PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article on Haiku OS

Duncan J Murray
May 20th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Quite an interesting article which goes into some of the arguments as to why Haiku has some unique features worth some attention.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/software/the-dawn-of-haiku-os

I'm going to give it a go on a USB stick, and see how it fares. It particularly appeals to me as I loved the old Amiga OS's, and apparently this OS can trace it's roots back..

Firefox tells me it's just downloaded, so better go!

D

Duncan J Murray
May 20th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Posting this from Haiku...

Probably not used it long enough to get a proper feel for it, but it certainly booted up quickly from the USB stick. It won't do wifi, which is a bit of problem, and the graphics seem a bit sluggish - but otherwise it seems nice, with quite a unique way of operating.

Dry Lips
May 20th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Can you run Haiku from Virtualbox?

Duncan J Murray
May 20th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Not sure, but I think you can.

Am now back to my trusty 10.04 installation...

mips
May 20th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Can you run Haiku from Virtualbox?

Yes, I've run it in VB before.
A guide, https://www.haiku-os.org/guides/virtualizing/virtualbox

Docaltmed
May 20th, 2012, 06:03 PM
From the article:

Indeed, of all the many alternative operating systems now in the works, Haiku is probably the best positioned to challenge the mainstream operating systems like Microsoft Windows and Mac OS.

Um...no.

Dry Lips
May 20th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Not sure, but I think you can.

You can... I just downloaded the iso in order to check it out. I didn't manage to get access to the internet, though...

Dry Lips
May 20th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Yes, I've run it in VB before.
A guide, https://www.haiku-os.org/guides/virtualizing/virtualbox

You beat me to it... ;)

Copper Bezel
May 20th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Um...no.
Yeah, no kidding. The tagged filesystem and threading certainly sound cool, but cool low-level architecture does not a commercial success make. Haiku wants to be a competitor for desktop Linux*, which wants to be mentioned in the same sentences as OSX, which doesn't bother pretending to compete with Windows for market share.

* I nearly flipped when I saw an optical multi drive at Radio Shack today with a "For Windows and Linux" label on. I've never seen a "For Windows and Linux" label. On anything.

catlover2
May 20th, 2012, 07:01 PM
<offtopic>

* I nearly flipped when I saw an optical multi drive at Radio Shack today with a "For Windows and Linux" label on. I've never seen a "For Windows and Linux" label. On anything.

I've never seen a physical thing with a Linux sticker, but you'd be surprised how many things on Newegg I've see that say "Compatible with Linux 2.4 or above."
</offtopic>

Copper Bezel
May 20th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Yeah, I expect that from Newegg, and I admit I haven't been inside a Radio Shack in ages, so I don't know what the target market is. It just struck me as odd to mention Linux and not OSX, which admittedly makes sense for server hardware, but this wasn't. (It was a notebook optical drive in a sleeve, like you'd use with a netbook or ultrabook that didn't have an external.)

Duncan J Murray
May 20th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Yep, Haiku seems like the leftfield choice for those who are leftfield. I'll follow it keenly, but won't hold my breath any time soon for an OS that can fulfil my needs as much as 10.04 is doing at the moment.

Lynceus
May 21st, 2012, 12:34 AM
I don't know much about Haiku OS, so i watched a tutorial from one of the developers on youTube. Quite funny, the desktop look is a time machine back to the nineties.

quote: "prefer your desk bar in a different location, no problem Haiku allows you to move the desk bar anywhere you please."
Wauw the innovation. Wish i had that in windows:lolflag:
But like i said i don't know much about Haiku, and surely you can do much more than move the desk bar.

neu5eeCh
May 21st, 2012, 02:28 AM
I don't know... I guess all such things have their positives, but to me it looks like a complete waste of time.