PDA

View Full Version : Hidden beans

MiXor
May 19th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Just wondering, why do people hide their beans?
Any hiders among you guys and gals? Why?
Awaiting answers!
:popcorn:

nothingspecial
May 19th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Some people do it because they don't like to appear more knowledgeable than they are, some do it for the opposite reason.

Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

cariboo
May 20th, 2012, 05:05 AM
I hide my beans, because since I became a staff member, the majority of my posts have to do with forum administration, and include posts I've made in the staff sub-forum.

wolfen69
May 20th, 2012, 05:43 AM
Yeah, some people may have joined in 05 or whatever, but didn't post much despite being very proficient with linux/ubuntu. But since they havn't posted much, they don't want to seem "less knowledgeable". And then opposingly, some people may want to flaunt their posts, even though they havn't really contributed much.

For whatever reason people choose, it doesn't really matter.

lisati
May 20th, 2012, 05:53 AM
I hide my beans because (a) I don't want to appear more knowledgeable than I am, and (b) a significant number of my beans these days relate to discussions in the staff-only areas of the forum.

carl4926
May 20th, 2012, 05:59 AM
I hide my beans because (a) I don't want to appear more knowledgeable than I am, and (b) a significant number of my beans these days relate to discussions in the staff-only areas of the forum.

Yeah, I know you guys chew the fat in the private area, that or you'll be discussing the massive quantity of spam we get here.

Bandit
May 20th, 2012, 06:01 AM
Yeah, some people may have joined in 05 or whatever, but didn't post much despite being very proficient with linux/ubuntu. But since they havn't posted much, they don't want to seem "less knowledgeable". And then opposingly, some people may want to flaunt their posts, even though they havn't really contributed much.

For whatever reason people choose, it doesn't really matter.

Pretty much this..

I hide mine because I dont care for them to much anymore. Back before the SuSE forums split and then shutdown I had over 20,000 post. These days I dont contribute as much technical help and dont think someone needs to be judged by their beans but instead by the quality of their character.

wolfen69
May 20th, 2012, 06:29 AM
Pretty much this..

I hide mine because I dont care for them to much anymore. Back before the SuSE forums split and then shutdown I had over 20,000 post. These days I dont contribute as much technical help and dont think someone needs to be judged by their beans but instead by the quality of their character.

I understand what you're saying, but people are not judged on post count, or lack of post count. (get it?) I've seen people with less than 1,000 posts become ubuntu members, yet those with more posts "needed some more time".

It shouldn't matter either way, but, their should be a history of contributing. (if you wannabe taken seriously)

woxuxow
May 20th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Some people do it because they don't like to appear more knowledgeable than they are, some do it for the opposite reason.
[/b].[/i]

I agree

Bandit
May 20th, 2012, 02:42 PM
I understand what you're saying, but people are not judged on post count, or lack of post count. (get it?) I've seen people with less than 1,000 posts become ubuntu members, yet those with more posts "needed some more time".

It shouldn't matter either way, but, their should be a history of contributing. (if you wannabe taken seriously)

In a perfect world I would agree.

I believe I noticed some forums are going to a voting system for users. Think that could be miss used though.