PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] toasted my system can i upgrade

eddski
May 20th, 2012, 08:36 AM
was in the process of upgrading my dual-boot system w/xp. upgraded to 11.04 and was trying to remove unity, i hate it with a passion, but anyway my system is toast as far as ubuntu goes, xp is still good. i cannot even get into recovery mode, it hangs on some script. i just want to know if i can put in a 12.04 cd and upgrade it. all i wanted was my simple desktop back. thanks in advance.

wilee-nilee
May 20th, 2012, 08:40 AM
was in the process of upgrading my dual-boot system w/xp. upgraded to 11.04 and was trying to remove unity, i hate it with a passion, but anyway my system is toast as far as ubuntu goes, xp is still good. i cannot even get into recovery mode, it hangs on some script. i just want to know if i can put in a 12.04 cd and upgrade it. all i wanted was my simple desktop back. thanks in advance.

I would not try and upgrade and expect it to fix this. Back up what is there that you need and do a fresh install would be my advice, if you don't want to try and fix 11.04. Not sure a 11.04 to 12.04 is allowed as well 11.10 is in between.

eddski
May 20th, 2012, 09:06 AM
thanks for the quick reply, i might try 11.10 upgrade after backup, by the way can you tell me where i would find my firefox bookmarks?

wilee-nilee
May 20th, 2012, 09:15 AM
thanks for the quick reply, i might try 11.10 upgrade after backup, by the way can you tell me where i would find my firefox bookmarks?

I think it is a .json text, I would just copy and paste the whole .mozilla folder aside and remove the one on what ever install that works for you and paste the saved one in, you will have the same exact set up that launches the same. You could save your whole home with a rsync gui called grsync, then anything you want from the original just replace on the new install.

You have to install grsync to do this, could be done from a live cd though as well. Some users have separate homes I never bother myself, nothing is there it is all on a external basically. The grsync though will make a copy of home that looks exactly like it, and is totally accessible.

Not sure how your backing up so I suggest this method as it is easily copy and pasted from

daisyflower
May 20th, 2012, 09:58 AM
I do a backup first, then I try to upgrade. This way, if things go bad when I try to upgrade, I can just do a fresh install. Another thing, if you do a lot of upgrading and don't need to do backups as often, is to put your files on the space your Windows OS is on. This way, you can still do a fresh install and you won't lose your files.

eddski
May 22nd, 2012, 09:40 AM
thanks wilee-nilee and Daisyflower, i will copy .mozilla and backup tomorrow, hopefully it wont be that bad.

roelforg
May 22nd, 2012, 09:53 AM
thanks wilee-nilee and Daisyflower, i will copy .mozilla and backup tomorrow, hopefully it wont be that bad.

I hated the 11.04 unity, but i like the one on 11.10, and i don't like the one on 12.04...
Is anybody (besides me) also seeing the pattern here?
Because i checked and it seems a lot of others are feeling the same way.

eddski
June 2nd, 2012, 04:45 AM
thanks for the comments, but i could not copy the .json file because of encryptiion. I ended up restoriong from an earlier backup and started the upgrade process...so far so good, as long as i get to keep "gnome(no effects)".To roelforg i hate ALL versions of unity so far, it reminds me of windows, sorry i just like things simple