PDA

View Full Version : Some more cool things Linux can do and windows can't.

georgelappies
May 20th, 2012, 11:00 AM
http://maketecheasier.com/10-funny-and-useless-linux-command/2012/03/22

Amazing what fun one can have with just a fully functioning command line.

HansKisaragi
May 20th, 2012, 11:43 AM
thats cool ^_^ did not know most of those

Erik1984
May 20th, 2012, 01:24 PM
To prevent unnecessary debates please don't mention Windows if you just want to show some cool command line stuff. The focus should be on how cool Linux is, not what Windows can and cannot do.

Colo2
May 21st, 2012, 10:45 AM
To prevent unnecessary debates please don't mention Windows if you just want to show some cool command line stuff. The focus should be on how cool Linux is, not what Windows can and cannot do.

But it's factual? there's nothing to debate about...

rasmus91
May 23rd, 2012, 04:10 PM
But it's factual? there's nothing to debate about...

hehe. well, i guess thats true. But you know what the Fanboys are like, right?

Colo2
May 23rd, 2012, 04:20 PM
True :D

haqking
May 23rd, 2012, 04:23 PM
Alot of those things can be done from windows command prompt, alot of them required installing extras, you can install command line tools into windows aswell.

The majority of people who think that one thing can do something the other cant usually dont know how to use both effectively (that is not directed at anyone by the way, merely a generalisation)

Windows can do many things as can Linux etc, use what works for you or what you can make work.

Peace

-jay-
May 25th, 2012, 07:23 AM
i only knew about the cow but thanks for pointing out the rest

Lucradia
May 25th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Alot of those things can be done from windows command prompt, alot of them required installing extras, you can install command line tools into windows aswell.

The majority of people who think that one thing can do something the other cant usually dont know how to use both effectively (that is not directed at anyone by the way, merely a generalisation)

Windows can do many things as can Linux etc, use what works for you or what you can make work.

Peace

You can also still install classic gnome apps into windows with CygWin.

zombifier25
May 25th, 2012, 10:43 AM
You can also still install classic gnome apps into windows with CygWin.

Or better yet: coLinux. It's pretty much Wine from an alternate universe.

Lucradia
May 25th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Or better yet: coLinux. It's pretty much Wine from an alternate universe.

I would've tried coLinux, if I didn't have to actually install a distro into Windows:

http://www.colinux.org/screenshots/knoppix.png

I'd rather use Cygwin, since it doesn't require me to install a distribution. I'd rather tell my Linux cooperative kernel what repos to use, rather than installing a whole distro, etc.

zombifier25
May 25th, 2012, 12:41 PM
I would've tried coLinux, if I didn't have to actually install a distro into Windows:

http://www.colinux.org/screenshots/knoppix.png

I'd rather use Cygwin, since it doesn't require me to install a distribution. I'd rather tell my Linux cooperative kernel what repos to use, rather than installing a whole distro, etc.

Actually, I followed a tutorial that uses debootstrap to create a really minimal install. You must compile apps in order to use with Cygwin, while coLinux is more convenient (though very hard to set up)