PDA

View Full Version : Wallpaper changers anonymous

Erik1984
May 20th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Okay, I'll kick off:
I find myself replacing the wallpaper quite often. I guess it's about 2 times per week. Judging by the screenshots thread some of you change wallpapers 2 times per day ;) so it's not too bad but still, I find it hard to leave the wallpaper alone for let's say a month. Now I'm just curious about others' experiences on this subject. A picture of my wallpaper folder stats is attached.

Now it's your turn:
How often do you change the wallpaper of your graphical desktop? How many
wallpapers do you have and how big (MB, GB or even TB :smile:) is your wallpaper collection?

Maybe you are a hero with iron self discipline and never change the wallpaper... even you are welcome in this thread to teach vivid wallpaper changers the art of patience.

Lynceus
May 20th, 2012, 04:15 PM
It's not often that i change my wallpaper, i do spend allot of time searching the Internet when i do change it.

Imagine a TB with only wallpapers on it.:lolflag:

EB0V
May 20th, 2012, 05:09 PM
I only see my desktop when I log in and log out!
I use Chrome OS wallpapers (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/03/download-chrome-oss-50-new-wallpapers/) though!

AvalonSpirit
May 20th, 2012, 05:10 PM
I don't change it that often either, about once every few months. However when I do change it I pass through quite a few before I choose which one I like. I'd rather mess around with my conky settings.

A picture of my wallpaper folder stats is attached

That is a VERY large wallpaper folder!

scouser73
May 20th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Here's mine.

Dragonbite
May 20th, 2012, 06:25 PM
I get a lot of wallpapers from wallpaper packs put together on HowToGeek.com. I download all/most of them and put them into their own folder on my dropbox account. Then I make whatever system to rotate through the wallpapers at about every 45 minutes (though Xubuntu seems to change at each logout/shutdown).

Bandit
May 20th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Here's mine.

LOL mine as well:

Copper Bezel
May 20th, 2012, 07:47 PM
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17749392/Screenshots/2012-05-20/Screenshot%20from%202012-05-20%2013%3A44%3A11.png
But mostly, this just means that I never actually clean out and delete anything. I'm very picky about wallpapers, but I'm apt to search for something I want, try ten of them on, use the one and forget about the nine, but never actually get around to deleting them.

BigSilly
May 20th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Blimey mine's 1Gb! :shock:

And yes I change mine all the time too. Unless I find something a bit special that is, where I might keep it around for a couple of weeks. Otherwise I can end up changing mine every other day.

Uncle Spellbinder
May 20th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Well, not as much as you guys. But more than enough to fit my mood when the the need arises...

http://i46.tinypic.com/14cbn0x.jpg

Frogs Hair
May 20th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Almost a wallpaper teetotaler in comparison to the addicts.

Erik1984
May 20th, 2012, 08:48 PM

And yes I change mine all the time too. Unless I find something a bit special that is, where I might keep it around for a couple of weeks. Otherwise I can end up changing mine every other day.

We have a winner! :p

BigSilly
May 20th, 2012, 09:19 PM
We have a winner! :p

And just to prove it (as if a screenshot's proof) -

arclance
May 20th, 2012, 09:23 PM
I wrote a script that randomly changes my wallpaper, conky transparency, and terminal transparency every half hour.
Here are the stats on the folder that holds all the prescaled random backgrounds.
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=218346&stc=1&d=1337545246

BigSilly
May 20th, 2012, 09:26 PM
See? There's always a bigger fish. :)

Bandit
May 20th, 2012, 10:15 PM
Gonna be hard to beat Arclance. :popcorn:

Sector11
May 21st, 2012, 01:55 AM
Gonna be hard to beat Arclance. :popcorn:

No kidding, that's huge - in size ... but I have more!!!

I don't change it that often either, about once every few months. However when I do change it I pass through quite a few before I choose which one I like. I'd rather mess around with my conky settings.

Re: the conky, me too! I got a few thousand of those. :D

Wallpapers: http://t.imgbox.com/aalAmxof.jpg (http://imgbox.com/aalAmxof)

AvalonSpirit
May 21st, 2012, 03:32 AM
Ha ha. And I thought a few hundred megs was "Very Large".
How naive of me... :)

LillyDragon
May 21st, 2012, 04:35 AM
arclance, I have over 700 wallpapers in my pictures folder, and it's doesn't make anywhere near as big of a dent in my disk space like your folder does! :P Just how massive are your wallpapers dimension-wise? I'd bet 2400x2400 on average, in PNG format. xD

Wow, mine's only half that size, but I do pretty much the same thing with my wallpapers! Would be different if Wallpapoz worked on Xfce, then I could keep a unique wallpaper for each virtual desktop. It's a lot harder to get bored of pictures that way in my experience! At that point I was only changing them every other week, but it'd take almost an hour just settling on one for each every time. xD

kostkon
May 21st, 2012, 04:43 AM
Here's mine

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=218364&stc=1&d=1337571746

malspa
May 21st, 2012, 05:05 AM
I use wallpaper changers to automatically switch wallpapers, usually every 10 minutes.

