michael.Kane
June 23rd, 2006, 07:09 PM
subsonic_shadow it looks good, and it's all new parts :mrgreen:. It's almost the same rig i'm working on. the graphics should be suported, and i don't think you should any real issues. however i'm sure you will post if you do.

Enjoy....

OffHand
June 23rd, 2006, 08:49 PM
subsonic_shadow it looks good, and it's all new parts :mrgreen:. It's almost the same rig i'm working on. the graphics should be suported, and i don't think you should any real issues. however i'm sure you will post if you do.

Enjoy....
Hehe thnx mate. If it arives I will feel like a kid in the candy store :D
I cannot wait to kick my old one out of the house.