Depending on the environment, I use Wallch, Desktopnova, Wally, a cron job, or just a script. For example, I'm using Wallch with GNOME Shell and Unity.

Face-Ache
May 21st, 2012, 05:25 AM
Being a fairly new-to-Ubuntu convert, i'm definitely the 'lightweight' in this thread (see attached). I tend to change when i see something that i like, rather than actively think "I must change my wallpaper".

In saying that, the screenshots thread inspires me to change my wallpaper quite regularly at the moment, so i can see that my collection is only going to get larger :D

Copper Bezel
May 21st, 2012, 09:30 AM
Wow, mine's only half that size, but I do pretty much the same thing with my wallpapers! Would be different if Wallpapoz worked on Xfce, then I could keep a unique wallpaper for each virtual desktop. It's a lot harder to get bored of pictures that way in my experience! At that point I was only changing them every other week, but it'd take almost an hour just settling on one for each every time. xD
Yeah, I used to really appreciate Compiz's Wallpaper plugin and have a neat grid of coordinated desktops. It's not a feature that would make any sense in Shell (since workspaces are groups of windows now instead of places) but it is fairly neat, and I did find myself switching viewports based on my mood. And of course, KDE does the same thing.

black veils
May 21st, 2012, 11:43 AM
@Bandit
1241 wallpapers, that made me laugh.

i used to change mine twice a week or more, because i got bored of them. i have 50 wallpapers, that is plenty for me!

hakermania
May 21st, 2012, 11:45 AM
I use about 1000 wallpapers and rotate them with a wallpaper rotator, every 1 or 2 hours! The folder's size is about 450MB

Erik1984
May 21st, 2012, 11:53 AM
When I wrote the first post I didn't even think about automatic wallpaper changing. :lolflag:Kind of a middle of the road solution. You still need time to search papers but don't waste any time selecting them, get bored, select another, not happy, select yet another etc.

malspa
May 21st, 2012, 12:16 PM
KDE is still at the head of the pack when it comes to built-in automatic wallpaper changers. With that one, you can a different wallpaper set-up for each desktop, so I have the automatic wallpaper changer on desktop #1, but set wallpapers for desktops #2 thru #4.

arclance
May 21st, 2012, 02:50 PM
arclance, I have over 700 wallpapers in my pictures folder, and it's doesn't make anywhere near as big of a dent in my disk space like your folder does! :P Just how massive are your wallpapers dimension-wise? I'd bet 2400x2400 on average, in PNG format. xD

They are all 3840x1080, they come out of my resizing scripts as 16bit tiff files which makes their filesize large, 23.7 MB.

hakermania
May 21st, 2012, 03:22 PM
When I wrote the first post I didn't even think about automatic wallpaper changing. :lolflag:Kind of a middle of the road solution. You still need time to search papers but don't waste any time selecting them, get bored, select another, not happy, select yet another etc.

Not advertising, but Wallch in USC allows you to download a packet of 1000 wallpapers under its Edit menu :)

LillyDragon
May 21st, 2012, 07:40 PM
They are all 3840x1080, they come out of my resizing scripts as 16bit tiff files which makes their filesize large, 23.7 MB.

Whoa, too few of my wallpapers are that huge. xD I didn't even know you could use tiff images as wallpapers!

KDE is still at the head of the pack when it comes to built-in automatic wallpaper changers. With that one, you can a different wallpaper set-up for each desktop, so I have the automatic wallpaper changer on desktop #1, but set wallpapers for desktops #2 thru #4.

I am almost jealous! If I liked and used KDE, that would be a huge bonus for me, but the panels and window borders were difficult to customize last time I tried it. ;_; I'm tempted to try it again, though, since that was years ago on PCLinux2007. xD

arclance
May 21st, 2012, 07:56 PM
Whoa, too few of my wallpapers are that huge. xD I didn't even know you could use tiff images as wallpapers!
All the backgrounds in that folder are what comes out of the resizing scripts I wrote to prescale all my backgrounds for my dual 1920x1080 monitors.
Converting the images to 16bit before resizing results in smoother gradients and fewer resizing artifacts in the final image but increases the file size.
The resulting images are displayed centered in the xscreen like this using feh to set the background.
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/124/0/2/screenshot_2012_05_03___testing_conky_v1_9_0_by_ar clance-d4yjnjx.png (http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/124/a/2/screenshot_2012_05_03___testing_conky_v1_9_0_by_ar clance-d4yjnjx.png)

BrokenKingpin
May 21st, 2012, 08:02 PM
I have a few that I like that I setup once I setup my computer/OS... but I hardly ever change it after that.